• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

More line lock stuff

Pat

I didn't want to jack the other thread, but I'm wanting to know more about line locks also. I read in a build thread that they suck, they don't hold well, and Crash had his rig roll away :eeek:

So whats the deal with them? Not Jamars? What about mico locks? Or brass ball valves :eeek: (like a guy on Pirate did)?

And has anyone used something like this-
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=774&catid=18
to make sure they are holding pressure?

Seems like they could be useful for short term parking in neutral, front and rear digs, etc.

I run the electric Jegs ones. They work great, you can mount them where ever and just run the wires to a switch. I use them all the time: f/r digs, burnouts, parking, they come in handy.

I have used a microloc for years with no issues. works great as a parking brake on trails and when winching (someone else) however I wouldnt ever trust one enough to walk away from the rig on a slope.

I run the electric Jegs ones. They work great, you can mount them where ever and just run the wires to a switch. I use them all the time: f/r digs, burnouts, parking, they come in handy.

Does it ever drain down your battery or how long can you leave them locked?
I looked at the Hurst ones and they claim to be a 15 second hold, for burnouts at the drag strip.

I wouldnt ever trust one enough to walk away from the rig on a slope.

I would like to be able to that, just for a few minutes occasionally with the engine running. Not safe though huh? Time for an auto trans...

I would like to be able to that, just for a few minutes occasionally with the engine running. Not safe though huh? Time for an auto trans...

Hey Pat, I run a Micro lock in the rear of the Sami, and have had really good luck with it-left it for 1/2 hr, and still stalled engine (forgot to realease it when taking off)I took all that e-brake cable crap out my yota axle. Now, I agree, if you develop a hydraulic leak in back, it will not hold, but if you have the guages, you'd know if it holds!!!:awesomework: I think I'm gonna order a set of those, for safety's sake and all....

Hey Pat, I run a Micro lock in the rear of the Sami, and have had really good luck with it-left it for 1/2 hr, and still stalled engine (forgot to realease it when taking off)I took all that e-brake cable crap out my yota axle. Now, I agree, if you develop a hydraulic leak in back, it will not hold, but if you have the guages, you'd know if it holds!!!:awesomework: I think I'm gonna order a set of those, for safety's sake and all....

:cool:

Anyone ever use a Subaru roll control valve? I know Jayson from your club was talking about them but not installed yet.

I am probably just paranoid. I know they have been using the same type I have (mech) for years on heavy equipt. I just always block a tire or point the rig into a tree or stump just to be safe. I wouldnt trust the electric ones for a parking brake just due to the nature of electric things. Using them for digs and wiching should be fine though. The thing I like most about the lineloc is it enables me to start on a hill with no tire spin. I just set the brake and start letting out the clutch in a low gear. When I feel it starting to pull just reach over and pop the brake off and go. It dosent take 3 feet and works just as well as an auto without the problems.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Yeah I'm tired of using all three of my feet to drive. :D

I have three of the Summit generic ones. So far they've worked great. No bleed down, no rolling away heeps, nothing. I don't leave them enguaged for long periods (unless I forget), and I don't think of them as any more than a temporary parking brake. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a hydraulic brake thingy, it's temporary.

I used one fuse for all three locks. If I were to do it again, I'd use at least two fuses, just in case. If one shorts and blows the fuse, bye bye heep.

They don't draw a lot of juice, but I did leave them all on one weekend, on the trailer. Pulled into Reiter the next weekend to find a DEAD battery. So there I am in the parking lot with the tow rig disconnected and jump starting the heep on the trailer :haha:

The thing I like most about the lineloc is it enables me to start on a hill with no tire spin. I just set the brake and start letting out the clutch in a low gear. When I feel it starting to pull just reach over and pop the brake off and go. It dosent take 3 feet and works just as well as an auto without the problems.

You know that if you attend the SUV 101 course they will school you in how to start your vehicle in gear so it won't roll backwards.

Just a thought! :fawkdancesmiley:

I don't like the electric line locks. A couple of years ago there was a Bronco on Kaner that was running to keep the wife warm and he had the line locks on.

His friend had a dead battery half way up a hill, so he pulled the battery out to go jump his friend and the Bronco rolled down a hill with his wife in it.

I don't like the electric line locks. A couple of years ago there was a Bronco on Kaner that was running to keep the wife warm and he had the line locks on.

His friend had a dead battery half way up a hill, so he pulled the battery out to go jump his friend and the Bronco rolled down a hill with his wife in it.

DAMN that sounds like quite the bad idea...:haha: hope she was not hurt.. i have jamar line locks and they are junk:looser: they lasted a few weeks and one day one just froze then a couple weeks later the other froze:eeek: i got one to free up but every time i push one down and hit the brake for some reason it pushes the lock up:rolleyes: .. so i am now looking for good line locks that will work for parking brakes, my jamar locks worked killer when they worked:awesomework:

i use the micro loc, i have left my jeep parked with the lock on for multiple weeks and still stalled the engine it was holding so well. you can also wire them to an alarm/horn so the alarm goes off when pressure is reduced but still holding. mine works so well i have never gone to that extreem.

much more money than a line lock but wayyyyyy better.

with that said, im like pokey i still block a wheel or something if left on a slope.

I have nothing.

Now that I don't compete and don't have to comply to rules and inspection by someone who usually doesn't know what they are looking at.

I run an auto and rarely put it in park(don't want to rely on the parking pin).I always butt my rig up against something or hook a tire on a tree,rock out crop,another rig etc.

Works for me and the few I wheel with.

:awesomework: Hey pat put a finger throttle in your rig works great for me and mark m.!!!!!:awesomework: :awesomework:

My son suggested that to me last year...I had stopped on a hill and was bitching about having to heel/toe, he said use the manual throttle on the shifter. Yes, it worked out OK, need to throttle it up a little more though

:cool:

Anyone ever use a Subaru roll control valve? I know Jayson from your club was talking about them but not installed yet.

Jury's still out on whether this would work---I guess in theory it would, but I'm not sure...