• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mounting a Bender

Mines mounted on a small rolling work bench that my Notchmaster is also mounted too. Works well for a small area. For years It was solid anchor bolted to the ground and I was manual and often I miss doing it that way :****:

In hindsight, I would not purchase a Notchmaster. Its a nice tool but has many limitations. I do have the Swag reach around on it and that helps but Id rather have a rouge fab after seeing my buddies

P said:
In hindsight, I would not purchase a Notchmaster. Its a nice tool but has many limitations. I do have the Swag reach around on it and that helps but Id rather have a rouge fab after seeing my buddies
Good to know, thanks.

I built the very basic vertical stand shown with casters. It was by far worth it, just being able to mange longer pieces of tubing and bend them easily by yourself.
I found that raking the bender slightly forward so that the tubing being pulled in stayed horizontal worked the best. Then you can use a couple of stands to lay the tubing on to feed in.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnpcuvbwsnrcgu8837%3Enu%3D3254%3E25%3B%3E4%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C63%3A78%3B%3B326nu0mrj

Here's my "bending" cart

c807659e3d7141a0b79ffb1def89fef3.jpg

Whole lotta stuff, works as designed, needs bigger casters, heavy sumbitch...

Matt

mcutler said:
Here's my "bending" cart

c807659e3d7141a0b79ffb1def89fef3.jpg

Whole lotta stuff, works as designed, needs bigger casters, heavy sumbitch...

Matt
I like how high you mounted the bender. I'm sure it makes it easier to set up the bends. It sucks I have a low ceiling height.

Re:

Only time it's been a concern is roll bending an entire stick. It's 50" from ground to tube, leaves me 7' to ceiling.

Nice thing about vertical, set it up so when the tube is seated at 0°, the remainder of the stick is level. Can be of a degree or two on die changes, depending on which die you initially set it up for.

Matt

I suppose if I need to bend something bigger, I could roll it into my lift bay. Thanks for posting.

I'm still debating on investing in a roller.

How often will you use it? one project then you're done? Reason I ask, if you're going to do a lot of bends, go straight to electric over hydro setup. I was going to put together the exact setup you are asking about, and started looking into it, and decided to just go electric/hydro. Best decision I made, the air cyl will drive you nuts. I used a friends and it was slow and loud. You can find a reasonable elec hydro pump unit used if your patient and always on the lookout. This is the most expensive part. If you do go with air/Hydro, like others mentioned, go with a roll around stand. Good luck.

I put this together for under $500. The pump unit is a little slow for the ram, but its still plenty fast and easy to not overshoot your bend..something to consider.
20150416_201545.jpg

I used it quite a bit building my exo, but then it sat for quite a while. Now that I've purchased bend-tech pro, I hope to use it a little more. My main problem is, when I buy tube it's a 2 hr trip one way. So when I run out, I'm not exactly excited to get more.
It's air/hydro now and is very slow. I've considered converting over to full hydro and actually almost did from the start.

b1253f9b3e2b1a677d367e3f0c584310.jpg

This is mine. JD2 model 3 with electric hydro setup. It's a 12 volt pump so I can roll it around anywhere in the shop. Battery lasts allot longer than I expected. It had an air ram on it and when we changed it over it will bend a 180 in the same time it used to take to bend a 45.

I've also got the baileigh TN 250 notcher and love it. The tube clamp alone makes it worth it. No matter how you put the tube inn there it will stay centered.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al