• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Knoxville, TN

94xjsport94

I wish I knew more
I am considering trying to transfer to the Knoxville plant location for the company I work for and am wondering what kind of area Knoxville is? I've only driven through on the way to Harlan and never really stopped anywhere. Everyone from my plant that has gone up there for a few weeks has loved it but I'd like to hear from some others too. I work for Flowers Baking Company and it looks like the plant is north east of downtown Knoxville on the other side of Knoxville than Windrock (haven't been there yet). Good place to live/ work? Good distance from other parks without too much traffic? Housing market? Other wheelers? FWIW, I'm 21 and single with no kids so schools and whatever else all don't really matter to me.

There's several guys here from the Knoxville area. I'm about 90 minutes east of there so I can't speak for the area but you'll be within a few hours drive of some badass wheeling in any direction you wanna go.

I've been to GMP and AOP so I'd definitely like to be closer to those places. Right now I'm 45 minutes from Morris mountain and 1.15 hours from Chocco.

Someone else please tell this fool to chill at his folks big ass house and have fun. Save some money. And wheel. For a few years atleast. If ya bad it bad over there maybe not. But fuk all the bills and other expenses that come with moving to anther state.. Will shut up and get some sleep

I was born in Knoxville and never really lived there while growing up, but my family still lives there and I really enjoy going to visit. The downtown scene is GREAT...there are breweries popping up every week it seems like. You'd only be 2hrs from harlan, 1hr from Windrock, 2hrs 15 from AOP, 3hrs to Hale, etc.

Prob one of the biggest advantages to living/working in TN is there's no state income tax. Yes taxes are higher, but you can control how that affects you by what you choose to buy in TN. If I had the option to move to TN...I'd do it.

I have lived in Knoxville the majority of my life after moving here from Harlan when I was a kid. I love Knoxville. It's just big enough to have plenty to do but not so big that we have gang problems or anything like that. The area that the plant you are referring to is close to the Fountain City area of Knoxville which isn't bad at all if you like living in the city. I live in South Knox which is a little trashy closer to downtown and is the best area of Knoxville on the most southern areas. I live in the last road in south Knox county which my area is all old farms and wooded land. West Knox is built up with big ass expensive houses, malls and shopping centers and traffic sucks. North Knox is good furthers north but like south gets trashier the closer you get to downtown. The inner East side of Knoxville has all the folks of a colored variety. Id be glad to show you around sometime if you wanted to come down.

kushKrawlin said:
Someone else please tell this fool to chill at his folks big ass house and have fun. Save some money. And wheel. For a few years atleast. If ya bad it bad over there maybe not. But fuk all the bills and other expenses that come with moving to anther state.. Will shut up and get some sleep

I gotta go with Kush on this one, Will. Relax while you can and build yourself a nice nest egg. If you've got the urge to get out of your parents house rent a place with some buddies for a while. Uprooting to a different town, let alone state where you don't know anyone is a huge adjustment. Been there.

Kush complains about the 45 minute drive to Morris saying it's too far, you think he'd move?!? Lol. Just looking for something different, Carrollton is just played out and I think I'd like to live in Knoxville or Chattanooga. I'm really not even sure they will let me move but it would be interesting if they did. I'm saving money living at home still but I'm tired of feeling like a burden being here and not being able to down my own thang. They don't like the whole Jeep junkyard idea in the back yard or parking lot because I own 4 vehicles... But they get their fair share of work out of my between the house and business. Guess I'll just keep on keepin on

Shore is a LOT of money moving out for the first time on your own! I bought a small house (same one I still live in) over 6 years ago when I was 23 and moved out of the 'rent's house. All I had was the **** that was in my bedroom and a few odd and end tools I'd acquired. Didn't have any extra money saved up for furniture, big tv, or ****! Luckily I went to school with the couple I bought it from, they were a few years older than myself, and they left all the appliances and living room furniture in on the deal. Clean people and the house was only 3.5 yrs old, so that was a pretty sweet deal. It was a struggle off the bat to afford the lifestyle I was accustomed to living and paying everything that came along with a new house. For the longest I had a shitty old school 27" tv and a cheap dvd player on a little bitty tv stand, one recliner, and one couch in the living room, that's it. I bet I lived there for close to 2 years before it actually looked like someone lived there because there was so little **** in there lol. I made a lot less money at my current job then, and really cut my finances close moving out on my own. I wasn't extremely in debt, but I had a few toys, a couple of which I owed on. Looking back, I was not prepared like I should have been, but I made it.

That's the only advice I can give you, be fully financially prepared, it will be one thing after another, just like building a rig. With that said, if you are ready to make the move, I fully advocate independence! Rock out, live life, and see new places while you are young!

Edit: Oh, and I went to a concert in downtown Knoxville a couple years ago, really enjoyed it up there. Don't know much about the surrounding areas, but downtown was pretty cool. Now if you want to talk about Chattanooga, I fawking loooooove Chattanooga. That's about 50 min north of me. We go up there to eat/drink a lot. Ride bikes up there a bunch too. Super awesome badass city imo. Best choice of pubs/bars/restaurants around. Centrally located to a lot of stuff, including offroad parks.

I've lived here for 34 years (minus a stint in the Army), and I have to say, it's probably as good as it's gonna get. One of the only places I've seen where you can get fired today and be working less than a week from now. The longest I've ever been unemployed is about a week. So if you move here and the boss is a prick, you wouldn't have to worry about giving him the :flipper: and walking out on Monday, you'll be working another (probably better) job by Thursday.

Proximity to wheeling is awesome, 45 min to Windrock, 45 to Royal Blue, 2 hrs to Harlan, Golden Mountain and AOP, 3 1/2 to Wooly's, 4 1/2 to Stoney and HPO.

Smokey Mountain National Park is an hour from me. Rod Run is there in Pigeon Forge twice a year.

UT campus is full of vagina.

It is hard to be an Alabama fan here. :dunno:

Lakes galore.

Homes are about as cheap as anywhere as long as you stay out of the "trendy" areas. I live in South Knoxville (so does pholmann), cheap as hell on this side of town without being in the hood. I'm 10-15 min from downtown and it doesn't feel like it.

Going to HPO had me looking at real estate in the Tuscumbia area, but I don't think I'd ever trade what I got for it.

I live in West Knoxville. Still some farm land left , but I is disappearing fast. These idiots don't nt understand farmers feed their asses. You can snow ski, water ski, wheel rock climb , sky dive and hike all in the same day.
Bring your guns and come on up.

If I didn't live in Cookeville I'd live in Knoxville or Chatty. Spent a lot of time in both, and have friends that live in near both.

I'd recommend it. :dblthumb:

Maaaaaaan ! Move to Chattanooga, I need a roommate !

And I'd be more than happy with a jeep junkyard in the backyard and wrenching parties all night long :woot:

About the uprooting part, I think I have some experience in that department :rolf: my take on this is that it is awesome. Alright, it costs you some money, it messes up with your routine, but I also feel it's an excellent way to get out of your comfort zone and become more adaptable.

I left in 3 different countries in the past 4 years. Loved every second.

Edit : it's also an awesome way to meet new people. I'm so grateful for all the nice persons I've met since moving here

Damn 5 bros you put a hard sell on Knoxville, makes me want to move up there. :****:
You had me at 2 hours to Harlen.
Good luck whatever you decide Will.

Latest posts