• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My 1.9 comp car

So one thing I wanted was more caster but I was maxed out of what I could get--and Ted gave me a great idea so I went with it.

I looked over one of the new housing I had and I will be danged if the inner diameter of the housing was roughly 1/4" except where the knuckle screws are.

So I gently removed material from the inside of the housing in that area (its not much).

swa-mini-46.jpg

I took some 1/4" thick wall tubing and its a "perfect" fit. I cut it length wise so it went from the bearing at the diff to flush at the end of the housing. Now inner diameter is a hare too small for the axle shaft to fit so I drilled it out to match the axle shaft thickness where the shaft goes into the diff.

The HARD part was drilling the holes for the screws that hold the C on--had to redo a few tubes to get it right.

swa-mini-47.jpg

So to get the desired caster I just filled down the flat spots on the housing and rotated the c. Once I get it set I drilled holes thru the plastic and then install the tubes and line up the holes.

swa-mini-48.jpg

I had to shorten the screws to 7mm and still had to loosen them to slide the axle past them. But it feels really solid...

swa-mini-49.jpg

swa-mini-50.jpg

swa-mini-51.jpg

So next onto the steering. I had a plan in mind and I gotta say it took some work to get there..

But the one downfall I found with getting the caster where I wanted it and the front drive shaft angle was it shoved the servo horn down. Another thing was with the knuckles turned it was going to be tricky to the the drag link to the knuckle.

So I scrapped my old steering and started working on a new one...

So here is where things started getting interesting...

I got lucky and I was able to re-use my tie rod granted its in a little different spot,lol..

swa-mini-52.jpg

Here is the new servo mount I came up with. If you notice its now 2 pieces. What this design lets me do is now have more flexibility on where the servo mount sits.

swa-mini-53.jpg

swa-mini-54.jpg

And here I am as of tonight

And here it is mounted. I am sure I made it a little too strong--but hey,lol..

swa-mini-55.jpg

And there it is all done. can you say "tight".... But I was able to get everything to fit and the desired caster.

swa-mini-56.jpg

I also notched the C's to get the most out of the steering..

swa-mini-57.jpg

So I ran it and I did not notice any steering effort loss. I am going to have to order some new C's though as these are not going to last..

But I think it will help a little..

swa-mini-58.jpg