• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lets talk about auto transmissions for wheeling

i have three torq converters:

One from a 82 chevy blazer came with the th 350 im using
one from a 92 S-10 with a 700r4 came with the motor im using
one from a 93 s-10 blazer with a 4l60E...

Talk to the professionals and give them as much info about your rig as you can. Hughes, TCI, B&M, etc all have techs that can help you find the right converter. I would run a stock converter for a Th350 or an aftermarket one with a slightly higher stall speed. think of the torque converter as a clutch and the stall speed is where it is fully engaged any rpm below stall is the equivalent of slipping the clutch.

which one to order

ok so its time to order some stuff and i have a few more questions about valve bodies.

i see three for my application: Manual Reverse Pattern

Turbo Action Cheetah 24141 for $237 Cast Alum
TCI 321100 $187 Cast Iron
TCI 321115 $219 Cast Iron
ATI 353400 $156 Cast Alum
Hughs HP3210R $229 Cast Iron

Is there any feature that makes one better that the other?

im thinking the material wont make a difference as it just reroutes oil?

ok so its time to order some stuff and i have a few more questions about valve bodies.

i see three for my application: Manual Reverse Pattern

Turbo Action Cheetah 24141 for $237 Cast Alum
TCI 321100 $187 Cast Iron
TCI 321115 $219 Cast Iron
ATI 353400 $156 Cast Alum
Hughs HP3210R $229 Cast Iron

Is there any feature that makes one better that the other?

im thinking the material wont make a difference as it just reroutes oil?

Can ya get compression braking for 1st gear?

Can ya get compression braking for 1st gear?

Oh ya, i can't remember what was in mine before, but the ground would be moving faster than the tires sometimes, like coming down the sand hill at reiter... The tranny wont "run away" from you if you do it proper. :awesomework: I just dont remember what my trans guy did to it. :mad:

yeah a couple of them advertize compression braking in first and second gear.

i want that i know.

any difference from aluminium to iron? other than weight....

yeah a couple of them advertize compression braking in first and second gear.

i want that i know.

any difference from aluminium to iron? other than weight....

You didnt make any mention of comp braking so i spoke up. I personally would want a cast iron vb.

One of the issues with low stall converters and the lower gearing found in trailered rigs is braking. You may have the tendency to drive through the brakes even at idle.
This is a big issue I am looking into a stall for mine....but full man valve body is the only way to fly....I could shift from drive to low at ANY speed if needed.....and the braking capability's are sweet on any long step decent.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it BUT, if you are going to run the TH350 and you have an extra TH700r4, you can swap the low gears out. This swap would drop first gear from ~2.52(about there) to a 3.06, (basically the 1st and 2nd gear ratios out of a 700).

actually i do have a 700r4 that slips. is that an easy swap or should be done by an tranny shop?
i have never messed with an auto before.

ok so it looks like Hughs HP3210R $229 Cast Iron

and an art carr shifter.

the tranny i have is really fresh so i dont want to spend a ton of money but i would like the first gear lower....ohh well im gonna run what i have for now but maybe not throw out the 700R4 just yet....

the tranny i have is really fresh so i dont want to spend a ton of money but i would like the first gear lower....ohh well im gonna run what i have for now but maybe not throw out the 700R4 just yet....

You have a 400 right? if so the 700 planetary won't work.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it BUT, if you are going to run the TH350 and you have an extra TH700r4, you can swap the low gears out. This swap would drop first gear from ~2.52(about there) to a 3.06, (basically the 1st and 2nd gear ratios out of a 700).

I have a TH350 and im really interested in doing this. Can someone tell me how its done. Anything special or can a regular guy do it. Info please! :awesomework: