• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

landcruiser?

FIVE~0~NINE--Wheeler

i was lookin at a 88 fj60 landcruiser. any real problems with these? i know they were made for off-roading. what are the pros and cons?.. oh, and what is the difference between the hj60 and the fj60??
-thanks

Are you even serious about this one???? First you were getting the cherokee, then the yota pickup, and now you say this thing. :76:

Besides........ I thought you said "YOU ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT TOYOTAS"
There can't be anything we can tell you, that you don't already know.:fawkdancesmiley:

Are you even serious about this one???? First you were getting the cherokee, then the yota pickup, and now you say this thing. :76:

Besides........ I thought you said "YOU ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT TOYOTAS"
There can't be anything we can tell you, that you don't already know.:fawkdancesmiley:
these have different engines. i ment i know alot about the 22r/20r engines. i am just trying to find a good vehicle. the last couple trucks i have looked at have been either over priced, or were already sold. i just am trying to figure out what i want to build. if im gonna put that much money and time into somthing. i want it to be worth it... and why do u even post anything if you are not a tiny bit helpful. u seriously are that frickin bored?!?

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
OK, here's the skinny on the FJ-60. It's a fairly capable platform, although not nearly as tough as the venerable FJ40 IMVHO, nor the 2nd gen. landCruiser, the FJ70 series. The FJ60 was built as more of a grocery getter which could be used as an offorad rig on occasion, whereas the FJ40 was built as an offroad rig which could be used on the pavement occasionally. I've owned a couple of FJ60s and a lot of FJ40s and a couple of FJ70s.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
OK, here's the skinny on the FJ-60. It's a fairly capable platform, although not nearly as tough as the venerable FJ40 IMVHO, nor the 2nd gen. landCruiser, the FJ70 series. The FJ60 was built as more of a grocery getter which could be used as an offorad rig on occasion, whereas the FJ40 was built as an offroad rig which could be used on the pavement occasionally. I've owned a couple of FJ60s and a lot of FJ40s and a couple of FJ70s.
Your friend;
LAMAR
what is the best year for the fj40s?

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
I personally prefer the last years of the FJ40, that being the 8/80 thru 4/84 year models, altho 1983 was possibly the last year model for the FJ40 in the USA and Canada. These later year models all have factory 2 piece t-cases, 19 spline t-case shafts and the strongest OEM Birfields available, besides the 92-98 Hi-Lux diesel Birfs.

Also, the last year model FJ40s seem to suffer from less body rust and damage than the earlier ones do. Also, the later 2F engines came with the large cap electronic ignition system, an improved carburetor, front disc brakes and some of the very last ones even came with AC!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
As to the second part of your original question, which I did not see earlier, all of the older series Toyotas such as the J40, J60 and J70 series, used the first letter of the model designator to designate the type of engine that was originally installed in the vehicle. For example:
FJ40=F series I6 gasoline engine
HJ40=H series I6 diesel engine
BJ40=B series I4 diesel engine

Therefore, an HJ60 would came originally equipped with the H-block I6 diesel engine and the FJ60 the I6 gasoline engine.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Just get a 80 series landcruiser and build it. Great ride, 1fz-fe 4.5 liter I6. You can get factory e-lockers front and rear. I was going to sell mine but now I am going to chop the back off of it.

Dear theside00;
To the best of my knowledge, Toyota never installed a front locking or a limited slip differential in one of their 4X4s, probably due to the threat of a massive lawsuit, however, since the front and rear carriers are identical, there's absolutely no reason why a person can't take an existing rear factory e-locker and install it in the front diff. This is a very popular upgrade down here although the factory e-lockers are getting sort of rare nowdays because everybody wants to lock their front diffs.
Your friend;
LAMAR

do u mean e-locker for the differentials or like e-locking hubs? i look at those. they are more expensive though. im trying to find somthing cheap then build it up.

Dear 5-0-9 Wheeler;
We are discussing the actual locking differentials and not the locking hubs, my friend. The best option would be to pass on the TRD e-lockers because they are both spendy and problematic, and instead go with the Aussie lockers, unless you are going to lift the bejeebus out of the rig and stick massive tires underneath it. If that's the route you're planning on taking then you'll probably need something more beefy than the Aussie lockers.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dear theside00;
To the best of my knowledge, Toyota never installed a front locking or a limited slip differential in one of their 4X4s, probably due to the threat of a massive lawsuit, however, since the front and rear carriers are identical, there's absolutely no reason why a person can't take an existing rear factory e-locker and install it in the front diff. This is a very popular upgrade down here although the factory e-lockers are getting sort of rare nowdays because everybody wants to lock their front diffs.
Your friend;
LAMAR

A small percentage of '93-97 80 series Cruisers came w/ front and rear e-lockers. Got 2 of 'em sitting in my garage.:redneck:

I have a 1993 FZJ80 with two factory e-lockers at the axles and a Center diff lock to lock the all time 4wd to a true 4wd.

You can pick up one not locked on craigslist for 3k-6k and build them up. Best wheeler I have had. The best part is getting to the trail and back it is nice and comfortable and then on the dusty trails you close everything up and use AC and wheel in comfort. Even have leather seats.

Just stay away from the 91-92 they have the old engine which is worse.

these have different engines. i ment i know alot about the 22r/20r engines. i am just trying to find a good vehicle. the last couple trucks i have looked at have been either over priced, or were already sold. i just am trying to figure out what i want to build. if im gonna put that much money and time into somthing. i want it to be worth it... and why do u even post anything if you are not a tiny bit helpful. u seriously are that frickin bored?!?

Why do you even bother to ask? You clearly don't take anyones advice. Everyone told you not to buy a Cherokee, and you were about to buy one anyways. Are you gonna ask dumb questions about every cheap 4x4 you come across on craigslist?