• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Money Talks" YJ build

Lil ugly said:
that is some good looking welds. What set up are you using? amps/wire speed?
Thank you! Just bought a new Miller 252. Using .030 wire. I typically run at about 16.5-17.2 volts and 220-230 in/min for wire speed. Welding round tube is not much fun nor is it easy. I help build custom corvette tube chassis on the side and worked in Micheal Waltrips chassis shop for 2 straight years so welding and chassis fab is kind of imbedded into my brain and muscle memory. I hope those numbers help ya thumb.gif

Patriot Customs said:
Thank you! Just bought a new Miller 252. Using .030 wire. I typically run at about 16.5-17.2 volts and 220-230 in/min for wire speed. Welding round tube is not much fun nor is it easy. I help build custom corvette tube chassis on the side and worked in Micheal Waltrips chassis shop for 2 straight years so welding and chassis fab is kind of imbedded into my brain and muscle memory. I hope those numbers help ya thumb.gif

I am using a Lincoln Invertec 350 and LN-25 with .035 wire at about the same voltage but a little less wire speed. You definitely have more practice than i do. Last time I used .030 wire i was using a Lincoln 175 HD mig from Home Depot. It had alot less juice than the rig that I am using now. I think the biggest problem I am having is that i am not able to move fast enough around the tube. Dont know if the smaller wire would help slow things down or not. thanks for the info.

Lil ugly said:
I am using a Lincoln Invertec 350 and LN-25 with .035 wire at about the same voltage but a little less wire speed. You definitely have more practice than i do. Last time I used .030 wire i was using a Lincoln 175 HD mig from Home Depot. It had alot less juice than the rig that I am using now. I think the biggest problem I am having is that i am not able to move fast enough around the tube. Dont know if the smaller wire would help slow things down or not. thanks for the info.

The smaller wire will help with your control to an extent. Gun positioning, tip distance and angles are the biggest thing people have a hard time with. A lot of welders start off their welds from the most comfortable position and then halfway through the weld they realize "Oh ****!" I cant see any more and my arm wont twist the way I need it to! I do the opposite, start off in an awkward position and slowly get to where im comfortable towards the end of my bead. I believe trying this will help ya. There is nothing worse than a ton of starts and stops in a bead of weld. :****:

Do you think you could get some good pic of your rear for link. I am for linking mine and yours looks good and about the same wheel base that I'm stretching mine.

Its been a while, but here are a couple pics of what I came up with for a rear clip. I still have to tie the cage in and design a coilover mount.

offroadwerks said:
What notcher are you using? My JMR won't let me notch in a bend like that. Looking good BTW!!! :dblthumb:
Its a Baileigh TN-250. I have always used Mittler Brothers mill style notchers, but for $500, this was the best money I have ever spent!

I brought the front clip off of the stock box frame the same way I did the rear, to keep it uniform. Its pretty tough blending something round into square but this was the best I could come up with. I will post some better pictures later. I am open ears to design flaws or better ways. This is my first buggy build so im taking it slow and putting in a lot of thought.