• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS Fuel pump what do you recommend?

kushKrawlin said:
I may can find that stuff but it's not with my motor I got. I'm still reading and really taking advice from Pat. He knows motors. I know nothing. Except 400 for a fuel pump ain't happening for me. Hell to tha naw naw naw. But I'll look into that.. Thanks!

I don't know more than anyone else here really. But for around $200 you can get a new OEM fuel sending unit which will take care of all the scavenging issues and your pump. At that point it's just a matter of getting the sending unit in your tank and running the lines.

I've ran a walboro in my jeep for 6 years trouble free but for the buggy build I bought a aeromotive in tank! I hope it lasts half as long as the walboro has!

Wonder why some go with in tank and some go with a external ? Is it just preference. And patooyee don't lie... I would go out on a limb and say you have a bit more knowledge than most... Can't fool me!
Ps. I'm bout to head to Knoxville to pick up my dirty, worn out , 300,000 mile Ole busted LS right now. I'm pretty excited.

Re:

Why not just load the jeep up, take it with ya and make Pholman swap the motor in for ya. He ain't got nothing to do anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kushKrawlin said:
Wonder why some go with in tank and some go with a external ? Is it just preference. And patooyee don't lie... I would go out on a limb and say you have a bit more knowledge than most... Can't fool me!
Ps. I'm bout to head to Knoxville to pick up my dirty, worn out , 300,000 mile Ole busted LS right now. I'm pretty excited.

I went with an in tank because I already had a fuel cell in my TJ with the TJ sending unit inside. So when I did the LS swap I upgraded the pump inside the TJ sending unit.

I've burned up a few externals. I didn't have trouble after going to GSL392 Walbro, but also didn't put much time on either rig after that. All the fancy pants racers guys are going in tank, and the OEM's do as well. Cooling effect of fuel, not vulnerable to being packed with dust/mud and overheating, vibration is isolated by liquid etc.
On my last buggy, I used the OEM fuel lines as well. They were made to go down a trans and across a tcase, they just ended up where I needed them to for my pump. Scavenge what you can off an old donor somebody is scrapping

blacksheep10 said:
I've burned up a few externals. I didn't have trouble after going to GSL392 Walbro, but also didn't put much time on either rig after that. All the fancy pants racers guys are going in tank, and the OEM's do as well. Cooling effect of fuel, not vulnerable to being packed with dust/mud and overheating, vibration is isolated by liquid etc.
On my last buggy, I used the OEM fuel lines as well. They were made to go down a trans and across a tcase, they just ended up where I needed them to for my pump. Scavenge what you can off an old donor somebody is scrapping

I agree. I have gone through several GSL392s over the years, they are external and I think the heat is what kills them. Plus they don't like being run out of fuel.

Most pumps are not meant to pull fuel. If you have a top feed cell those pumps are killing themselfs trying to pull fuel up and out of the cell. A bottom feed fuel cell wouldn't be bad with an external pump.

Craig_c said:
Most pumps are not meant to pull fuel. If you have a top feed cell those pumps are killing themselfs trying to pull fuel up and out of the cell. A bottom feed fuel cell wouldn't be bad with an external pump.

This is good info. Also, have you ever heard about how you can boil water at room temp under enough vacuum? If you haven't, just look for a video of it on Youtube.

Same principal with the pickup of a fuel pump. It is a low pressure / vacuum zone and right there at the pickup fuel is much more likely to flash-boil than anywhere else. Being in the tank surrounds that area with tons of cool fuel. Being outside the tank removes that entire cooling medium. In tank also helps keep the pump mechanics cooler, which also helps everything.

Re: Re: LS Fuel pump what do you recommend?

patooyee said:
This is good info. Also, have you ever heard about how you can boil water at room temp under enough vacuum? If you haven't, just look for a video of it on Youtube.

Same principal with the pickup of a fuel pump. It is a low pressure / vacuum zone and right there at the pickup fuel is much more likely to flash-boil than anywhere else. Being in the tank surrounds that area with tons of cool fuel. Being outside the tank removes that entire cooling medium. In tank also helps keep the pump mechanics cooler, which also helps everything.
I only have a 3" tool when I step out of a cool pool.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

External bosch 044 for the past 4 years and no issues. My tuner recommends walbro 255's for all the LS swap stuff he does.

croes said:
External bosch 044 for the past 4 years and no issues. My tuner recommends walbro 255's for all the LS swap stuff he does.
To clarify for those reading later, a Walbro 255 is a GSL 392 (there is another variant that is 255 LPH as well I think, that's just the one I use). The 255 is Liters Per hour. believe there's a 190 LPH as well that is a slightly different part number, maybe a 391 without searching? Either way, if you can swing it, get your pump down in the fuel. The super cheap way is via factory sender if you get it with the donor.
My last buggy had the fuel pickup line on the bottom back of the cell and a flat tube running in to the center so suction was minimized

Re: Re: LS Fuel pump what do you recommend?

infamous1 said:
I only have a 3" tool when I step out of a cool pool.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

And we don't want it flash-boiling either!

Re: LS Fuel pump what do you recommend?

What's the latest and greatest in tank pump? I'm only getting 46psi at the rail in my 6.0 GM, so I'm running out of fuel up high. I'd like to go Walbro in tank, but keep reading bad reviews on Chinese knock-offs labeled as Walbro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: LS Fuel pump what do you recommend?

Beerj said:
I'm running a walbro external and have 65 at the rails. What is your return setup like?
I run an aluminum cell, with a modded pick-up. The return is stock at the rail. I'd like to keep it in the tank, due to heat reasons. Non-ethanol only.

I just had to reconfigure my fuel system on an old truck I'm building, while doing this I did a ton of research on fuel systems and ran across one video on the return lines, I think it was an aeromotive video, anyways they showed the difference between running the return to the top of a tank and running it to the bottom, actually below the top of the fuel. When it poured back on the top it aeriated the fuel terrible which made the pump act terrible, when ran to the bottom the pump was smooth as silk. I wondered how many people with rigs that have pumps burn up is due to some problem like this?