• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lockers: front axle vs rear

Which axle

• FRONT

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • REAR

Votes: 58 58.6%

• Total voters
did any of you old farts ever beat on auction cars? Ill take a front wheel drive honda over an old rear wheel celica any day.:awesomework:

WHEIGHT TRANSFER IS ONLY A BIG PROBLEM IN 3 FOOT LONG JEEPS.:beer:

Maybe you have a 3 foot long jeep but most of us gave up on the pedal cars when we were about 6 or so years old :haha: Keep pedaling youll catch up one of these days:haha:

I will resolve this issue once and for all. I have ARB's front and rear. I'll go wheeling and see which one gets me farther and easier up the trails at Reiter.

BRB...

I wheeled with open diffs and 30" tires for several years and I'm not even an old timer. :haha: But I also have wheeled with rear locker only and with locked front and I've wheeled with front wheel drive and with rear wheel drive with lockers and without and with broken this or that and 3 wheel drive or whatever so if thats enough experience I still vote front:fawkdancesmiley:

Traction aside, the point still remains that rear axle's are almost always stronger than fronts, and in 99% of rigs don't having steering. A locked cranked front is MUCH more likely to break than an unlocked cranked front.

it seems jeepers prefer the rear locker to the front:rolleyes: . is that for fear of exploding jeep fronts?:beer:

Traction aside, the point still remains that rear axle's are almost always stronger than fronts, and in 99% of rigs don't having steering. A locked cranked front is MUCH more likely to break than an unlocked cranked front.

thanks buddy!:awesomework: :awesomework: :beer:

My vote goes from front also. I watched a Sami with just a locked front do some pretty amazing **** this weekend. Now the 17 year old kid driving was beating the hell out of it, but that front locker got him where he shouldn't have been able to go. I was reading about a comp somewhere (east coast maybe?) where they have a stock class that only allows one locker. Most of the competitors were running front lockers and the top five all had front lockers.

I run ARB's and the front is one of the best things I've ever had in a rig.

Not that my opinion matter's much since I live in the land of dry rocks now... but i have a detroit in the front and an ARB rear. i rarely ever use the rear locker. every so often i will either just rest my toe on the brakes, or grab a bit of cutting brake depending what i am doing at the moment.

but for those of you who saw the pictures of the "candyland" trail in reno, that jason paule was the first and only 1 of 2 people to ever get the final waterfall, I ran that entire trail, which makes the hammers look fairly mild, open rear diff, but without rearsteer could not line up for the last fall, so i winched it.

my vote 100% front first...

I've wheeled the past five years with both ends open and 30" tires and i've thought about it a lot, so I'm going to lock the rear first.

Besides, seeing as how the question is asking if you can only AFFORD one locker, wouldn't you want to put it in the axle where it's going to be the cause of less breakage? aka, the axle that you're going to have to spend less money on cuz you won't break **** as often?

I know that's my situation.

I've wheeled the past five years with both ends open and 30" tires and i've thought about it a lot, so I'm going to lock the rear first.

Besides, seeing as how the question is asking if you can only AFFORD one locker, wouldn't you want to put it in the axle where it's going to be the cause of less breakage? aka, the axle that you're going to have to spend less money on cuz you won't break **** as often?

I know that's my situation.

I'm sticking to my front only locker. Especially if its a DD. Stock suspension on 30's... Don't plan on breaking much unless you drive like a complete idiot. Stock yota birfs get a bad rap but for 33" and under tires they do the job damn well. Otherwise what is there to snap in front? Lock the front and weld the rear. **** welding is nearly free so it doesn't count. :fawkdancesmiley: