• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Light weight welding helmet

tantoy

Have an older Jackson helmet with an auto darkening 2"x4 1/4" replacement lens. It has fulfilled my needs in the past when I welded just for friends or my self hobby style. Recently my mig welding has turned into money generating work that has me welding on and off for 8 hrs daily, and my neck don't like holding up the oldschool helmet. So any recommendations on a bulletproof light weight helmet, auto dark, don't need to be huge window size, don't like being flashed, don't need flip up lens cause I wear saftey glasses even when helmet is on, maybe even look super wicked, helmet? Oh and my budget is about 150.00 tops.

I have 2 speedglass hoods, one at work in a very industrial environment and another at home. Very pleased with both,

Unless your doing TIG all day, I prefer an old school flip helmet. No batteries to go dead or getting flashed because you didn't turn it on. They are cheaper, and way lighter.

Unless your doing TIG all day, I prefer an old school flip helmet. No batteries to go dead or getting flashed because you didn't turn it on. They are cheaper, and way lighter.

I agree with the above. and also spend the cash for a GLASS gold plated lense, You'll thank me when you have it.

(this being said, it looks like i need to get an auto darkening for work as i need different shades for the amount of random crap i do)

Speedglas is good, but I prefer miller. I have a miller digital elite and its the best helmet I've used. That being said, it set me back 300 bills. Miller has some auto darkening fixed shade 10 hoods that are more i'm you're price range.

i have a orbital for home a miller at work and a harbor frt one for the camper....the harbor frt one works decent for the price....

Central has an auto-darkening helmet that seems to please those up here in the industry...can't remember the name off hand, but for under $200 it loooks nice, but i have no personal experience with it....yet... :redneck: oh, and has a LARGE window! :redneck:

i have a orbital for home a miller at work and a harbor frt one for the camper....the harbor frt one works decent for the price....

Dont you ever, EVER recommend harbor freight welding hoods to ANYONE. I know multiple people that have gotten flashburnt due to them, not to mention the countless companies that have outlawed their use.

Lol Calm down there bud. He did say "decent for the price" which guessing is extremely low comparatively, generally means the stuff is shitty. Keep in mind he did say he only uses it for the camper which is usually isnt the greatest conditions.

Your points are completely valid and most likely true, (only say that because i never cared enough to look into that kind of thing), But its not like he was recommending as a top choice. I mean, Its Harbor Frieght, Not (Insert Top Welding Hood Maker Here).

I have one of those leather hoods I keep for doing portable stuff. It folds up nice and compact too.
images

Lol Calm down there bud. He did say "decent for the price" which guessing is extremely low comparatively, generally means the stuff is shitty. Keep in mind he did say he only uses it for the camper which is usually isnt the greatest conditions.

Your points are completely valid and most likely true, (only say that because i never cared enough to look into that kind of thing), But its not like he was recommending as a top choice. I mean, Its Harbor Frieght, Not (Insert Top Welding Hood Maker Here).
Ok, i maybe went a bit overboard...

I have one of those leather hoods I keep for doing portable stuff. It folds up nice and compact too.
images
That is just plain nifty....

Thats the same hood I kept in my Ready welder case. Worked really well and took up very little room.

Since I saw the one Jeff had on the trail I have been wanting to get one to carry with my ready welder. But also very nice for those tight spots you gotta shove your head into.