• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

Jackson's birthday today, so we had to get a shake down run.

Discovered a few things today.

1) The injector plate was loose creating a huge vacuum leak.
2) The timing was WAY off. The thermostat housing is getting in the way of the distributor. Timing can't get any better than 26 degrees advanced. I ordered a new housing that may work.
3) The vacuum line to the brake booster was connected to a coolant port on the intake, not a vacuum port. Needless to say, the brake weren't working well.
4) The cooling fan didn't come on...
5) The clutch is very touch and very high. I'll let this run for a bit to see how it breaks in but may have to adjust that.
6) The springs are REALLY, REALLY stiff!!
7) The traction was phenomenal in the mud.
8) This is like driving a completely different animal than my 4Runner.
9) Driving a stick again, is hecka fun!
10) Jackson and I can actually fit.

A few other minor tweaks on stuff, but overall, a great shakedown run.

Jackson's birthday today, so we had to get a shake down run.

Discovered a few things today.

1) The injector plate was loose creating a huge vacuum leak.
2) The timing was WAY off. The thermostat housing is getting in the way of the distributor. Timing can't get any better than 26 degrees advanced. I ordered a new housing that may work.
3) The vacuum line to the brake booster was connected to a coolant port on the intake, not a vacuum port. Needless to say, the brake weren't working well.
4) The cooling fan didn't come on...
5) The clutch is very touch and very high. I'll let this run for a bit to see how it breaks in but may have to adjust that.
6) The springs are REALLY, REALLY stiff!!
7) The traction was phenomenal in the mud.
8) This is like driving a completely different animal than my 4Runner.
9) Driving a stick again, is hecka fun!
10) Jackson and I can actually fit.

A few other minor tweaks on stuff, but overall, a great shakedown run.

Ya I won't be shocked if ya end up having to have a custom plate made due low overlap against the intake.

On the cooling fan ground the terminal for the switch on the intake--the fan should come on--if it does then its bad otherwise there is an issue down line.

Ya I will certainly take the blame on booster--fail on my part..

Overall sounds like things went pretty decent...

Ya I won't be shocked if ya end up having to have a custom plate made due low overlap against the intake.

On the cooling fan ground the terminal for the switch on the intake--the fan should come on--if it does then its bad otherwise there is an issue down line.

Ya I will certainly take the blame on booster--fail on my part..

Overall sounds like things went pretty decent...

It wasn't a bad first outing. Got the thermostat housing ordered. I already have a little list for James on the switches and stuff. I may dump that t fitting for the temp guages, now that we have ENOUGH coolant ports... LOL

Almost done. Still need a little tweaking on the steering and alignment.
Can'you get it to shift into 2wd, but other than that, it'seems pretty much done.

Attachments

• 20161006_114517.jpg
    20161006_114517.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 20161006_114507.jpg
    20161006_114507.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20161006_114458.jpg
    20161006_114458.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 193
Jackson's 16th birthday is just around the corner...

We've been testing and tweaking just driving it around. Ran some good mud out at the farm and it performed very well.

Still to do.
1) Squirmy on the road with that tiny wheel base and a Detroit in the rear. I had John put in an ARB for me so that we can see if it becomes more streetable. Not planning on driving to Mexico and back, but for Jackson to go to school and back, down the the Y etc.
2) Had a few minor electrical problems related to mud... Putting in some heavier duty, sealed components where necessary.
3) No defroster sucks. Went on a snow run and we spent the whole time trying to wipe the windows. Then the wiper switch went out and we really couldn't see. We were able to get the front windshield up. Still have to work on some ideas for that. Plenty of air flow and heat from the heater but now way to blow it on the windshield.

Other than that, just some little tweaking and it'll be ready for his 16th birthday!