• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LUkes links

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
Is anyone using lukes links? Curious if anyone is using them and what you thoughts are?

I have installed them on 4 trucks! Great deal and they work great. Lot cheaper than buying new trackbars and cheaper then one of the fancy $800 heavy duty ones.

We've installed several dozen at our shop (we stock 4 kits at all times)....Have had VERY good luck with 'em:awesomework:...they are also out for the XJ/TJ bars as well!!!:cheer:

I went with an aftermarket bar. I just consider the lukes link as a bandaid. But just about everyone i know who runs them, hasn't had any problems. Only know a couple people that want to upgrade to a better bar.

how do the last?

In the 5 yrs we've been installing them, we've only had one come back for repair--the beauty of 'em is you can buy the 'gut kit' separately, and rebuild the end for about $30...If your socket is worn out, usually you can just run down to your local Schwab, or front end shop, and grab another stocker they have in the scrap bin (one they replaced on a customer rig) for free, and install your Luke's to it...good to go!!!:awesomework: FYI, the main reason his wore out was he is NOT one to grease his rig!!!:haha:

i used it on my 97 worked great..although i agree with jeff in that it is a band aid for a poor design on dodges part...but its a cheap long lasting fix...

I went with an aftermarket bar. I just consider the lukes link as a bandaid. But just about everyone i know who runs them, hasn't had any problems. Only know a couple people that want to upgrade to a better bar.

Well its on hell of a bandaid. I run my truck hard and it tows almost were ever it goes and not one issue with the bandaid.

I am weighing the options, it looks like the track bar is aftermarket already, however it still wonders to booot. I am going to order up some parts and thought the these Lukes links would be suffecient for the tierod ends,as these are worn. I would take any suggestions folks have.

I do believe I will be doing a bd steering box stabilizer at the same time.

1........just got to the hardwarestore and get a dual syinge of two part epoxy.
2........ Put a greaser fitting on the epoxy.
3.........push greaser tip from epoxy onto the tierod end
4..........squirt the goo into old sloppy tie rod end untill it comes out like grease.
5.........sit back and enjoy the fact that you replaced the SLOP in a WORN OUT tie rod end with epoxy making it tight again.

or replace it the right way. These lukes links might work, but it looks like something I would expect the messicans to invent to keep the lowrider hopper cars from spitting balljoints.

Taking a worn out tierod end and adjusting out the slop is a good idea. It just bothers me that tierods are meant to only last so long. The tapered ball is harder than the tierods body. That means that the ball could wear right thru the front of the shitty soft housing. Leaving you with NO steering, not sloppy steering.

I have pulled several tapered balls out of tierods and balljoints over the years.
I wont have a "worn out TRE tightner" on my truck.

Adjusting/tightning a SHITTY, POOR, SMALL, UNDERBUILT part just dont sound like a good idea to me.

Remember, a sloppy joint still steers. A "popped off, pushed thru the front" joint means NO STEERING AT ALL.

I am weighing the options, it looks like the track bar is aftermarket already, however it still wonders to booot. I am going to order up some parts and thought the these Lukes links would be suffecient for the tierod ends,as these are worn. I would take any suggestions folks have.

isnt you truck lifted?

If so it should have some extra room to work with. For less than the aftermarket track bar, you could have a custom one made with johny joints.

FAR SUPERIOR

I have installed them on 4 trucks! Great deal and they work great. Lot cheaper than buying new trackbars and cheaper then one of the fancy $800 heavy duty ones.

if cost is a concern, why not just smash the back of the tierod in where the zerk is? That will take the slop out just like a LL!:haha::haha:

well, it is a bandaid, that's all I'm saying. I'd just rather fix the problem.

To really fix the problem would be to get rid of anything dodge in the front end! Swap in a 60 so you can have lockout hubs and not have to spend 1300 for a dynatrac kit. And you get rid of the crappy 2 piece axle with vacuum actuator. And then you will actually have wheel bearings you can rebuild and pack. And a good set of old fashioned leave springs. That would be fixing the problem!!! Or just buy the lukeslink for $80 and think how much money you saved . I have never heard of a problem with them and they guy who owns it seems like a really great guy and im sure would make everything right if there was a problem. Just trying to help a fellow wheeler save some money.

I would still say go for the lukeslink. Mine has been in my truck for 5 years with 35's and still going strong. Or go ahead and buy the $$$ track bar. But like you said i would also put on a steering box brace. PSC steering has a great deal on them. I have also installed about 5 of the braces also and they really help on the wear and tear of the steering components.

Last edited:
To really fix the problem would be to get rid of anything dodge in the front end! Swap in a 60 so you can have lockout hubs and not have to spend 1300 for a dynatrac kit. And you get rid of the crappy 2 piece axle with vacuum actuator. And then you will actually have wheel bearings you can rebuild and pack. And a good set of old fashioned leave springs. That would be fixing the problem!!! Or just buy the lukeslink for $80 and think how much money you saved . I have never heard of a problem with them and they guy who owns it seems like a really great guy and im sure would make everything right if there was a problem. Just trying to help a fellow wheeler save some money.

I would still say go for the lukeslink. Mine has been in my truck for 5 years with 35's and still going strong. Or go ahead and buy the $$$ track bar. But like you said i would also put on a steering box brace. PSC steering has a great deal on them. I have also installed about 5 of the braces also and they really help on the wear and tear of the steering components.

Why would I need to replace all of those other things? I'm not wheeling my Dodge :fawkdancesmiley:.

We've also done the TRE's with Luke's...but it all depends on the backspace of the wheel, and the Luke's body actually touched the diff cover on full turn IIRC, there MAY be some clearance issues putting luke's on the TRE's, so double check any potential issues with that!----my.02!