• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lets talk about auto transmissions for wheeling

the **** did i say?

i said i preferred a manual. all you bitches dont like that..too ****ing bad.

i was giving my PERSONAL experience. dont really have much else to go on..now do i? :rolleyes:

just cuz u guys cant drive a stick...why does that make ME the bad guy :fawkdancesmiley:

the **** did i say?

i was giving my PERSONAL experience. dont really have much else to go on..now do i? :rolleyes:

just cuz u guys cant drive a stick...why does that make ME the bad guy :fawkdancesmiley:

calm down goofball! :fawkdancesmiley: We chose to go auto. (well most of us i'm sure:redneck: )

You're just jealous....:kissmybutt:

the **** did i say?

I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be a TECH thread.....
and no where in the original post did it ask about "do you prefer auto or manual trannys"....

Tech or GTFO!!
:flipoff:

the **** did i say?

:ban:

the **** did i say?

someone must of pissed in your corn flakes:eeek:

maybe a better question is there a way to tell from looking at it, numbers or anything that state what the stall speed is?

anyone know? or know where one can find out?

I can't say I've ever heard of a way to tell what a stock converter was....

w/o knowing what the factory application it came from was...and even then it may be a little bit of a crap shoot.

if you've got a few of them and know the original applications....and want to try out a stock one first.....I'd go w/ either the one from the smallest motor, or one from some sort of "sporty" rig.

smaller....or "less torquey" motors will have higher stall TC's from the factory...as well as something sporty like a vette or camaro. I imagine a fullsize P/U w/ a 4.3 would be a fairly loose coverter too...???

maybe a better question is there a way to tell from looking at it, numbers or anything that state what the stall speed is?

anyone know? or know where one can find out?

mine is stamped with "HS" high stall 1700 to 1800 . Are you going to run a full manual valve body? if not then I think you will be ok with a somewhat stock stall also what kinda brake master will you have?

I think it was Mark! :corn:

My set up is 5.7L turbo 400 4.3 atlas I cant say how it works because its all in boxes in my bedroom :booo:

so do you sit on the edge of your bed and pretend to be wheeelin and shift your atlas and make VAROOOOOM VAROOOOOOM noices :fawkdancesmiley:

mine is stamped with "HS" high stall 1700 to 1800 . Are you going to run a full manual valve body? if not then I think you will be ok with a somewhat stock stall also what kinda brake master will you have?

i have three torq converters:

One from a 82 chevy blazer came with the th 350 im using
one from a 92 S-10 with a 700r4 came with the motor im using
one from a 93 s-10 blazer with a 4l60E...

they all fit the flexplate and seem to fit all the trannys???

i found this:A quick look through any performance catalog will reveal converters with stall speeds ranging from about 1,500 to over 3,000 rpm. A stock converter will typically have a stall speed in the 1,500- to 1,800-rpm range. from here:
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0710or_torque_converter_tech/stall_speed.html

from what Ive been told the highest stall stock converter is 1700 to 1800 most stock converters are around 1100 to 1200 stall.

You could always change out the governor for a different one too if once you put it together you want to change it up a little... My tranny came out of a cop car so it had a corvette style governor, which would make it shift a lot harder and at a higher rpm. When i had it taken it to be repaired he swappped it out for one out of a suburban.... I was a little ticked at first as i really liked the quick hard shifts, but since putting in the doubles and such i like this setup better. as it's a little more forgiving on the drivetrain and no drive-thru, which i had before actually on slick ground in 4x4.

just talked with the tranny donor ( my cousin) and i was wrong the tranny is from a 75 full size blazer. it was rebuilt with a shift kit and a different "new" torque converter, was set up for towing...

so i guess ill search all the converters i have for any number that might shed light on what i have.

just talked with the tranny donor ( my cousin) and i was wrong the tranny is from a 75 full size blazer. it was rebuilt with a shift kit and a different "new" torque converter, was set up for towing...

so i guess ill search all the converters i have for any number that might shed light on what i have.

stock converters are super cheap and it would be better to run a new one:awesomework:

stock converters are super cheap and it would be better to run a new one:awesomework:

this tranny was supposedly just rebuilt with a new "rv shift kit" and "new torque converter". so ill see if i can find any info on what i actually have in there, now that i have a MUCH better idea of what i want.:cheer: :kiss:

ohh and a :fawkdancesmiley: for all the non tech.

Torq Conv Numbers

on the 93 blazer:
in stamped ink
19:00 01-21-93 probably the date and time inspected?

and in another area

in stamped ink
06:17 0223

on the barcode label

DBAF 868

any clue what any of it means?

Who do you guys recommend that I talk to about getting a different torque converter? Good local shops or companies, or a reputable out of state company? :beer:
Call seatac parts warehouse in kent they know what they are doing.....I buy my parts from them new converter is like 80 bucks 253-839-4967 chuck is who I talk with....Tell him what you are looking for or to do and he will hook you up.

Last edited:
From searching all day it appears stock stall is 1900 to 2100 in all three applications i have. i should be ok to at least run it for a while.

I wheel a '97 TJ with a TF999. It allows me to be way smooother over the rocks. I have waay more control, and dont burn clutchs any more. I also installed a deep(more fluid) pan (with a custom skid plate) and now have no fluid starvation at any angle. I have installed an addon cooler, but have been told that new autos dont have the over heating problems like older models did. IMO an Auto is the way to go. :awesomework: