• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Laptop to 50" Flat screen TV

C

Cole

I got one of the Mini Dell Laptops and I want to hook it up to my TV so the tv is the monitor. What do I need to make this happen?

Im gonna guess some kind of cable. If you had a PS3 you could run it through there and save a lot of stuff on it. 80Gb,

Look on eBay for a long monitor cable. I have one on my large Sony. You will have to toggle the display on the laptop. Normally it is Function F4. First time they are pressed it goes to the TV, second goes to both, third goes back to laptop. I found I never use mine.

You need a long serial cable. Look on the back of your desktop it is the cable that runs from monitor to cpu, has blue ends. When you plug it up it will pick the tv up as an external monitor (if the tv has the correct hookup on the back). From there you can select to use just the tv, just the laptop, or both (dual view). If you use both you can have them be clones or seperate displays. If you setup seperate displays there are some more steps you need to do. For Dell laptops the function toggles is FN+F8. How long of a cord you need, I may have one at work..

Alright I need around an 8ft cable or longer. Also I am not sure if my laptop has the right plugs because it is a Mini laptop.

Cole said:
Alright I need around an 8ft cable or longer. Also I am not sure if my laptop has the right plugs because it is a Mini laptop.
it should.

for my laptop i use a docking station that is hooked into the tv, keyboard, and mouse. that way all i have to do is dock the laptop.

your tv should have a dvi or vga plug on it that will mate to your laptop via a cable. if your laptop is really new it should have an hdmi port that could be used as well (assuming your tv has hdmi)

Yeah my TV has everything needed to hook a computer up to it. Just gotta get the cord now I guess.

Cole said:
Yeah my TV has everything needed to hook a computer up to it. Just gotta get the cord now I guess.

Look for a plug on your laptop that matches what is on your TV. You might have a HDMI hookup on the lt, but I doubt it since those are usually on high end laptops.

My laptop actually has the s-video plug , it is round and has about 4 pins inside it. But you can get conversion cables. USB to almost anything you could imagine..... Best Buy normally has what you need but 10 times higher than buying one offline.

caglezxj said:
My laptop actually has the s-video plug , it is round and has about 4 pins inside it. But you can get conversion cables. USB to almost anything you could imagine..... Best Buy normally has what you need but 10 times higher than buying one offline.

you would get alot better picture on your tv with the VGA or DVI standard monitor hookup.

i use DVI for my laptop to tv and VGA for my 360.