• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Late night crew.

civicmindedex79 said:
We run so short that basically anytime someone takes vacation we have to bring one in to cover. Pretty much we never get vacation time, just swap it out with others. I try to work about 50 hours a week. That is what allows me to race and live comfortably. I usually never work under 110-120 hours every two weeks.

Basically our company (my department) lives on overtime. We stay at a 30-34% overtime as a whole for the papermaking dept.

Hence the name of my buggy that I could never afford without the overtime.

My Dad and Uncle both went to work at SCA. I think my uncle is in shipping and dad is in the 2nd story of the operating floor offices on #12 machine

I handle a lot of the shipping/logistics and client management for our company. Office 8-5 M-F but usually end up on the phone or computer until 8-9 most nights at the apartment because of trade shows in the more western time zones. Not a bad gig at all. We have some times of the year where we are slower than **** and you know the guy next to you is just on the computer bs'ing. But when we are WFO there is no stopping. We are all salaried but when we have big new builds, our management team will usually give us bonus' for all the OT we put in. They don't have to do that, but they take care of us when it comes to having to travel all over to these shows then come home and be in the shop building a new booth during the busy seasons. Perks of all the travel is that we have a per-diem and company CC so expenses for that time and all the hotel/flight points are on someone else's dime. No food/fuel/fun expenses for a week or more at a time is pretty nice and really adds up at the end of the month. I may not have the time to build/wheel as much as I used to, but this job beats the **** out of being a retail manager like I used to be.

Stretch said:
I handle a lot of the shipping/logistics and client management for our company. Office 8-5 M-F but usually end up on the phone or computer until 8-9 most nights at the apartment because of trade shows in the more western time zones. Not a bad gig at all. We have some times of the year where we are slower than **** and you know the guy next to you is just on the computer bs'ing. But when we are WFO there is no stopping. We are all salaried but when we have big new builds, our management team will usually give us bonus' for all the OT we put in. They don't have to do that, but they take care of us when it comes to having to travel all over to these shows then come home and be in the shop building a new booth during the busy seasons. Perks of all the travel is that we have a per-diem and company CC so expenses for that time and all the hotel/flight points are on someone else's dime. No food/fuel/fun expenses for a week or more at a time is pretty nice and really adds up at the end of the month. I may not have the time to build/wheel as much as I used to, but this job beats the **** out of being a retail manager like I used to be.

I think I'd enjoy something like that. I wouldn't mind a bit traveling for a job. People say it loses it's luster fast, but hell any job does that whether you travel any or not. Between the 3 jobs I've had in the past 12 years, I've never had more than a 15 minute drive for work....and even that gets old lol. I think traveling some and spending time in different locations, meeting new people, would be right up my alley. Keeps **** interesting. Would be a little less convenient if I had a wife and kids at home, but I'm not at that point yet.

Re: Re: Re: Late night crew.

TacomaJD said:
I think I'd enjoy something like that. I wouldn't mind a bit traveling for a job. People say it loses it's luster fast, but hell any job does that whether you travel any or not. Between the 3 jobs I've had in the past 12 years, I've never had more than a 15 minute drive for work....and even that gets old lol. I think traveling some and spending time in different locations, meeting new people, would be right up my alley. Keeps **** interesting. Would be a little less convenient if I had a wife and kids at home, but I'm not at that point yet.
Traveling could be how you meet your wife???

TacomaJD said:

Our sales guy and our production manager both have kids in the 3-5 age range so they do get a little tired of the travel after a while. There are a few clients I handle now since I joined the company simply to take the travel load off of them since I can pick up and go whenever. It does make it tough on them to be away so much when their kids are at that age. Just this year I have been to Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, NYC, Boston and I still have trips to Lake Elsinore and San Diego on the books with possibles to DC and Atlanta. My mom or girlfriend watches my dog while I am gone and other than dropping him off with them I just pack my bags and roll out. This job is the perfect balance to not make me go bat **** crazy doing the same thing. Some days I am in the warehouse prepping shipments or doing any custom lighting/wiring for the exhibits and other days I can sit here and **** off while I set up FedEx, UPS and all my LTL carrier shipments.

