• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LP dana 60

Mr. leafspring said:
anyone got a remedy for taking off carrier bearings and not trashing them other than the $400 tool ???? :fish: :fish:

I got the bearing puller tool for my birthday (I have an awesome wife :****:) and it is worth the money IMO.

My buddy got a set of pullers off e-bay half the price of the Yukon ones and they look the same. Jana 76 takes care of the r/p problem then it causes a axle shaft problem.

Mr. leafspring said:
:dblthumb:if I keep goin thru R&P it'll b worth it for me as well :****:

Load bolt works wonders. I also did the jana 76 and havnt had an issue (fingers Crossed) even coming down or hitting things pretty hard. Money well spent if you dont want to swap axles.

SBJeepn said:
Load bolt works wonders. I also did the jana 76 and havnt had an issue (fingers Crossed) even coming down or hitting things pretty hard. Money well spent if you dont want to swap axles.
So far I have been happy with my setup. If you go 76 and don't put the load bolt in you are wasting money because if your not snapping pinions in half deflection is what's breaking your gears. I went ahead and sent my gears to rcv and had them heat treated and cryoed for the insurance.

BUG-E J said:
So far I have been happy with my setup. If you go 76 and don't put the load bolt in you are wasting money because if your not snapping pinions in half deflection is what's breaking your gears. I went ahead and sent my gears to rcv and had them heat treated and cryoed for the insurance.

I remember seeing a insanely high price for heat treating that was deleted shortly afterwards. Did they come down on that any?

The first buggy I built was setup pretty similar to yours. The owner broke something every trip out with the lp60. If it wasn't a Yukon shaft then it was a ring and pinion . This went on for a year and 10 trips that he left early because it broke 30 minutes into the day . I built him a 14bolt this winter and and he hasn't had an issue since the last 4 trips out. Now he needs a second propane tank cuz he can run all day and outta fuel! I know it was a big expense but... All those trips he made and broke to turn around and come home were costly As well. And having at 25k$ buggy that wasn't reliable also sucked . Just my .02 cents by putting more money into a LP 60 is gonna get you no where but more mad when it breaks again... Cuz it's gonna ! I've seen you drive :driving:

Rockwells607 said:
The first buggy I built was setup pretty similar to yours. The owner broke something every trip out with the lp60. If it wasn't a Yukon shaft then it was a ring and pinion . This went on for a year and 10 trips that he left early because it broke 30 minutes into the day . I built him a 14bolt this winter and and he hasn't had an issue since the last 4 trips out. Now he needs a second propane tank cuz he can run all day and outta fuel! I know it was a big expense but... All those trips he made and broke to turn around and come home were costly As well. And having at 25k$ buggy that wasn't reliable also sucked . Just my .02 cents by putting more money into a LP 60 is gonna get you no where but more mad when it breaks again... Cuz it's gonna ! I've seen you drive :driving:
I totally agree. If I was starting over I woukd build a 14 bolt. But this is what I had and I have already put so much money in it I can't justify starting over. And also after some measuring a 14 bolt won't fit in my buggy and still have the up travel I want. After talking with kreg in the rcv booth at the expo I decided to go this route. He told me they had been treating gears for drag cars and tractor pull guys and we're having incredible results. If I break a rear ring and pinion and will have my rears treated also. For what I have in the 76 now if I break a gear set every couple years it's worth it to have not had to do the 14 bolt and ride on the bumpstops. :****:

I'm gonna pull the front cover off next week and change the milk in the front end. I will take a pic of where the load bolt has been touching the ring gear. I really think if I didn't have the load bolt installed I would have probably already stripped the gears. It's very noticeable where it touched a couple times. I will say a 14 has much bigger ring and pinion but what makes them strong? The 3rd bearing to keep down deflection.

BUG-E J said:
I will say a 14 has much bigger ring and pinion but what makes them strong? The 3rd bearing to keep down deflection.

Agreed... But also better keep an eye on that third bearing periodically if you beat on it on a regular basis...

Well my pinion nut on my front end came off this weekend. I was 2nd gear on the nitrous when the yoke came off. The pinion dropped into the pyder gear hole in the carrier and locked the front end down. I destroyed both pinion bearings and only broke 2 teeth on the ring gear. No pinion damage. I will be sending this set of gears to rcv to be treated also. I expected it to be toasted but it still looks good.

Re: LP dana 60

e364f136b18e1f2ab3f0e518afea04c2.jpg

The pinion fell into that hole and locked the front end up when it landed. It had some decent air under the front tires too. I was very impressed that's all the damage that was done.

Re: LP dana 60

ec0f3b88210d8bc8bbc9e1fada931bd8.jpg
and that's the promised pic of the contact area on the ring gear from the load bolt.