• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS engine builds

RustyC said:
For anyone considering an LS in a rear engine. Using a DBW throttle body eliminates snaking a cable or linkage through a chassis. Wires are much easier to bend.
Trailblazer SS oil pan also works well in a rear engine application.
This is absolutely true. Took two long Lokar cables and some creative bracketry on Bombshell to make the throttle smooth.
'04-'06 GTO oil pans are front sump also.

LQ4 stroked to 402 with Molnar crank and rods. SRP 10.7 pistons, new LS3 Heads, Brian Tooley rockers, Texas Speed stage 1 cam kit 225/236 duration 629/615 lift. Stock LS3 injectors and intake. Tuned by Steve's Automotive in Lebanon TN. Texas Speed said it should have 560-565 horsepower. Made 315 at wheels on dyno.

Sawzall said:
LQ4 stroked to 402 with Molnar crank and rods. SRP 10.7 pistons, new LS3 Heads, Brian Tooley rockers, Texas Speed stage 1 cam kit 225/236 duration 629/615 lift. Stock LS3 injectors and intake. Tuned by Steve's Automotive in Lebanon TN. Texas Speed said it should have 560-565 horsepower. Made 315 at wheels on dyno.

For $5k?

Jduck said:
I thought $5K would be close but it is near $5500 and adding tuning and eBay used injectors and intake it is close to $6500. That doesn't count the LQ4 engine that I started with.

If you have a good motor already and have the book of faces join LSX parts for sale or other swap groups, there are a lot of stroker parts and other parts brand new people sell for decent prices, a lot of 4.00 stroke cranks are 500 brand new. I think a lot depends on when you want to build a motor also look into lunati they have a 4.0 stroke crank and rod kit for about $1,100 some times on sale for about a grand.

Sawzall said:
Sounds like a nice motor, someday I hope to build something similar

I bought a L92 from a guy in Connecticut who sells engines on LS1 tech. I paid $3500 for a complete engine with all the acc (wiring harness, ecm, starter, alt etc) and 6l80 shipped to my door in Florida. Engine had 10k miles on it when I got it. I bought a LSA supercharger NIB off ebay for $1500. Spent $1500 at Texas speed on blower B cam, beehive valve springs, LS3 timing chain cover conversion, ATI dampener, and 22% overdrive pulley for the supercharger. Spent $800 on 90lb/hr injectors, and another $200 on the factory fuel rail. Had the heads and blower CNC ported for anther $1000. Fuel pump/FPR cost me another $750. Stock crank, bearings, pistons etc. I did change the ring gap but thats it. Stock rocker arms and pushrods (pushrods will be upgraded soon). I then spent $1400 to have Current Performance build me a new wiring harness, E38 ECM and dyno tune everything. Motor was set up to run on pump gas and with a very conservative tune made over 750hp at 10.8psi of boost.

fl-krawler said:
I bought a L92 from a guy in Connecticut who sells engines on LS1 tech. I paid $3500 for a complete engine with all the acc (wiring harness, ecm, starter, alt etc) and 6l80 shipped to my door in Florida. Engine had 10k miles on it when I got it. I bought a LSA supercharger NIB off ebay for $1500. Spent $1500 at Texas speed on blower B cam, beehive valve springs, LS3 timing chain cover conversion, ATI dampener, and 22% overdrive pulley for the supercharger. Spent $800 on 90lb/hr injectors, and another $200 on the factory fuel rail. Had the heads and blower CNC ported for anther $1000. Fuel pump/FPR cost me another $750. Stock crank, bearings, pistons etc. I did change the ring gap but thats it. Stock rocker arms and pushrods (pushrods will be upgraded soon). I then spent $1400 to have Current Performance build me a new wiring harness, E38 ECM and dyno tune everything. Motor was set up to run on pump gas and with a very conservative tune made over 750hp at 10.8psi of boost.

Ok so that's a perfect example of how to not build one for $5k. But it was perfect timing for you to brag about how much you spent thumb.gif

fl-krawler said:
I bought a L92 from a guy in Connecticut who sells engines on LS1 tech. I paid $3500 for a complete engine with all the acc (wiring harness, ecm, starter, alt etc) and 6l80 shipped to my door in Florida. Engine had 10k miles on it when I got it. I bought a LSA supercharger NIB off ebay for $1500. Spent $1500 at Texas speed on blower B cam, beehive valve springs, LS3 timing chain cover conversion, ATI dampener, and 22% overdrive pulley for the supercharger. Spent $800 on 90lb/hr injectors, and another $200 on the factory fuel rail. Had the heads and blower CNC ported for anther $1000. Fuel pump/FPR cost me another $750. Stock crank, bearings, pistons etc. I did change the ring gap but thats it. Stock rocker arms and pushrods (pushrods will be upgraded soon). I then spent $1400 to have Current Performance build me a new wiring harness, E38 ECM and dyno tune everything. Motor was set up to run on pump gas and with a very conservative tune made over 750hp 400hp at 10.8psi of boost.

Jduck said:
Ok so that's a perfect example of how to not build one for $5k. But it was perfect timing for you to brag about how much you spent thumb.gif

If you cut out the middle part then it looks pretty legit. L92 + 6l80 w/ harness and tuned for $4900... :****:

TBItoy said:
If you cut out the middle part then it looks pretty legit. L92 + 6l80 w/ harness and tuned for $4900... :****:
Your math is off. He's like 11k into that setup. I think you can 6l80 around $2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrdrinksalil said:
Your math is off. He's like 11k into that setup. I think you can 6l80 around $2500.

I think you missed the part where he used subtraction in his math as well :rolf:

6.0, high torque/low torque potato cam, and some long tubes. 900hp easy and spend the other 2k on gourmet cheeses.

mrdrinksalil said:

Ok I'll try again and delete what I crossed out in his quote... ::)

fl-krawler said:
I bought a L92 from a guy in Connecticut who sells engines on LS1 tech. I paid $3500 for a complete engine with all the acc (wiring harness, ecm, starter, alt etc) and 6l80 shipped to my door in Florida. Engine had 10k miles on it when I got it.

I then spent $1400 to have Current Performance build me a new wiring harness, E38 ECM and dyno tune everything.

thumb.gif

scooter60 said:
I live 30 minutes from Brian Tooley Racing so most of the goodies will come from them.

I built Brian's pool. :****: all the tech I molaugh have here.

poolman said:
I built Brian's pool. :****: all the tech I molaugh have here.

Does that mean I am picking the parts up from your store or your house since you and Brian are on a first name basis? :rolf:

Jduck said:

Fawk, guess I never really took the time to add how much I am into it at this point. I guess I still had in my mind what I told my wife I spent on the parts :rolf:. Regardless, a L92 makes 400hp stock, and most people are getting in the mid 500's with nothing more than a cam swap and tuning.

On an extreme budget you could always do a high mileage LY6. If you aren't scared to run an engine with more than 150K miles they can be had at most yards around here for under $800. They are a 6.0L bock, and they have the same heads as the L92/Ls3