• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mini buggy

I like the Honda engine / Toyota axle idea with a two front axles to get both diffs on one side for better driveline axles, but cheap goes out the window with a build like that.

4cyl bike motor to a 'zuk t-case and Toy axles or some independent suspension all around would be cool as well, but not cheap.

Sorry, just can't wrap my brain around cheap.

So lets say you got a wild hair and decided you wanted to build a mini buggy---something bigger than an oddesy but smaller than a full sized rig. Now lets say the whole idea of the rig was to do it as cheap as possable--but in such a way the parts used could be easily upgraded down the road..

What would you use :stirpot:

hmmm sorta like where I plan on goin with this

do it as cheap as possable
A sami would be best, but sami's are getting spendy anymore (unless you luck into a good deal).
Then again, trac/kicks are getting uber cheap ...

something bigger than an oddesy but smaller than a full sized rig
bingo! with a zuk

the parts used could be easily upgraded down the road
go zuk and ...
lotsa locker choices, lower tcase gears too.
in a trac/kick, lower tcase + 5.12 gears behind an auto trans == good crawl.

Now, you also mentioned "cheap" ... how much does tube cost nowadays :fawkdancesmiley:

That's becasue cheap doesn't equal reliable...or useable...it equals cheap...
Bah!

Required strength is relative to weight. If cheap parts are strong enough for the weight of the vehicle, then reliability is cheap. Toy axles on 33's should be plenty strong enough, and they sure as hell are cheap!

Thinner tube, and less of it, is cheaper. 33" tires are cheaper. Shorter/lighter coil-overs are cheaper. Certain drive train setups are cheaper (Honda, for example).

One seat is cheaper than two :flipoff: A smaller rig will burn less fuel, that's cheaper too :flipoff: Four banger hondas take less spark plugs... OK I'm done :flipoff:

FWIW, I think it would be a kick in the pants to drive a miniature moon buggy type thingy around. Not saying I'd build one, but it sounds like a fun diversion anyway.

VW TDI.
Richmond ROG.
Atlas 4spd.
Hybrid Dana 44's, or 9"s.
37" skinz.
Backbone frame 4130 No bent tubes.
A & B Hoops 4130.
All the rest Alum Tube.
Plastic Body Panels.
Lexan Floors
Gimbaled cup-holders in the bumpers for the spotters :beer:

Or you want a single seat moon buggy and build a 4 runner instead...

:flipoff:
I decided against that long ago, bottom line is that I cant afford it and that single seat is just not versitile enough. There will soon be a toyota in town that will shut you out:cool:

VW TDI.
Richmond ROG.
Atlas 4spd.
Hybrid Dana 44's, or 9"s.
37" skinz.
Backbone frame 4130 No bent tubes.
A & B Hoops 4130.
All the rest Alum Tube.
Plastic Body Panels.
Lexan Floors
Gimbaled cup-holders in the bumpers for the spotters :beer:

Miss the CHEAP part did we?

A Polaris (SP) RZR..... :awesomework:
Yamaha Rhino
Or a derivative of the other Rhino thing.
-Toy axles
-Civic SI motor mounted North/South
-Mitubishi Eclipse motor would work well for this as well
-I'd prefer the 3000GT TT V6 myself :redneck:
-Always in lo range.
-tube chassis
-20-24" belly 48-56" OAH.
-under 2k pounds.
:awesomework:

Shaft drive motorcycle engine thats air cooled(no clutch shifting) going to a suzi t-case and suzi axles. I figured it out a few years ago. I was gonna run a cx500 suzuki engine.

Latest posts