• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mounting panels

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
In the past I've just welded on tabs to the tube.

...but how about tapping into the tube? I feel like that is a common practice as well based on pics I've seen. I'd rather just do that, but any proof that it compromises the strength of the tube?

Re: Re: Mounting panels

nhl_bullitt said:
In the past I've just welded on tabs to the tube.

...but how about tapping into the tube? I feel like that is a common practice as well based on pics I've seen. I'd rather just do that, but any proof that it compromises the strength of the tube?
I know off a couple shops that rivet right to the tube. Aesthetically, I'm not particularly a fan, but it works. Can't help you on the strength aspect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I use 10-32 stainless button heads often on panels. Works great just make sure your using some never seize on the SS threads :dblthumb:

Ok, I was asking because mine are welded in the chassis, not something you'd want to do if it was already PC, but I wouldn't do it any other way, let me know if you'd like some close up pics. :dblthumb:

I used nutserts. They were easy and give a clean look.
But I've pulled several out when removing panels. I personally don't think I'd use them again so scratch that off your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not worry about it compromising the strength of the tube, if that is how you want to do it, do it.

617_Racing said:
I used nutserts. They were easy and give a clean look.
But I've pulled several out when removing panels. I personally don't think I'd use them again so scratch that off your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah those things are the devil! :****:

I have and still use nutserts on all my projects... there are over a hundred and counting on the manche (with that many our more on my buggy and countless other units) .... never had a problem with them spinning... even use a 1/4" impact and stainless fasteners on many of them. Only reason I can see then spinning is if the hole was drilled the wrong size or using the wrong grip range insert.

Btw, I use steel inserts, not aluminum. And I have put them in round tubing on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On my blue beater Juggy the panels are attached with 1/4-20 bolts tapped directly into the tube. Not my ideal way of doing it, but I don't think strength-wise it's that big of an issue on a crawler. When I bought it they were riveted directly to the tube but I wanted them removable so I just drilled out the rivets and tapped the holes.

On the single seater I used trick tabs with the threaded insert for the interior panels. The exterior panels use Dzus fasteners.