• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS engine builds

mrdrinksalil

So for the sake of some good tech discussion and the fact I need to build a new motor. Let's say you've got $5K and need a complete engine with accessory drive and EFI for your buggy. What would you buy? How would you spend it for your buggy? ... Ford boys can sit this one out; The grown ups are talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IN. Trying to figure out the same. My new buggy has a 6.0 with a small comp cam and 5.3 heads. Trying to decide if I'm going to put some more power to it or have just a good reliable engine.

6.0L LQ4, .030 over -4cc domed pistons (10.5 compression ratio), 317 ported heads, LS6 intake (truck intake if you can fit it), 60lb injectors, your choice of cam, new valve springs to match cam, ZL1 headers (on the cheap).

Should be around $4,000 ish, make plenty of low end torque, and around 450hp-500hp at the crank.

Stick with the factory EFI properly tuned they are the most bang for your buck. Hell you would probably enjoy cutting down the harness,just to say you did.

if it's a good running 6.0 what about a set of ls3 heads or lsa heads and a lsa supercharger, you can get a factory used one of lsx rated for about 1500-2300. then 650 for ls3 heads and you could have a 500 hp motor cheap

Where's the best place to get a good quality LS these days? Little spin off, what's the best trans to put behind them if you're just a regular wheeler?

jeeptj99 said:
Where's the best place to get a good quality LS these days? Little spin off, what's the best trans to put behind them if you're just a regular wheeler?

Can't beat a th400...

Here are my suggestions.
#1 Look for good tuners that are some what local to you. Closer the better. The last thing you want to do is drive hours away any time you want to tweak or need to change something.
#2 Talk with tuners and engine builders (if you need one). Find two that work well together and that you like and go with them. It's nice when everyone is on the same page as far as parts for your goal.
#3 Make your goal clear to everyone involved upfront and make sure they are comfortable with it.

Kubotaorange76 said:
where do most of you guys source the parts like stated in the build above?

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/
https://www.texas-speed.com/

I started with a complete LQ4 that I pulled from a 2005 GMC 2500 work truck. I tore it all the way down for inspection and dropped the block and crank off at a local engine builder. No excessive wear was found, so they polished the crank, honed the cylinders and sent me home with main bearings, cam bearings, Speed-pro flat top pistons and a piston ring set. I scored a nice set of 243 heads to replace the 317 truck heads. I ordered a Brian Tooley Racing Stage 2 truck cam along with a new set of springs that I probably didn't need. I decided that since I now essentially have an iron block LS2, I should think about fuel. I bought a set of LS2 injectors on eBay and built some .200" spacers so they'd work with my truck intake and fuel rail. Lastly, I scored a free pair of LS3 exhaust manifolds from a 2010 Camaro. I believe it should be a relatively strong and reliable power plant for my new buggy... time will tell.

complete LQ4 - $1000
243 heads - $300
BTR cam & springs - $460
LS2 fuel injectors - $100
oil pan ~ $200
machine work, piston, rings, bearings ~ $900
engine gaskets, oil pump, timing chain set ~ $1000

Total... <$5000

For $5k I'm probably not going to "build" anything. No one ever talks about the L96. It is a Gen IV 6.0 iron block found in 2010 and up GM/Chevy work trucks meaning they are super plentiful and still can be found with lower mileage. They're in junkyards all over and can be snagged with all the accessories, ECM, pedal, and harness for a couple grand. They are a VVT motor and have the monster LS3 rectangle port heads. You can toss a cam and tune in these and break 500hp easy while maintaining good trail characteristics. I've seen it done with the dyno sheets to prove it. Then on down the line if you ever want to build a stroker you already have the perfect platform to work from.

I would either do that or look for a 6.2 (L92 or L94) which would be harder to find and more expensive but you could still come in under your 5k budget if you were not in a rush and waited for the right deal.

sort of off topic

what makes the ls platform able to make so much more usable hp per cubic inch? heads and chamber design?
the variable cams on the coyote fords enable them to make awesome low end and top end, but at the cost of being complicated, expensive etc,
does the ls use a simple roller camshaft with pushrods and timing chain?
not long ago 1 hp per cube was about as good as you could get and still have decent vacuum and torque under 2500-3000

Kubotaorange76 said:
sort of off topic

what makes the ls platform able to make so much more usable hp per cubic inch? heads and chamber design?
the variable cams on the coyote fords enable them to make awesome low end and top end, but at the cost of being complicated, expensive etc,
not long ago 1 hp per cube was about as good as you could get and still have decent vacuum and torque under 2500-3000

Liberal tears and bald eagle piss.

jeeptj99 said:

Build a relationship with a local junkyard. Search car-part.com and see what is local. Most of the prices online are bogus and they'll go way lower. For reference, I bought this 99 Vette LS1 for 1K with all accessories/harness/computer/etc for a grand, and this 4l80 from a 00 2500 for $350 locally. I buy from Ernesto all the time, so he usually comes way off the prices listed, and can always locate it somewhere else if he doesn't have it. I'd say for just a crawler, that's plenty of HP for just rec wheeling stock. If you just saw fit, call up Texas Speed for a $2000 head/cam setup and bump it into the 500 HPs.

b5zxUo0h.jpg

6.0 truck engine with BTR cam kit will get you good solid power for cheap. if you decide to deviate from the truck intake then you may run into additional cost as you may need to buy harness adapters, MAF adapter etc.

6.0 - $1000 - $1,200
Cam Kit - $500-$750
Cam Bearings - $30
gaskets - $110
lifters & trays- $150
new head bolts - $45
head gaskets - $65
Kevco pan - $300

PS and Alternator brackets - $300

assembly - $0 to $600

harness chop and ECU tuning - $350-$450

Kubotaorange76 said:
sort of off topic

It's the ignition system.

Basically every other mfg tried to fix a problem that wasnt' there by adding a bunch of complexity.

GM said, "hell lets take a small block ford, turn it 'round backards, make it not mis-fire as much, and bolt the crank in REAL good"

And the LS was born.

Re: Re: LS engine builds

extremetownie said:
Stick with the factory EFI properly tuned they are the most bang for your buck. Hell you would probably enjoy cutting down the harness,just to say you did.
I thought I would cut down my harness just to say I did. I still have to wire it to the fuse box but here it is so far.
The worst thing about the harness is I've not found a complete list of can be deleted . Searching Google, and test fitting the harness to sensors took the longest .
Looking back I should of paid someone to do it. I've been working on for a day and a half and still not done
8d8754650c5e2dae3aa58de36bbca4db.jpg
824dc7e2c6acd534b91622bb1c29ba37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:
For $5k I'm probably not going to "build" anything. No one ever talks about the L96. It is a Gen IV 6.0 iron block found in 2010 and up GM/Chevy work trucks meaning they are super plentiful and still can be found with lower mileage. They're in junkyards all over and can be snagged with all the accessories, ECM, pedal, and harness for a couple grand. They are a VVT motor and have the monster LS3 rectangle port heads. You can toss a cam and tune in these and break 500hp easy while maintaining good trail characteristics. I've seen it done with the dyno sheets to prove it. Then on down the line if you ever want to build a stroker you already have the perfect platform to work from.

I would either do that or look for a 6.2 (L92 or L94) which would be harder to find and more expensive but you could still come in under your 5k budget if you were not in a rush and waited for the right deal.

So this is exactly what I was thinking before I started this thread. L96, LS3 intake just for looks, 228ish cam 112LSA, go to the party at around 500/500.