• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Looking at getting a new tow rig

twiztedzuki said:
03-07 5.9 dodge cummins :gtfo:

I traded in a 06 mega cab 350 SRW with a 5.9 auto in on the 2012 dodge 2500. My truck went to the dealer on a rollback. Computer went out and the bill was over $4500 and I didn't have a warranty. Yes the 06 got 20+ miles a gallon and the 2012 only get about 15mpg but I wanted something with a warranty. diesels are not cheap to fix!!

Re: Re: Re: Looking at getting a new tow rig

xjkrawler said:
Gm leather isn't bad as long as you take care of it. I was referring to the the comfort and style of the interiors. As well as the ride comfort

Ergonomics! Lol

Duramax definitely. My 2012 2500hd get 19.5 mpg empty and 13 mpg pulling a 40' enclosed with two buggies and gear at 75 mph. Best truck I've ever had. Cost a little more but you get what you pay for in the long run.

my '11 F250 is on 40's regeared for 3.31 to 4.30's,with all the goodies like tuner, intake, exhaust bla bla bla, pulling the toyhauler goose I just built loaded weighing in around 11k it pulls great, even my wife says she forgets were towing. best part about it I don't have to worry about tranny problems....its a Ford. cummins builds a great eng but Chrysler hasn't ever been able to build a tranny worth a f#@k, and an Allison is good only if the Dmax stays stock, but who keeps a diesel stock lol. beside who wants IFS on a 3/4-1ton truck. JMO

I have a 2012 F-450 with 62,000 trouble free miles, The only complaint I have is the fuel mileage since I average 7 mpg while pulling and 12 around town. Overall this is the best pulling and most comfortable truck I have owned.

yankster said:
Duramax definitely. My 2012 2500hd get 19.5 mpg empty and 13 mpg pulling a 40' enclosed with two buggies and gear at 75 mph. Best truck I've ever had. Cost a little more but you get what you pay for in the long run.

If I were you I would never ever sell that truck, 13mpg pulling all that at 75 thats impressive. Ive had them all dodge, ford and gmc and none of them ever came close to that pulling anything that heavy

Cole said:
If I were you I would never ever sell that truck, 13mpg pulling all that at 75 thats impressive. Ive had them all dodge, ford and gmc and none of them ever came close to that pulling anything that heavy

My buddy, Spdkilz on here, has a dmax on 37s that gets 22 mpg unloaded and got 20.8 pulling my truggy back from Tennessee. No lie, no bullshit. I called him every name in the book when he used to tell me that crap, but I have seen it with my own eyes. :****:

Cole said:
It surprised me since it was the first time with two rigs. I have a 70 gallon fuel tank in the bed plus the factory tank. I drove from Columbia, TN to AOP then to northeast Pennsylvania, which is 950miles, and never stopped for fuel. It got 14 mpg pulling one buggy on a flat bed trailer so maybe the aerodynamics of the enclosed helped?

They say the new dodges will get low 20mpgs if you eliminate the dpf and egr and add a programmer but it will also void the warranty so I will suck it up and live with 15mpg til warranty runs out

I looked at the big 3 when I bought my new truck last year. I agree that historically the GM products had much nicer interiors than either the Ford or Dodge/Ram. Ultimately it came down to Chevy and Ford. The Dodge just didn't have great looks inside or out. The Chevy 3500 LTZ was nice, but the F350 Lariat was better looking and more refined than the Chev. The only other factor is just a pet peeve of mine. I don't think any HD truck should have IFS. Just my 2¢

Between my dad and brother, they have gone through 7 new duramax since 06. They all get traded in around 100k.
Out of all of those trucks there have been two problems, both being emissions related.

1) The particulate filter would clog up on the 08 3500 which was solved by a dpf delete.

2) The DEF system caused the 2011 2500 to go into limp mode and had to have a new system put in.

Both of them haul large truck campers and bass boats on a regular basis all over the country. Occasionally a 36' center console offshore boat. No big dumb loads to brag about but they are comfortable and reliable trucks.

Fully agree on the ifs but my current truck has 153,??? and all it has had is pitman arm and spindle bearings. I can't ask for much better than that.

I think I can safely say no matter what truck you have it's going to run better with the proper tuner and deletes.

He'll I like the ifs.... A 3/4 ton truck that rides and drives like a half ton is nice.

Just make sure to grease the 11 (yes, ELEVEN) grease points on the front suspension and steering when you change the oil.

I'm still on all stock ballpoints and tre at 240k.

My dodge gets 14.5. Pulling my buggy that's all. A local dodge drag racer
Say he can get me 500 hp and 20 mpg. My dealer says ok but it's there discretion
If I bring it back broke. ? .

Cole said:

amen to that

I'm a ford guy to me nothing compares. The Chevy is a nice truck but I can't get past the ifs. Never liked dodge.....ever.
None of them are going to get high teens or 20s pulling a load of any size.