Stretch said:
Our sales guy and our production manager both have kids in the 3-5 age range so they do get a little tired of the travel after a while. There are a few clients I handle now since I joined the company simply to take the travel load off of them since I can pick up and go whenever. It does make it tough on them to be away so much when their kids are at that age. Just this year I have been to Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, NYC, Boston and I still have trips to Lake Elsinore and San Diego on the books with possibles to DC and Atlanta. My mom or girlfriend watches my dog while I am gone and other than dropping him off with them I just pack my bags and roll out. This job is the perfect balance to not make me go bat **** crazy doing the same thing. Some days I am in the warehouse prepping shipments or doing any custom lighting/wiring for the exhibits and other days I can sit here and **** off while I set up FedEx, UPS and all my LTL carrier shipments.

See that's sounds okay there. Traveling like every week would suck, but being broken up in spurts with still having time at home sounds about perfect to me. I have been to Orlando, Charlotte, and Atlanta for Hazmat training over the years, but it's usually only about once a year or so. I would like to do it more.

A buddy of mine is an electrical engineer and used to fly to Maryland every week. He got 3 day weekends home, but every single week for quite a while, he worked in Maryland. That would get old quick.

If the job with my prosthetic care company works out like we've been talking about for almost 2 years, I think it's gonna be pretty much what I desire in a job. Traveling marketing rep/patient care coordinator, basically servicing an area that mostly stretches only an hour and a half from home. So basically I'd have **** to do in different cities every day, lots of driving, but still would be able to be at home in the evening most of the time. Got my fingers crossed on that one.

cmoultrie said:
My Dad and Uncle both went to work at SCA. I think my uncle is in shipping and dad is in the 2nd story of the operating floor offices on #12 machine

Small world brother. I am on PM 12 also. Who is your family??

I work at SCA in Barton,Al. My machine primarly makes napkin and paper towel parent rolls.

civicmindedex79 said:
Small world brother. I am on PM 12 also. Who is your family??

I work at SCA in Barton,Al. My machine primarly makes napkin and paper towel parent rolls.

My dad is Randy Moultrie. My uncle is Mike Berryman(not blood kin haha)

Re:

I drive a lot at night. However it depends on how quickly the trailer gets loaded as to who is driving when. This week I've driven all nights but last week the wife drove at night. I much prefer night driving. No traffic and mostly trucks.

I work a dupont schedule 12 hr shifts 3 shifts one week 4 the next flopping between days and nites. The best part is we get 7 days off in a row every month if you dont pick up ot.

Re: Re: Late night crew.

Best part of 2nd shift is Sunday night is like an extra weekend night to stay up late!

aryzu4av.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Late night crew.

TacomaJD said:
Best part of 2nd shift is Sunday night is like an extra weekend night to stay up late!

aryzu4av.jpg
Speak for yourself... my Sunday night means these little ****ers are ready to get out, machines run hot. Cause a/c's to overheat and trip out compressor(that are on the roof and have to be reset) and I'm the only man to look after em.
3982bf9e0247193edbabaae876069a84.jpg

Got to love 3rd shift I been wide awake since 6:00am this morning and don't have to go in to work til 10:30pm... Damn Mondays are just too long with no rest,even if I stay up all Sunday night I still get up too early on Mondays

Re:

http://youtu.be/F8-7WTYaGD4

The fun I get to have... pretty sure I'm still high, can definitely see why people lace pot with formaldehyde

I'm a control systems mechanic (aka "troubleshooter") at a chemical plant. I work a rotationg 12 hr shift schedule, either 6:30a-6:30p, or 6:30p-6:30a. I'm only scheduled to work 14 our of every 28 days (7 days and 7 nights). But I pick up a lot of OT on days off. It's nice when you can make OT pay 12 hrs at a time.

My schedule is a 28 day cycle that goes like this:

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night shifts. (off until Friday morning)

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday day shifts. (off Monday)

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night shifts. (off until Monday morning)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday day shifts. (off for 7 days, aka long weekend, until the next Friday night which starts the cycle all over again)

I actually prefer the night shifts myself. Less :tc and :stir: to deal with. I used to work a 6:30a-3p M-F shift. I was doing the same job, but did mostly planned and scheduled work. Now that I'm on shift work we're only here as a just in case. If the plant is running good I'm sitting here with my feet up on the desk cruising Hardline (I'm on my Sunday day shift now), sleeping or watching something on my Ipad. Then there's those shifts where everything goes to hell and I may barely sit down all night. But honestly I spend more time at work not working than I do actually working. :****: