• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leave the keys in the rig?

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
During the last trip this weekend, I noticed that during the times on the trail when everyone got out to watch or assist with an obstacle, many people were taking thier keys out of thier rigs. Even though at many times, we were walking over 100+ yards away from them.

Do you leave your keys in your junk while on the trail?

I do, this way if something should happen, or someone needs to move it, they can.

If I'm just jumping out for a minute and the rig is in sight, I leave the keys in just to minimize the chance of dropping them or losing them on the trail. If it's out of my sight, the keys come with me. No one jumps in my rig to move it unless I give them my express permission.

I also do this so in case if anybody needs to move it they can and many guys have driven my rig thru the trail to get the rigs caught up when I am busy helping. I have never heard of anybody driving off with a rig like that before and typically its the very last rig you have to worry about anyways..

It depends on how far I'm walking. Normally I take my keys with me, not that I dont trust the people I wheel with (well not all of them) But I dont trust what might be in the woods waiting for an oportunity. :cool:

JOOP said:
But I dont trust what might be in the woods waiting for an oportunity. :cool:

If I were going to steal a car, I wouldn't waste my time sitting in the woods waiting for a rig to drive by.

Most people cant figure out how to start mine so im not to worried about it i leave em in, plus you would have to know wheere to look for the keys to even see if they were in it to begin with :D

i usually leave them in the jeep, when on a trail, if someone was stupid enough to take it, are they really gonna get that far?dont think so, but if im in a place that i dont know well or in an larger opening, ill take them out.
but what alot of guys(with tj, toyotas,samis)dont like driving YJS cause "they are not real jeeps"

crash said:
I go to the woods to get away from that.

X2

Mine doesn't take a key, but it'll take someone 6 months to figure out how to start it. Unless they already know, in which case I prolly trust them to move it for me? Plus I'd hear it from 100 yds too? Love the Flowmaster. Mostly I don't let it outta my sight.

We always leave keys in when in a group and spectating. A thief would get all of 200 yards and be yanked from the rig, beaten within an inch of his life, and left face down in the nearest mud hole. I ain't worried :D

One place I get paranoid though is at the end of the wall trail. We ALWAYS grab the keys, but the distance from the closure to the wall is just far enough that some asshat could drive up and steel the tool bag and whatever else is onboard that day and be gone and we'd never hear a thing. Freaks me out every time we go up there.

Yeah, if it's an open area or near the trail head no. But on the trail yes.
However, if I needed a rig moved, I would never just get in and do it without asking people who owns it first. Even if it was someone I knew. I remember at the clean up last fall Jason's rig was in the way. Kelley was right there so I asked her if she could move it. She laughed and said "I ain't driving that thing!" Here, you move it. Even though I got permission from his wife, I still felt weird about doing that without asking him.

I usually leave mine in it, I do not want to drop them and if it needs moved someone can move it. I would like to see someone try to race off with it in double low, hmmm a real slow speed chase :haha:

Comet said:
Yeah, if it's an open area or near the trail head no. But on the trail yes.
However, if I needed a rig moved, I would never just get in and do it without asking people who owns it first. Even if it was someone I knew. I remember at the clean up last fall Jason's rig was in the way. Kelley was right there so I asked her if she could move it. She laughed and said "I ain't driving that thing!" Here, you move it. Even though I got permission from his wife, I still felt weird about doing that without asking him.

It was a matter of safety:haha: Someone could have gotten seriously hurt if I had tried:haha:
It wasn't that I WOULDN"T move it...it was because I COULDN'T move it. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and drive it. Plus I wasn't going to make a fool out of myself trying :;

My wife won't drive my rig either. But she knows how. This way, if I get my ass kicked in the woods, she can at least drive me home. She knows how to operate the rig, my winch, the CB. I have taught her everything. It's a free insurance policy if I get hurt.

KarlVP said:
My wife won't drive my rig either. But she knows how. This way, if I get my ass kicked in the woods, she can at least drive me home. She knows how to operate the rig, my winch, the CB. I have taught her everything. It's a free insurance policy if I get hurt.

I'm sure that if something serious happened and I had to drive...I could. But with lots of people and other vehicles around I wasn't going to try.