• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS engine builds

6.0 lq4
TSP heads (comp about 10.8:1)
custom grind comp cam (230ish and 590ish) 112+2
forget what springs and rods

makes 300 to the wheels on 43s.

not the biggest hp rig around, but she moves out pretty good and gets rowdy when needed.

hope this helps some

I'd run 3 kits and a controller. That's at least 1000hp... Since the ls is the holy engine it should handle a little spray... and I'd spend the other 3600 on hookers and blow

Coming from a Ford guy...lol
01bda7ce1fb00525ea23fac51e4eeedb.jpg
d9239568fbf929336b64d379230f65c0.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

2001 truck 5.3L

Full rebuild (gaskets, bearings, rings, etc)
Flat top pistons
Texas speed 224/224 cam and pac springs
8.1 injectors.

This is my set up in my TJ wrangler. No dyno time but I figure somewhere north of 400 hp. I haven't had a scenario where I needed more power.
I think I'm about $3000 into the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

30th6 said:
I thought I would cut down my harness just to say I did. I still have to wire it to the fuse box but here it is so far.
The worst thing about the harness is I've not found a complete list of can be deleted . Searching Google, and test fitting the harness to sensors took the longest .
Looking back I should of paid someone to do it. I've been working on for a day and a half and still not done
8d8754650c5e2dae3aa58de36bbca4db.jpg
824dc7e2c6acd534b91622bb1c29ba37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Check out lt1swap.com. Best info I found on what to keep and what to cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random question since this came up....Can any LS based DBW engine be converted to DBC or vice versa?

scooter60 said:
Random question since this came up....Can any LS based DBW engine be converted to DBC or vice versa?

My 99 LS1 was DBW, but Wayne Hartwig said those versions were trash and he would advise converting to DBC. So I snagged a DBC from a 00 Camaro, and he is building me a new harness with trans controls for the 4l80. There is a thread on LT1swap about which ones can and can't.

http://www.lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm

it's an LQ not an LS that's what makes all the difference, 800hp just with a chip, programmer and 2 summit stickers on the buggy or truck.

sleepsontoilet said:
My 99 LS1 was DBW, but Wayne Hartwig said those versions were trash and he would advise converting to DBC. So I snagged a DBC from a 00 Camaro, and he is building me a new harness with trans controls for the 4l80. There is a thread on LT1swap about which ones can and can't.

http://www.lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm
redneckengineered said:
You can go from DBW to DBC without a lot of fuss in most cases but going from DBC to DBW is much more difficult and costly and sometimes not really feasible depending on what year your motor/ECM is.

Thanks for the info. Staying with a cable operated throttle is going to help simplify the swap in my situation. I was originally looking at older LQ's to use as a donor and core to build from but after reading this thread I am now looking at/for a newer L96 if I can find one cheap enough. I new there was an issue with swapping from wire to cable/cable to wire but wasn't sure what the particulars were. Any other things to keep in mind with using these motors? I live 30 minutes from Brian Tooley Racing so most of the goodies will come from them.

scooter60 said:
Thanks for the info. Staying with a cable operated throttle is going to help simplify the swap in my situation. I was originally looking at older LQ's to use as a donor and core to build from but after reading this thread I am now looking at/for a newer L96 if I can find one cheap enough. I new there was an issue with swapping from wire to cable/cable to wire but wasn't sure what the particulars were. Any other things to keep in mind with using these motors? I live 30 minutes from Brian Tooley Racing so most of the goodies will come from them.

Truck oil pans are good if you can fit them. Otherwise seek something with good baffling, and consider an accumulator. They run a little warmer than the old SBCs, so keep that in mind. There is a ton of info over on pirate in the 5.3 thread on pirate. Some of it is dumb rhetorical bs, but if you use the search this thread tool you can sift through some of it easy enough.

For anyone considering an LS in a rear engine. Using a DBW throttle body eliminates snaking a cable or linkage through a chassis. Wires are much easier to bend.
Trailblazer SS oil pan also works well in a rear engine application.

Current buggy is going to be a lq4 with BTR stage 2 truck cam. Eventually going to do a lsa supercharger or a mild stroker build. Have to recover some funds from building this thing first.

Just for comparison I guess. My motor is a 2000 LS1 has a all forged Lunati 383 stroker kit in the bottom, bigger cam, 799 cast heads that are stage 3 port/polish from texas speed, 102mm FAST intake (opened up a little), 102 Mark Williams throttle body. I have a pretty good chunk of change in my motor but haven't had any mechanical issues, but still have some idling issues with a speed density tune. It made 330 hp on Lane's dyno with the 43" tires on it.

I am saying all that because if I had known what I know now I would have went the 6.0 cam/heads/intake with a tune and been close to the same, if not the same.

Transmission question...... I run a TH350 K case. Since going to the K case I have had zero issues and PTC builds all my transmissions.

As for parts (its a shameless plug)... my brother owns "Mewbourn Racing Parts" if you have FB check'em out. He is a drag racer and runs some pretty good deals.

Are you using the long runner truck FAST intake or the shorter runner car intake? I had the truck intake on my LS and had idle issues, would go dead when pulled into gear unless I blipped the throttle. Lane and Kevin Smith tuned on my engine but neither could get it to idle correctly. Eventually I knocked a hole in the FAST intake and temporarily replaced it with a stock Trail Blazer intake, the idle issue went away but so did some of the performance.

I have a 08 5.3, they come with the 799 heads flat top pistons, the flex fuel injectors are larger and a good intake. They make more power stock and will make more power with the cam swap than the older 5.3s
The bad is there DoD but if your gonna do a cam swap no big deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mna0121 said:
Are you using the long runner truck FAST intake or the shorter runner car intake? I had the truck intake on my LS and had idle issues, would go dead when pulled into gear unless I blipped the throttle. Lane and Kevin Smith tuned on my engine but neither could get it to idle correctly. Eventually I knocked a hole in the FAST intake and temporarily replaced it with a stock Trail Blazer intake, the idle issue went away but so did some of the performance.

It is the FAST car intake 102mm. I believe the issue is actually to much air if that makes sense. But exactly what you said its coming back down to an idle after a wide open throttle pull. Lane and Sam has done all of the tuning on mine. Sam has told me he has some improvements that he would like to put into mine but I haven't had a chance to get over to Chattanooga for him to load a new program in it.

I actually broke a rocker arm bolt on the dyno at Lane's. Took the buggy off the dyno replaced the bolt and did a little more tuning with Lane out in the yard there at his shop.

Latest posts