• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ride height?

roll over dave

In process of building a buggy! We Aired it up a last night with 5 1/2 of shaft showing on airs 14 frnt 16 rears. The belly is 22" tall and top of cage is 78"
My question is WTs about average overall height on y'all units. This is not a bouncer build pretty much spin off cheap version of Coles old ride and the recent jk build here

Re:

19-22 is a steady number amongst buggy build threads I have seen. Truggy I just sold was in that range too.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Solo Buggy has 18 1/2, and I feel that is low sometimes. For me, the main trade off is ease of getting in and out the door. I get out most all hills if spotting is necessary, or to just watch 'dem fools!

If I lay down under mine naked with a boner and the belly doesn't touch the tip of my pee pee, it's just right.

In my case that's 19-3/4"

At work

I'd be more concerned with belly height compared to wheel base. Longer wheel bases typically work better with a taller belly height, unless you're good with belly dragging more often. As far as shocks, ideally 50/50 split on shack travel (14" travel shock 7" of shaft at ride height) but sometimes you gotta work with what you have.

My buggy is 112 wheel base & 20" belly. I could probably drop it down to 18"-19" but I'd have to re-work coil overs to maintain 50/50 shock travel.

LightBnDr said:
If I lay down under mine naked with a boner and the belly doesn't touch the tip of my pee pee, it's just right.

At work

Better watch it, there are a couple guys here that would jump on that. :flipoff1:

LightBnDr said:

At work
Yeah but his exhaust hangs way low and he burns himself every time he tries to make sure his belly height is set right.

In in a YJ on Tons, so not a full tube buggy and my belly is 21.5" and top of my cage is 80.5", wheelbase in 112"
Tires are 43"SXs, coil overs in front and currently still leaf sprung in rear... About to go to 4 link and air shocks in the rear and keep the numbers about the same.

joho75287 said:
In in a YJ on Tons, so not a full tube buggy and my belly is 21.5" and top of my cage is 80.5", wheelbase in 112"
Tires are 43"SXs, coil overs in front and currently still leaf sprung in rear... About to go to 4 link and air shocks in the rear and keep the numbers about the same.

I'd take leaf springs over 2.0 air shocks any day :****:

Not to derail...but that's what a certain someone who pee pee measures is telling me as well.
I have all the parts, so I'm gonna give it a shot...if I don't like it, I will upgrade to coil overs to match my front...

joho75287 said:
Not to derail...but that's what a certain someone who pee pee measures is telling me as well.
I have all the parts, so I'm gonna give it a shot...if I don't like it, I will upgrade to coil overs to match my front...

It is not hard to make the rear of a vehicle flex. Leaf springs flex like crazy in the rear usually. Honestly, if your rear suspension is too soft (air shocks!) the front will stop flexing as well as it does now. I have found rigs always work better and are more stable when the rear is set up to make the front work if that makes any sense

Ok so on a serious note to the OP, I wouldn't tune air shocks to set ride height/ belly height.

Look up a recent air shock tuning thread here and read up. Some real good info

I think you will battle some real sucky handling characteristics being concerned about ride height over good tuning

At work

1tonyj said:
30.5" belly
90" top of cage
18.5" to bottom of my center chunck
127.5" wheel base
102" wide
Hey this ain't no "rockwells make your sac shrink" thread

We don't wanna know that you don't get turtled up driving over smart cars

At work