• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ls swaps

cray

Is it cheaper to do a ls swap or build an old sbc just wondering if anyone has did the figures to c which is better

Do you already have a old school sbc in the rig? What are your goals for the build? How much hp do you want? Do you have a fuel system that will support an LS in place already?

The choice between running an old school motor and an ls for the most part is going to depend on whether you want to run propane or fuel injection.It cost a lot to put fuel injection on an older motor.

Im running a tbi 350 that has a ring broke or head cracked if I built it im shooting for around 400 hp and changeing it to fast ez efi system but on the other hand I dont no which motor to build out of it I want it to rev quick an have good number across the board

Since you'd plan on buying a $2000 bolt on EFI system, then you might as well spend that money toward a 6.0 LS style motor (LQ4 most likely for the money).

Add a cam & valve train upgrades, and a tune, then you'll be at your goal of 400 HP...

Sounds to me like you'd be basically starting from scratch on the motor....so dollar for dollar vs hp... get a low mileage as possible pullout ls... have the harness worked and throw a tune on her and roll out....just keep in mind you'll have to swap flywheels and change the mounts. Still.... alot cheaper than pulling 400 horse and fast ez fuel injection out of an old school sbc. Don't get me wrong... I love em... just cheaper to do an ls swap. Already been down the road you're on...haha

Not many people run propane, so not as much info, but you really should consider it. I've ran propane for years. It's simpler than a carb so less stuff to go wrong such as sensors. I had the local propane company set a big tank at my house and I fill my own tanks at $2 per gallon. Propane is 104-114 octane so high compression heads really help. You should be able to do this cheaper and easier than LS swap.