• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Locker problems

Qman

The Camshaft Guy
Has anyone ever come across the bolts being too short? It is a toyota 8" front solid axle diff with what I believe to be a detroit locker and a yukon 4.56 gear set. The bolts only grab about 4 threads of the ring gear. The Yukon replacement bolts are exactly the same length as factory. It doesn't want to torque down to 70 ft lbs without stretching the threads. Does anyone know if there is a 1mm+ longer bolt available for the toyota 8" ring gear?

some install kits have long and short bolts. (i know the 9" does)
just remember all you need is 1.5 x D. (D being bolt diamter) for thread engagement.

If you have a 10mm bolt, then they need to be engaged 15mm

any less is not 100% strength, any more and its not doing anything.

There is a formula for this, but i have found that it ALWAYS falls in between 1.45 and 1.55

some install kits have long and short bolts. (i know the 9" does)
just remember all you need is 1.5 x D. (D being bolt diamter) for thread engagement.

If you have a 10mm bolt, then they need to be engaged 15mm

any less is not 100% strength, any more and its not doing anything.

There is a formula for this, but i have found that it ALWAYS falls in between 1.45 and 1.55

Thanks, I did know that they have to have 1.5 times the diameter for engagement. I am just asking if anyone else has found the bolts to be short and what were used to remedy the problem and where to get them.

Thanks for the Cam and rockers this mornin :awesomework:

Have you tried calling Randys ring and pinion or was that who you were on the phone with when I came in this morning?

I've never come across this problem. I recall you saying something about used parts.......... Could those aftermarket gear sets have come with special longer bolts but are long gone because someone lost them before you purchased them used??

Thanks, I did know that they have to have 1.5 times the diameter for engagement. I am just asking if anyone else has found the bolts to be short and what were used to remedy the problem and where to get them.

you could get the right ones in either tacoma or kent at Tacoma screw

Thanks for the Cam and rockers this mornin :awesomework:

Have you tried calling Randys ring and pinion or was that who you were on the phone with when I came in this morning?

I talked with Jake @ Randy's this morning. He is in sales though. I planned to call their tech line when time allowed.

I've never come across this problem. I recall you saying something about used parts.......... Could those aftermarket gear sets have come with special longer bolts but are long gone because someone lost them before you purchased them used??

Gear set is from Yukon. The locker is an unknown quantity.

you could get the right ones in either tacoma or kent at Tacoma screw

I plan to check with them and hi strength in Kent on availablity today.

Thanks for the help so far!!

they should have them in stock at tacoma screw. I buy 99% of all my hardware there.

I have even bought heim joints from them.. in stock

11mm bolt?

are you serious?

I work 99% with metric.. and i've never heard of an 11mm bolt.....

i guess you learn something every day.

11mm bolt?

are you serious?

Checked size and none of the 10's or 12's fit it so that would leabe M11x1.0x25mm. Can anybody spot that size from another manufacturer or outlet?

Have you tried leaving the locking tabs off? Just clean everything very well with brake clean and then use red lock tight.

Might give you the thread engagement you need.

Otherwise I would be worried that the locker is wrong or that the ring gear is not seated all the way on the locker.

Otherwise I would be worried that the locker is wrong or that the ring gear is not seated all the way on the locker.

Before i went to find special bolts i would double check to make sure about this!

11mm bolt?

are you serious?

Yea they use them for heads, ring gears, rods, mains, etc. I think they do it just to piss people off... haha

Ran across this issue when trying to install my truetrac (was an old factory toyota LSD), and found out they did have a special bolt that was used with the carrier for proper thread engagement; and of course, they no longer offered the bolts....and yes, they are 11mm X 1.0 bolts...

Well, I think I have solved the problem. The flywheel bolts for a zetec 2.0 for are the same diameter and pitch but 21mm long. Hopefully, it will be sufficient and resolve the problem.

Thanks for the help!

With the ring gear seated to the carrier, and the bolt threaded in, how many turns did you get before the bolt head seated to the carrier???