• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Last Question....Steering and Links

Glen1978

Sun does shine on a DOGS ASS!
I want to start off with you guys have been awesome helping me on this build so far. I always have to run on a limited budget and this one is no fn different. Ive got my suspension finally settled after talkin to EOR this morning but to get this thing on its on feet need steering and link help. Rig is hulled out 4runner, tons, LS engine, TH350, 242/205 doubler on 43" SX's. I was thinking 2.25 inch bottom links with 3/8 wall. Top I was thinking 2" with 1/4 wall....not sure I can get away with 1.75", .120 wall. All 1.25" heims except for panhard on 3 link....7/8". I cant afford aluminum....dammit.

As for steering I have no stock pump on my motor or Id try like hell to run that. I thought about originally running all PSC double ended ram but thats $1650 for the kit. I can build up something cheaper I think. Im thinking about the ole tried and true SE ag ram with tie rod on top of the arms. I have Artec arms so not sure I can do that. Id like about 3 turns lock to lock. Not sure on LR or NLR though. Id like to buy new from Motion or someone....dont wont forklift j/y stuff. TSC for Ag ram, stock pump with PSC resevoir is kinda where I wana be...best bang for my buck. talk amongst yourselves. AND Thanks again!! Yall have saved me alot of money and headache!!

I did think about going that route. I tried to get one of those for my last rig I built but they were backordered or something....been a few years.

Mainly just trying to get around shelling out $1300 or 1600 bucks to PSC....to be honest. There has got to be a way around that. I see ALOT of you guys running the TSC ag ram so figured there were some other cheaper ways in the pump / orbital department too.

I just bought the 2x8 ram a few weeks ago. Might want to check into it. The only clevis ends for the ram I found will run you about 110.00 shipped to you. I got the tg ends. Gonna have to shave a touch off the head off the cap bolt because the heim barely scrapes it.

I think I have talked myself into that Surplus Center DE ram, PSC pump and reservoir. Just need to figure on a orbital. CJ at EOR recommended the Trailgear orbital and said it would work fine with either the SC double ended ram OR the TSC single ended ram. My research told me that PSC changes between 7.3 and 9.7 cu/in going from SE to DE rams respectively. Just wana do this right the first time and not hate my steering. My last rig had JUNK steering and I fn hated it!

Check vendors section...theres a guy that has good deals on orbitals

On my rigs I run 2" .250 lower links and only bent one very slightly. Uppers I use 1.5"x .250 wall.
Last rig I ran 1.25 heims and felt they were overkill. I now run 7/8" on lowers and 3/4" on uppers.

Price getting 2" .250 tubing and sleeving it with 1.5" .250. Or 1.5 .120

Glen1978 said:
Yeah from what I have read he has turned out to be a flake......if we are talking about the same cat.

From what I've seen, you just have to call him. (during business hours)

He even said he doesn't regularly check PMs or the thread.

I got one from 1 ton rubicon on here. Ordered on a Monday at my door step on. Wednesday. I've personally had good luck with him. Can't remember the price off hand but got the orbital and the column seems to work great. I have his number if you want it. Just pm me.

That's the same number I have. You may try texting him. We've texted back and forth a few times too. He works at a hydraulic shop in Chattanooga that's how he gets the deals on the orbitals. I've got the surplus de ram and run a stock GM pump with one of his orbitals and I'm happy with the way it works. But I'm easy to please.

I was going to buy an orbital from the same guy. Talked to him a few weeks ago, he helped me decide on which orbital I needed. I'm still waiting on his paypal info. I would like to send some funds his way but no luck yet. I think he stays pretty busy at his shop.

I just talked to him. He recommended a 100cc for a about 2.5 LTL steering on the SC double ended ram. Said I could go up to the 125 but it would get it closer to 2 LTL.

From Surplus center I'd definitely go with the 2.5" ram for more power.

Their rams have large shafts, which cuts down on your pressure area.

10-4 Nick. Thanks a ton for your help.

****, fidna drop about $5K tomorrow if I can get everyone to answer there phone....lol. Ready to get this bitch rollin on its on feet. Sad thing is still gota drop PTC dough for a tranny, seats/ harnesses, ECM and wire my LS engine, driveshafts, winch, radiator / coolers for everything.....oh and then let the misc BS start addin up.

I'll give you a call just for good measure....figure the whole south will be shutdown tomorrow due to this weather...lol! Were pretty iced up here in east Texas.

highrolrcustoms said:
For $5k ill answer my phone ;D

You didnt answer...... :gtfo:

LOL, well called EOR and got my coilovers ordered up and all of my steering minus the orbital. CJ was cool enough to grab me a DE ram from Surplus Center so I dont have to order it seperately.

Well ordered all my heims from Barnes....dang there cheap. Ruffstuff even with a 20% off coupon is still higher. I went 1.25" on all the lowers and 7/8 heims on the uppers. Planning a trip next week to get some DOM. Im up in the air on the lowers. 2.25 x 1.5 ($14.85/ft) or 2.5 x 1.5 ($11.85/ft)?? Uppers Im pretty sure Im gona go 1.75 x 1.25 ($7.92/ft). I thought about making the uppers out of 1.75 x 1.5 ($6.25/ft) but just dont know if thats enuff beef. What yall thank?