• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

I guess I will stand at the top of the rock pile with my old run of the mill reds and watch the Trep guys try to come up!

muddinmetal said:
An sx is way softer than a red... but it is not stickier

Good point, I guess the question was asked if they are softer and it was answered that the tires will be super sticky and will be an actual 42.

Jesse Haines doesn't even know... By his post, he's a little bitter about it. Saying 3rd quarter this year now... but they've said that for 2 years now.

Hell I don't disagree with him.. How Fukin hard is it to make a dam tire? ESP considering they already have a tire identical to it, just shorter... I hate when a company says their coming out with something and bullshit forever..

kushKrawlin said:
Hell I don't disagree with him.. How Fukin hard is it to make a dam tire? ESP considering they already have a tire identical to it, just shorter... I hate when a company says their coming out with something and bullshit forever..

Do you want a flop like the 42 red label? They want it to be right...

According to a source they "failed" the last testing. I respect a company wanting to get it right, but I'm with Kush on this... They should have waited to let the cat out of the bag, till they were close to releasing the tire. Waiting 2.5 years for something they said would be out 2 years ago is B.S. With that said I'll probably still try them :****:

Agricultural-Tire-Mold.jpg

One half of a Bogger mold. Looks expensive, huge, heavy, and extremely difficult to make to me. I'm no tire manufacturer though.

Google Image "tire mold" and you'll see even more elaborate / expensive ones.

It is my understanding that, once you have this, you put rubber in it, bake it, and pull it out, the rubber will contract as it cools. Once it contracts you have to take a bazillion measurements to make sure all dimensions are within spec. If they aren't you have to modify or re-make the mold to compensate for the contraction. Molds can cost tens out thousands of dollars to make and weigh thousands of pounds.

Maybe maxxis is trying to find someone that can read a tape measure for all these critical dimensions... Because advertising a 40" tire that only measures 38" doesn't seem within "spec" to me.

patooyee said:
Agricultural-Tire-Mold.jpg

One half of a Bogger mold. Looks expensive, huge, heavy, and extremely difficult to make to me. I'm no tire manufacturer though.

Google Image "tire mold" and you'll see even more elaborate / expensive ones.

It is my understanding that, once you have this, you put rubber in it, bake it, and pull it out, the rubber will contract as it cools. Once it contracts you have to take a bazillion measurements to make sure all dimensions are within spec. If they aren't you have to modify or re-make the mold to compensate for the contraction. Molds can cost tens out thousands of dollars to make and weigh thousands of pounds.
Yea my buddy is always bitchin bout molds being so expensive. Like 50 grand or so. And that's for a lil switch plate. But at the same time Maxxis should have this down pat by now. I know there's more to making a tire than we all know.. Believe me I know.. But ya would think by now they may be able to do in less rhan a few years. It's 2016, they been making tires since when? I guess I just have to accept that after 100 years of making tires that it can still take 3 years to get one right. Smh. Silly me.

I'd say something like a 42" comp trep is a pet project for a small division of the company and they will only sell a couple hundred a year at most...

Unlike a UTV tire, or a drag racing tire, or a street car track tire, or hell even a mountain bike tire, all of which there are probably 1000 more people likely to buy them than those looking at a 42 sticky trep.

Hell in the entire US, how many people actually buy/run 40" Treps, 39" Reds, and 43 Sticky SXs? Maybe 20,000? (probably less)

I bet Maxxis sells more Big Horn radial UTV tires in a month than all the above tires combined in a year.

Maxxis is a Chinese company anyway so who gives ****. : :stir:

For all of you waiting for this unicorn 42'' tire to come out that will probably be higher than bird *****, why not just go with a 43 TSL sticky? and have a set on your doorstep in a few days.

TBItoy said:
I'd say something like a 42" comp trep is a pet project for a small division of the company and they will only sell a couple hundred a year at most...

Unlike a UTV tire, or a drag racing tire, or a street car track tire, or hell even a mountain bike tire, all of which there are probably 1000 more people likely to buy them than those looking at a 42 sticky trep.

Hell in the entire US, how many people actually buy/run 40" Treps, 39" Reds, and 43 Sticky SXs? Maybe 20,000? (probably less)

I bet Maxxis sells more Big Horn radial UTV tires in a month than all the above tires combined in a year.

Maxxis is a Chinese company anyway so who gives ****. : :stir:
zukimaster said:
For all of you waiting for this unicorn 42'' tire to come out that will probably be higher than bird *****, why not just go with a 43 TSL sticky? and have a set on your doorstep in a few days.

Truth... I bet they end up weighing about the same and the Sx will be $200 cheaper a tire...