• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LSx Air Intake Temps - How high is too high?

the_white_shadow

I use an OBD2 bluetooth dongle and the Dash Command App to monitor water temps and the air intake readings are on the same screen. It has be wondering how hot is too hot for an air intake temp on an LS based engine. Im running an '05 6.0L out of 2500HD truck with some bolt on upgrades. Nothing crazy. I saw the air temps reach 155 degrees this last weekend and the weather outside was 85 degrees tops.

I dont think the air filter is too close to the exhaust on the passenger side, but that high of a temp seems way off to me. What should the range be for LS motors for them to run optimally? It was running fine at those temps. Water temp in the engine was 205ish all weekend long and spiked to 225 on longer climbs.

You can see the grey filter here in this pic.

I looked at a couple of HP tuners scans I did a while back. On a 99 Silverado 5.3 with stock air intake hovered around 90* IAT.
I also have a scan of my buggy from last year when by filter was not isolated from engine bay temps. It was 129* IAT the gauge on HP tuner turns red when warmed than desired.
Seeing that on the scans I would say somewhere between 90* and 129* is getting to warm. Is your radiator fan blowing onto the filter? Maybe deflect some of that air.