• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leaf Spung Buggy

also look at all the formula toys out there--they work fine and you can upgrade the suspension as you go...

Not trying to start a pissing match or ragging on the build...

The attraction of Formula Toys & leafs is the low cost compared to links & coils.

Side by side with a 4 linked buggy w/coilovers they will not keep up. Which is why you don't see many, if any at all, leaf sprung rigs in the higher classes in the comps.

Although, none of this matters for Red...I've seen him drive :redneck:

Not trying to start a pissing match or ragging on the build...

The attraction of Formula Toys & leafs is the low cost compared to links & coils.

Side by side with a 4 linked buggy w/coilovers they will not keep up. Which is why you don't see many, if any at all, leaf sprung rigs in the higher classes in the comps.

Although, none of this matters for Red...I've seen him drive :redneck:

And I am not going to agru this fact--- But for chris is boils down to $$. if he had the cash then there would not be any leafs on his new rig...

Although I have seen a few drivers with leafs have no problem keeping up on the trail...

I hear you on this arguement Mike.

I too am struggling with what to do with the suspension. Do I work hard, and build the toy with leafs this spring and go wheeling, or do I work hard and build it "right" with coilovers by next winter?

I'm just wondering why waste time and energy on a leaf sprung buggy? Leaf springs suck I know I've got em!?

We new this would could come up. This is the reason we even posted it. This kid is 18. When he is your age I'll bet HE'LL build something for himself that is more expensive. There was no question that we needed to build a tube chassis when the factory frame was bent more than 8 inchs front to back. It's not really that difficult or time consuming to build a buggy. Hell... it's way easier than modifiying a stock rig. You can put everything where you want to without having to cut off a stupid bracket!!! The best parts about this is that it's built with cash and we built it. Plus it's fun to see something come together.

I'm just wondering why waste time and energy on a leaf sprung buggy? Leaf springs suck I know I've got em!?

dont tell megatoy, he might have a stroke. his leaves work fine with 47s at the hammers. he has less in the whole truck than a propperly set up link suspension.

I like to wheel more than work=leafs are cheap and work fine.

whats the cost of a broke leaf? cheap

whats the cost of a bent or broke link or end? shocks, driveline etc.

dont dream about wheeling your fantasy in ten years, get out on the trail today for cheap!!!

Mark--when is your S&N rig going to be done?

Ya I thought so---Not everybody can afford to dump a **** load of $$ into a rig...

also look at all the formula toys out there--they work fine and you can upgrade the suspension as you go...

I was just wondering mang, not trying to flame.

I mean if he's bending tube and going through all the hassles of buggy-age he might as well set up simple links on coil springs? Hell even do the "Ken-Trick" and use Bronco front suspension in front will perform better offroad than leafs.
I understand budgets too, my 4 springs cost around $500. that money for a Fab-guy could easily cover a better suspension than leaf springs, am I wrong?
:awesomework:

I understand budgets too, my 4 springs cost around $500. that money for a Fab-guy could easily cover a better suspension than leaf springs, am I wrong?

$500?? that wont even buy a set of air shocks. your lookin at about $400 just for 16 rod ends or JJ. ever price 2 inch .25 or .5 wall dom for links??

leaves rule for cheap. remember the KISS rule for building?

SIMPLE:awesomework:

$500?? that wont even buy a set of air shocks. your lookin at about $400 just for 16 rod ends or JJ. ever price 2 inch .25 or .5 wall dom for links??

leaves rule for cheap. remember the KISS rule for building?

SIMPLE:awesomework:

Dude I'm not talking about new chit, Pull-A-Part, front ends off 1/2 ton Furd trucks. That keep it within a budget. Like I said I'm runnin Leafs Rubicon Express YJ leafs, they're good and I do get around well, but if I was going through all the trouble of building a low-budget buggy I'd go coils up front (remember, cheap off a 1/2 ton Ford or similar) and leafs in the rear. But hey that's just me and I guess a guy can't ask simple questions aroun dhere without gettin jumped.

No wonder I haven't been posting much around here,this place seems real un-friendly like....lost of mis-directed animosity.. yeah.....
:rolleyes:

I mean if he's bending tube and going through all the hassles of buggy-age he might as well set up simple links on coil springs? Hell even do the "Ken-Trick" and use Bronco front suspension in front will perform better offroad than leafs.

Just throwing it into prospective.....:awesomework:

Me too, so am I wrong?

I don't agree--you can do a good solid chassis and then upgrade to "good" parts--not that junk that ken used to do. But thats just how I am,lol...

The only downside to doing it how chris/sam are doing it--the chassis will be alot wider and longer due to the leafs for when its ready for links as aposed to doing a rid with links/coilovers right from the start.

But this will give both sam and chris a very good learing experiance for future chassis's...

But the bottom line chris will have a good solid rig to go wheel with...

Yeah, I suppose the "upgrade" path works but is it more economical than piecing together some kind of alternative to leafs in front, thats all I'm saying. And no doing it completely "Ken Style" is not what I was advocating, (no .125" walled square tube link extentions) just the principal behind setting up a cost effective performance oriented set up. Heck I knew this guy once that modified his Cherokees rear suspension on the cheap. It outperformed alot of other rigs better than his (driver) and probably cost him more in Beer than material.

:;

Anyways I'm done :beatdeadhorse: with this one!

Peace !

M:redneck:

Some of you guys over estimate what it cost to put together a link suspension on the cheap. Don't use new blingn parts, look for deals and you would be suprised...
I don't have anything against leafs either but if you think they keep up just fine you need to get off of the flat and level beginner trails.:awesomework:

I don't have anything against leafs either but if you think they keep up just fine you need to get off of the flat and level beginner trails.:awesomework:

Word:awesomework:

I still agree with the concept and understandable restrictions of this particular build. Get 'er dun guys!

We'll ALL have new buggies the next time out.:cool:

Some of you guys over estimate what it cost to put together a link suspension on the cheap. Don't use new blingn parts, look for deals and you would be suprised...

You know Binder,

A NWW collective "guide" to building various things on our projects (suspension, metal work, etc.) might be a useful tool for newbs like me and the regular kind of guy alike. You have seen similar stuff by the moderators at Pirate about metal, links and so on.

How about a NWW linked suspension idea thread / article that makes some suggestions on theory + products and provides a few helpful resources. Perhaps Ol' Crashy could target certain "retailers", suppliers and other fab dudes from the board in the article. I don't know, maybe I am too pro-active for all of your good- hah!

Anyhow, good luck on your leafy buggy!

my suspension on my buggy, links with chromoly rod ends and air shocks only cost me $1000 for the parts and it was all new stuff. use ebay it saves. my old rig with coils front and leafs rear probably cost just as much and it was all used **** other that good shocks which he will need to make his leafs work good. Just take a little more time and do it right the first time.

lotta haters out there. I think its sick to be out there stuntin on so old school tech, at 18 the bling aint where its at, its about being out there as much as possible. Good luck with this thing

Ben

Paulie and I are building a leaf buggy (more him than me lately) he has the upgrade later thing in mind, given it is being built as it's getting link's and shocks, there is a little compromise now, but it is all in preperation for when he is linked. I deleted his build thread because of the haters and the bitchers. People are just a little too narrow minded around here in my opinion. Not a damn thing wrong with what's going on here.......nice work, take your time, have fun.