• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

military tires , whose using them ? whats your experience with them

SJR

looking at the used Hummer tires just wondering what peoples experience have been with them for a light wheeler with 3/4 ton axles in the NW , looking at the 37" tires and hummer beadlock rims, thanks guys Scott

I run them at around 6 psi and they are great on the trails around here. Sometimes I get dirt and debris in the beads and they need to be cleaned out. That is with rubbber inserts. I have a brand new set of 37" Goodyear MTRs, still have the stickers on them for $750.

almost all of the value in the h1 wheel/tire combo is in the rims themselves. I run the 37" radials on my toyota with 1 ton running gear, I have yet to air them down below 30 psi due to the runflats but i can say they load up pretty poorly in the mud. The tires themselves are very thick and rigid, I don't expect them to squat very well when you air them down. I wouldn't pass up a set for super cheap but IMO i would value a used set of the 37 tires way less than a traditional offroad tire of the same size (BFG, MTR, Swamper, ETC..) if you look around you can find the wheel tire combo for a really good price, i paid $350 for a complete set with rims and the tires had around 50-60% tread

hope this helps!

logcrawlTSF.jpg

They dont start bulging till you get under 10 psi. I have no problems with the runflats, I have ran one at zero on the trails. There are pics of my Chev if you search some threads.

whats wrong with the runflats? can they not go below 30psi or something?

What sizes do the h1 rims come in? 16.5 only or are there other sizes?

I run them at around 6 psi and they are great on the trails around here. Sometimes I get dirt and debris in the beads and they need to be cleaned out. That is with rubbber inserts. I have a brand new set of 37" Goodyear MTRs, still have the stickers on them for $750.

What about the day you had to winch the bypass on the Alder? I drove up it like 4 times with half bald buck shots N i was open in the front? Those MTRs sure werent cleaning out that day!!

whats wrong with the runflats? can they not go below 30psi or something?

What sizes do the h1 rims come in? 16.5 only or are there other sizes?

Theres nothing wrong with the (rubber) runflats. You can run tires at 0 with them if you want.

d-17517.jpg

Why wouldn't you run a beadlock under 30 psi????? I have H1's with 36" Swamper radials and run them @ 7 lbs. on the trails and 4 lbs. on the snow. No problems yet..........Isn't that the reason to have beadlocks in the first place???

Last edited:
With the beadlock inserts, they are not cut down. You have to do that yourself with the magnesium and rubber run flats to really get some good squat out of the tires. The original H1 wheel and tire combo is designed to take bullets and drive out of the battlefield without running on a flat tire. So sure you can air down under 30 psi, but you won't be able to squat because of the run flats. Unless you cut them down or have the PVC insert that TWF sells. Kind of a lot of info, but hope it makes sense.

Great tow rig tire. HORRIBLE trail tire.

hey crazy, how many different ways did you cut them up with the groover just to find out they still suck? Didnt you have them on a heavy ol truck and it still wouldnt get them to grab ****?

Dont brag up poop just cuz you have some poop for sale.

Poop stinks. Dont put poop on your trail rig. MmmmK :D

I ran all of Elbe, Evans, Tahuya, Straddleline races, CORE challenge and snow runs with the surplus tires and they are pretty good for radial 37s. If I dont sell the set I have now, I will be running them when the snow is gone
:awesomework:

Attachments

• chev%20pics%20002.jpg
    chev%20pics%20002.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 186
  • goodyears 001.jpg
    goodyears 001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 174
  • goodyears 002.jpg
    goodyears 002.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 180
  • goodyears 003.jpg
    goodyears 003.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 177
  • goodyears 005.jpg
    goodyears 005.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I have some SRW hubs and recentered 12 stud H1s to go with the new set of Goodyears so I can go back to Evans when it reopens :awesomework:

Im going to leave the tires ungrooved and run lighter magnesium inserts. The full rubber ones are alot heavier.

Attachments

• goodyears 004.jpg
    goodyears 004.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 176
  • goodyears 006.jpg
    goodyears 006.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 179
  • goodyears 007.jpg
    goodyears 007.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 175
My .02 cents as a MT Marine.

They suck. great for a tow rig. They don't clean out great, the tread is super hard. I wouldn't consider them offroad for a light vehicle. They DO buldge out at low pressure even with a run flat they will flatten out almost as much as a a tire with out. the run flats just keep the weight off the side wall in order to keep the side walls from tearing on pavement when they are flat. dont think that will effect it offroad to much.

If they do go flat on pavement they are rated at 25 miles at 25 mph before they heat up enough to melt.

Another thing about these tires is you are going to find they are old.

When we upgraded to the newer series of HMMWV they started using real MTRK. Those should be showing up for sale soon since we started using them about 6 years ago. They are the old tread pattern and the military still can get the old tread as new tires and the manufacture date is recent.

thanks everyone good info, Im looking at these, anyone have them?, they are GOODYEAR WRANGLER MT/R 37X12.5x16.5

$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFdodBQuUf15w7Q~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fDwrYBQuUfnRmJ!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Run the MTR's you just posted...way better tire IMO...Is there a couple 37's out there for a 15" wheel????
:corn:

exactly what I was talking about if you can get those for a good price grab em they are exactly the same as the ones you used to be able to grab off the shelf as far I have ever been able to tell.

If you are getting a decent price I wouldnt mind getting a set if you wanna share where you are looking at them at.:D

Kev, if they are all military tires they will all be for a 16.5 that is the smallest wheel size I have ever seen on anything common enough for there to be surplus for sale.