• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lockers: front axle vs rear

Which axle

• FRONT

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • REAR

Votes: 58 58.6%

• Total voters
locker up front, weld the rear. Locking one end will be just enough to get you into trouble, but not enough to get you out.

You can afford to lock both ends. Buy a locker for the front and weld the rear. 2 for the price of one. Driving with a welded rear on the street isnt as bad as everyone makes it sound. :redneck:

Front, weld the rear...

x2. I have a spool in the rear and a detroit up front. Welding would be the same out back. I love the detroit up front, but it would be cool to unlock it at times. I'm not rich though, so I don't have the funds for an ARB, so I'll just stick with my setup on the next 1-ton incarnation... welded 14 bolt rear, detroit in the 60 up front.

this is a trick question because both can get you ****ed...
if you get side ways, or in some rutts, the front being locked can really help, and if your side ways and the rear is locked it can actually make it worse.
But generally the rear is doing the most work and thus it is best to be locked...
I agree with the person that said weld/spool the rear, and put the locker in the front

locker up front, weld the rear. Locking one end will be just enough to get you into trouble, but not enough to get you out.

Bingo, costs the same as only locking one axle anyway :D

I wheels Open Open, flexy suspension (for the day) got me lots of places. Welded the rear one day, opened up LOTS more places, but the open front held be back. Put a detroit in the front and it was a whole different rig.

Detroit or lunch-box in the front, (arb if you have the $$) and weld/spool/minispool the rear. Enjoy.
________
Motorcycle Tires

Last edited:
it seems jeepers prefer the rear locker to the front:rolleyes: . is that for fear of exploding jeep fronts?:beer:

Nope I would take front.

Rear only is great... until the trail turns and your rig will only go straight:rolleyes:

Rear, 80% of front axles cant take the abuse.

But whos to say what axle each of us are using? I think the general question is what would you prefer if your rig could handle it with your driving style. This question really is a personal choice as each of us have rigs setup different than the other.

What works for the d60 guys might not work for the toy guys or the d35 guys.

Id say front and weld rear.

Front, I had no problem with a lockrite in my SAS'd 87 runner. Open rear, the front just pulled that light ass up "most" things. :redneck: On my new rig im going spool rear and lockrite front again.

If you think about the physics--its easier to pull yourself up something rather than push...

But if your climbing (upward) the front becomes very light thus taking traction away from the front tires (contact area) More weight (thus traction) is placed on the rear tires. My only real life expieriance with this is in a short wheelbase rig. I suppose in a long rig with a soft suspension having a locker only in the front could be advantages in certain situations but not most. Such as climbing over a rootwad or a ledge but what about say a hill like leaning tree where all of your weight is on the rear for a bit:eeek:

Anyway to many people are not reading the question. He asked if you could only have ONE locker which axle would be best. Having a welded rear would count as a locker since the axles are then locked together:rolleyes:

But if your climbing (upward) the front becomes very light thus taking traction away from the front tires (contact area) More weight (thus traction) is placed on the rear tires. My only real life expieriance with this is in a short wheelbase rig. I suppose in a long rig with a soft suspension having a locker only in the front could be advantages in certain situations but not most. Such as climbing over a rootwad or a ledge but what about say a hill like leaning tree where all of your weight is on the rear for a bit:eeek:

Anyway to many people are not reading the question. He asked if you could only have ONE locker which axle would be best. Having a welded rear would count as a locker since the axles are then locked together:rolleyes:
Pokey, your idea on where to put the locker and why is very logical. This is the exact reason I said rear also.:;

Well if all the weight is on the rear tires then don't they have better traction anyways? And be less likely to slip?

As I said already, lock the front and weld the rear...

If you're "reading the question", he was asking, "if you only have money for one locker"...

I'm willing to bet, that there are a **** load of guys on here (if he doesn't know someone already), that would weld the rear for free...

That makes the front the obvious choice...

If you have to leave one axle open, for what ever reason, I still say FRONT...

AND WELD THE REAR!!!

If you're "reading the question", he was asking, "if you only have money for one locker"...

Maybe... I guess i took it to mean hypothetically if you could only have one locker.

Since by your logic, both axles could be welded for (basically) free and the whole thing would be moot.

When I broke my rear drive line up at Evan's (recently) I figured "oh well I'll just putz around in front wheel drive" Well being locked up front with a detroit, linked with air shocks. and my tires air down, I was unable to climb the simpliest obstacles because there simply wasn't enough weight on the wheels. but I could do some nice front digs :redneck: