• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Looking at getting a new tow rig

wont work

My current tow rig and DD is an '05 duramax. I am looking at getting a new or newer truck and can't decide between the new Ford or new Duramax. I have driven both, read 9 million reviews on both and still am up in the air on which to get.
If you own one or have please let me know your thoughts on which you like and why. Also would you buy it again or which you would choose and why if you was going to buy one.

Yes I know of the Chevy vs ford battle but am not diehard to either brand.

If your truck is in decent shape, I'd rebuild the trans and convert it to 6 speed (assuming it has a 5 spd Allison), do some engine/turbo upgrades and rock out.

Unless you are a new truck fever kind of person, then I can't really say.. The new fords look pretty badass

muddinmetal said:
New body dmax comes out next year. The 14 body 1500s are so much better than the 07-13s, I'd wait for a 15 HD before I drop that kind of coin

This right here. No better interior quality than the gm

TBItoy said:
If your truck is in decent shape, I'd rebuild the trans and convert it to 6 speed (assuming it has a 5 spd Allison), do some engine/turbo upgrades and rock out.

Unless you are a new truck fever kind of person, then I can't really say.. The new fords look pretty badass

It's in great shape

xjkrawler said:
This right here. No better interior quality than the gm

Have you ever seen a seat tear in a GM truck. Have owned 3 and all have done it with me being extra careful trying not to slide in and out.

As you know I went from a 04 Duramax to a 2012 Ford. I loved my Dmax but it didn't have enough room in it. The Ford has as much power stock as my Dmax did with a 100HP tune on it. The Ford pulls awesome and rides really good but the only thing that I miss from my Dmax is the seats. The seats in the Dmax were way more comfortable.

Any reason you aren't looking at the new dodges? I think if I was going to buy another truck tomorrow I would look real hard at a Dodge.

I don't have a badass diesel, just 06 GMC 6.0 2500HD, but I'm sold on GM products. I'll never own another Ford truck.

I think the seat tear thing is just driver specific. My 2001 GMC Yukon I had before this HD had leather interior with nearly 170k miles and the leather was still in great shape. A friend of mine bought an 07 classic Dmax not long ago with over 200k miles and the leather seats in it were still in good condition. Wear was apparent, as it should be with a truck of that mileage, but no tears. My truck has almost 120k on it with cloth interior and the seats are in excellent shape, I slide out of it everytime I get out. This is the first newer GM truck I've had that has cloth interior and I love it. To me, the cloth is more comfortable than the leather and isn't cold as **** in the winter. All comes down to preference.

Next rig I plan to get is a 07+ 2500HD crew cab with the 6.0L gasser. I like it for no more than I pull and less maintenance. Drive it and change the oil, no extra bullshit. Plus the trannys in the newer 6.0L trucks are 6 speed auto compared to the 4 speed auto 4L80E that's in mine.

Cole said:
As you know I went from a 04 Duramax to a 2012 Ford. I loved my Dmax but it didn't have enough room in it. The Ford has as much power stock as my Dmax did with a 100HP tune on it. The Ford pulls awesome and rides really good but the only thing that I miss from my Dmax is the seats. The seats in the Dmax were way more comfortable.

Any reason you aren't looking at the new dodges? I think if I was going to buy another truck tomorrow I would look real hard at a Dodge.

The Ford has plenty of power. Used one to haul to RBD and it did better than you could ask in pure stock form.
Drove the new dodge and considered it hard until I did drive it. To me what I have not rode and drove better.

The seat thing is about the only thing about the GM interiors that is bad. $200 and an hour will have it fixed and good to go for another several years. I have swapped out about 10 I think. I am not a fan of the 07-13 GM trucks, going from having to use no tools to change a headlamp bulb, to having to pull the damn grill out is fawking stupid.

Sorry for the derail.

muddinmetal said:
New body dmax comes out next year. The 14 body 1500s are so much better than the 07-13s, I'd wait for a 15 HD before I drop that kind of coin

X2 I like my 14 way better than the 07-13 body style.

I just picked up a 2012 dodge cummins 6 speed. I had a 06 duramax and it was alot quicker feeling but the cummins feels alot stronger. I like the looks of the ford over the dodge and chevy but couldnt pass up the deal I got

I have a 12 dodge. I love it. Mileage is decent. Power is great.
Currently stock but upgrades to 500 hp seem cheap. Plus it looks badass.

I was shopping in 06 and looked at dodge and chevy loved the dodge mega cab but it had a larger price tag and they would not work with me on price much, I bought a chevy on the 4 of July they had 72 months 0% and I got the truck 8 k under sticker That made my mind up very quickly I have loved this truck. It seems like chevy does 0% for 60 and 72 a lot more often then the other guys the new one you have to buy the extra stuff to put with the fuel all the time and there is the DPF filter to think about I have friend with a few diesel company trucks and they have had to replace the DPF filters now 2 times under warrenty and once out anyway I plan on keeping my 06 for along time

Ram will not ride as good due to the basic suspension, when I bought mine I put bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer on 1st thing and I've been pleased - it tows great and has tons of room and is so much cheaper than a GM or Ford because of the available options ...I've got power everything, navigation, backup camera, etc. on an SLT with vinyl floors. It was about $8k cheaper than a Ford or chevy with compatible options

85buggy said:
And the Chevys r so dang expensive.

I can actual pick up a chevy cheaper than a dodge at the moment with more options than dodge is offering.

I am not buying a dodge of any kind. The older ones will run forever but I have seen first hand the truck fall apart around the body.

onetoncrawler said:
Ram will not ride as good due to the basic suspension, when I bought mine I put bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer on 1st thing and I've been pleased - it tows great and has tons of room and is so much cheaper than a GM or Ford because of the available options ...I've got power everything, navigation, backup camera, etc. on an SLT with vinyl floors. It was about $8k cheaper than a Ford or chevy with compatible options

I think bilstein shocks on any truck is going to help the ride.

I went from a 2006 duramax(loved it) to a 2012 6.7 F250(Love it) The only reason I bought a Ford is I couldn't find anyone who would deal with me on a new Chevy, my grandfather worked at Ford and GM so I get a discount on both. The GM discount has gone to crap whereas the Ford is still awesome. Go ahead and be prepared to put a full exhaust/egr delete/ tuner on it.... Trust me it makes a huge difference. The Ford 6 speed felt sluggish at first similar to a gas burner, once it was tuned it acted more like the allison that I was accustomed to. Overall the Ford is nicer inside than my Chevy, has more storage, rides better, turns x100000000 times better, and its just well thought out. The interior has storage everywhere, 110 volt outlet, lockable storage under the rear seats. I couldn't be happier with the Ford....