• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Money Transfer Options?

Tlh89

So i have a potential buyer for my Toyota Truggy posted on here. He is in Ohio, I'm in Georgia. His brother is on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN about 3-4 hours away from me. He says as long as the truck checks out he wants it. The issue is getting money to his brother. He asks if he can over night a cashiers check in my name to his brother. I'm not sure if i feel comfortable with that. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

I always prefer cash. However, I took a cashiers check on my 34 Ford for almost $30k. We called the bank and talked to them and gave them the check number and the amount and verified it was good before he left with the car. Still prefer cash!

Re:

Cashier check is OK. Just get your bank to call and verify its real. He could do a cashier check to his brother and brother could give you cash too...

Re:

TBItoy said:
Cashier check is OK. Just get your bank to call and verify its real. He could do a cashier check to his brother and brother could give you cash too...

This is what i was thinking and what i thought he was offering originally.

Tell him to go to any Walmart and send it... His brother can walk into any Walmart and pick up cash

In my case, I had to contact my bank to cash the cashiers check. It took them 24 hours to get that amount of cash at the branch. Just went to teller and handed her the check and she said she had been expecting me. Went to vault and brought it up in a bank bag and asked if I wanted her to count it out. I asked if they ever made any mistakes getting the money in. She said no, so I said thanks and walked out.
4e1fd3e3c223e3df57eec3f21ea5df85.jpg

Sent using left thumb.

TBItoy said:

JohnG said:
I always prefer cash. However, I took a cashiers check on my 34 Ford for almost $30k. We called the bank and talked to them and gave them the check number and the amount and verified it was good before he left with the car. Still prefer cash!

Yup, long as a bank verifies it you should be good. I tried to get $21k cash from my bank a few years ago when I was buying a C5 Z06 from a buddy and they said they didn't have it on hand to give me at that time so they gave me a cashier's check for free, generally they cost $8-9.00.

gottagofast said:
Tell him to go to any Walmart and send it... His brother can walk into any Walmart and pick up cash

Unless he's selling it really cheap that ain't gonna work, they have a max transfer limit. It's $2,999 USD online. I'd imagine it's the same in store. Dude that bought my crawler sent me $1300 through walmart and said that's the most they'd let him send at that time, which may or may not have been true.

Well I guess i'm poor-folk.... I never found that limit.... Course I don't have 'hidin money' lol

Re:

Wire transfer bank to bank is easy. You can have the money sitting in your account in a short period of time.. or cash I really like cash but some people aren't comfortable with large sums of cash

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If I had a dime for every "good cashiers check" I've been offered in the past, I'd buy out Tony Bolton and put him on payroll. :rolf: What's to say they bring a different check on the pickup day and it falls on a Saturday and there is nobody at their bank to call and verify funds? The old bait and switch. :mad: Call me cautious and non-trusting, but I've seen it and been through it and will never take another one cashiers check, EVER... It's either a Bank wire or Dead Presidents in hand is the only way to sell or buy these days. thumb.gif

cash or wire transfer pretty much the only thing for me too.

Cashiers check if its during the week and you can speak to someone at the branch and verify the check you have in your hand.

If you do a wire though....make sure it is an actual WIRE and not a TRANSFER. Transfers can be pulled back at any time within a certain window. Wire usually costs $25-$30 at most major banks though, but I personally think it is worth it on larger purchases. There are also apps nowadays like Venmo (Paypal) that are pretty much instant if that is your thing.

CHASMAN9 said:
If I had a dime for every "good cashiers check" I've been offered in the past, I'd buy out Tony Bolton and put him on payroll. :rolf: What's to say they bring a different check on the pickup day and it falls on a Saturday and there is nobody at their bank to call and verify funds? The old bait and switch. :mad: Call me cautious and non-trusting, but I've seen it and been through it and will never take another one cashiers check, EVER... It's either a Bank wire or Dead Presidents in hand is the only way to sell or buy these days. thumb.gif

I know an individual that sold a $60,000 BMW to an out of state individual in exchange for a cashier's check that turned out to be forged. Never saw his car again and the police never found the guy.

Unless it's someone I know it's cash only in a private transaction.

I have used PayPal with several members on here. I don't see what is so hard about it. Jduck and I made a $1500 transaction and it was in my PayPal acct. within seconds of him sending it. No one had to carry any cash around. Easy.

Is there a reason so many of you shy away from it? JW

zukimaster said:
And you better check the cash at random, know a guy that got lots of counterfeit hundo's at the rod run last year.

I was at a convenience store yesterday and paid with $3. She ran the marker on the $1 bills!! I said are you serious! She said I check all bills, more people are counterfeiting smaller bills cause the big ones are checked more often now