• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lower Ride Height

highrolrcustoms

I am in the process of building another juggy. Last one had air shocks in the rear so ride height was easily adjusted but now I set this one up with 16" coilovers. they are 2.0s with 16" 200lb lower springs and 14" 150lb upper springs. It sits about 4"s higher than I wanted and its adjusted all the way out. I was shooting for about 4-5" uptravel. The suspension is pretty stiff also. what should I change? upper or lower spring and what rate should I switch to? :dunno:

Attachments

• 20131201_221107.jpeg
    20131201_221107.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 126
It would just be easier at this point to change your upper mount, since you haven't painted it yet.It looks like you have the right amount of shock shaft showing so only way to lower it without loosing up travel is raise your upper mount.

How much will the springs settle? I can make new mounts on the inside of the tube and raise the mounts a few inches just wasn't sure about the coilovers laying in at more of an angle. For a crawler/part time bouncer how much uptravel should I have?

Coil springs don't settle much if any, you can move the upper shock mounts as long as it won't cause any interference on up travel as the axle will be able to go higher than it will now. The back of my buggy I run a 16" 150lb lower with a 14" 100lb upper and a zero rate tripple with an inch down on the preload adjuster, after going to the lighter rate springs I had to revalve the shocks with a stiffer compression and lighter rebound.

I'd try maybe 100 over 150 with a shorter top spring, and remember that you need a couple inches of preload on the springs

Neal3000 said:
I'd try maybe 100 over 150 with a shorter top spring, and remember that you need a couple inches of preload on the springs

Exactly what we decided to do. Keep same lengths and just go softer. Mailing spring back tomorrow

Good decision! Just to reiterate on some of the statements above, You typically want no less than 1" and no more than 3" of preload. Any time you find yourself adjusting out of that range, changing your springs rates would be a good idea.

If you drop the rig 4" from what is pictured, it looks like you'll have about 2-3" of up travel left. I'd rather keep 6-8" on that long of a shock personally. Also, are you at full weight on the rig? Load it up to wheeling weight and see where it sits before you buy more springs so you only have to swap them once if at all.