• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

mopar buggy project

Was it the hammerite smooth or bumpy finish (ok, not exact name, but you know what I mean)?

Was the paint warm?

Was it the hammerite smooth or bumpy finish (ok, not exact name, but you know what I mean)?

Was the paint warm?

It is smooth, and I'll have to try keeping the paint in the house. I had the shop up to 65 degrees, but the can of paint had been out there all night in the cold, you might just have something there. Never thought of it, dah. I'll keep ya posted on how that works.

And thanks everyone for compliments, I'm having a blast building it. And please if anyone sees something that they might have advice or a better idea on, let me know.

Ok, installed the firewall and warmed the paint up first. Not impressed, it did about the same, runs, and way too thick. Oh well. Maybe try thinning it next time, and see what happens.

Over the weekend, got the computer, firewall plug, almost all the wiring finished. Even got the air intake put in the firewall. I figured even if there is ever a backfire, the k&n filter will stop the flames from reaching the passenger, and if not, they probably needed woken up anyways. Now I need to finish taping it all up and put convoluted tubing over most of it. Sanitise things a bit.

Attachments

• DSCF0062.jpg
    DSCF0062.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Also pretty much got my dash finished. It still has the protective covering over it. Polished stainless, actually it started as a tailgate protector that was freight damaged that the company said keep it, so it was free. The face is made so the rolled edge that normally goes over the top of a tailgate is at the bottom, so a nice rounded surface just in case you smack your knees, it won't cut you up. I install Equus gauges, hey they work. I really wanted the autometer C2 series, but when I compared 170.00 to 33.00 it was hard to justify the extra expense. So I have volts, oil, temp, and also a B&M trans temp gauge. The tach is an old sunpro unit I've had for years. Not trying to be cheap, just trying to afford to finish it soon. Battery trays are made and got Exide Orbital Extreme's installed. Got the fuel pump, a Carter P5001 installed and a Fram HP1 filter also installed. Now for plumbing. Also have a kill switch on the dash for me, and another in the back that kill everything just in case.

Attachments

• DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0071.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF0072.jpg
    DSCF0072.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF0073.jpg
    DSCF0073.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF0074.jpg
    DSCF0074.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 375
I scored! Yesterday I got my front Dana 60, the best part, only $550. I knew being patient would pay off, but they were wearing thin.:awesomework:

I scored! Yesterday I got my front Dana 60, the best part, only $550. I knew being patient would pay off, but they were wearing thin.:awesomework:

Wow thats a score!! I'm totaly diggin this build and my dad is drooling over it, he's a big mopar guy and he says he doesn't want to wheel unless he has a buggy lol

Wow thats a score!! I'm totaly diggin this build and my dad is drooling over it, he's a big mopar guy and he says he doesn't want to wheel unless he has a buggy lol

Thank you, it's coming along very nice and actually I'm amazing myself just how good it looks. I am mopar all the way, always have been, and I would catch hell if it wasn't one, of course I catch it from everyone for it being one also. But Mopar's have never let me down, I had a 77 half ton with a 440 that I abused for years, including towing a 7000 lb Dory off the beach with super terra's on it for over 10 years straight, never gave me any trouble. I've got a long way to go yet, but it's getting there. When it's done, we'll have to meet up sometime.

Thank you, it's coming along very nice and actually I'm amazing myself just how good it looks. I am mopar all the way, always have been, and I would catch hell if it wasn't one, of course I catch it from everyone for it being one also. But Mopar's have never let me down, I had a 77 half ton with a 440 that I abused for years, including towing a 7000 lb Dory off the beach with super terra's on it for over 10 years straight, never gave me any trouble. I've got a long way to go yet, but it's getting there. When it's done, we'll have to meet up sometime.

Yeah that would be awesome. . . Been doing alot of thinking this week and its look like i'm gonna take out a loan and buy a buggy here pretty soon. . . so yeah that would be kick ass!!!

Here's the $550 axle. I'm happy with that. Hard to spend over $1000 for one when you will probably have to replace all the bearings, seals, gears, add an ARB, yoke, and possibly axle shafts. I've made up my mind, going to go with 6.17's. Also got the compressor installed, hey it looks like it's suppose to be there. Actually the bracket came off an old small block and since the V6 is basically the same, it fit, just had to cut an ear off, and drill a couple of holes is all. I plumbed the intake to the under side of the air cleaner, that K&N should work fine for a filter. The pressure side is plumbed to the center upright frame tube, then I drilled the main frame rails to carry the air rearward, and various other bars to act as an air tank. 1/4" holes thru joints, and welded up the outside holes. Got lucky, only had one leak, and it was in the middle of a tube, so I assume the factory weld missed a spot. Unfortunately it was behind the firewall which had to be ground loose in a spot to fix it. The tube where it leaked is also where I added to the cage height, so it is double walled there, one tube inside another, so I'm not worried about strength issues. For a total of 52 feet of pipe pressurized, that gives me a 4 gallon air tank, and one that's free and takes up no room. I figure I will run it at about 150 psi and use a regulator I have to cut it down for the ARB. I installed air fittings at each side just above the batteries, and will be putting in water drains at the lowest points also just in case. I did install a quick disconnect for the air cleaner housing and also the pressure hose off the compressor. So if for any reason I spring a leak, I can still get air from the compressor and bypass the tank. Trying to think ahead and avoid problems. Oh, by the way, the axle is out of a Dodge also. Mopar all the way!

Attachments

• DSCF0077.jpg
    DSCF0077.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF0078.jpg
    DSCF0078.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF0079.jpg
    DSCF0079.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF0080.jpg
    DSCF0080.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Looks good but is that air chuck right over the positive terminal on the battery? Could cause some excitement when hooking up a hose if thigs touched:eeek:

Could wake someone up yes, but it's farther away than it appears. I'll tell ya, If I arc it out, that keg for a fuel cell is full of beer and I've had too many.:beer:

getting frustrated now, waiting for my dual transfer case adapter from nw fab, ordered it the day after christmas and it's not here yet. Kind of at a halt here, nothing to do until I get the cases installed. Then I can get to work on sheetmetal and getting the axles installed.

Last edited:
Called NW fab again today, they claim my t case adapter should be here thursday. Two weeks ago they said last tuesday, wonder if he is right this time. Glad I'm not in a hurry.

:redneck: dang Marty that sucks, whats u doing this weekend?? I might stop by and haveu give me a hand setting up the diffs, I will bring the :beer:

Well thursday has came and went, STILL NO PARTS! Uggggg. 3 day weekend off and nothing to do unless I get lucky and they show up today, but I'm not holding my breath. What kind of luck has anyone else had with NW fab and shipping times?

Wow, finally I got parts, and they're pretty! Now time to get to work and continue on. I helped Stan (model A buggy) most of the weekend on his Diamond 609 assembly. Wow, what a job. I was kind of disappointed at the fit of parts for that kind of money. Not to mention installing an ARB air locker in a 9+ case, lots of grinding to do. Anyways, I got my Northwest fab stuff and I'm impressed with it, good looking parts. Heading for the shop to start assembly. Yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa:awesomework:

got the 203 range box together, now tomorrow I need to get the 205 machined out for the larger bearing that the input shaft takes, then continue on.

Attachments

• DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0071.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF0073.jpg
    DSCF0073.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF0074.jpg
    DSCF0074.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 246