• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Buggy Build

Thanks guys. The notcher is from Rogue Fab and works well....about to get some more use out of it this week.
The plans worked out well. The only thing you have to figure out is the amount tubing that will be used in the bend. The plans are designed for a 5.5" CLR die and the one we had for the 1.75" is 6.5". Within the plans, there is a chart that will help with that.
Got the winch mount cut out and in place today. Going to be picking up some tube insert clevis mounts to go into the end of the frame rails.

Brian

Been plugging away when I get time..
IMG_20140129_234547_373_zpszkawhomp.jpg

IMG_20140128_240527_095_zpsdtdnx86q.jpg

IMG_20140201_171258_571_zpsbfon434y.jpg

Its tight everywhere!
IMG_20140201_171315_192_zpspp23cn9t.jpg

Grab handle
IMG_20140201_171419_201_zpsqmzzo1te.jpg

Dash and shifter mounting.
IMG_20140205_234820_381_zpsvawg5b10.jpg

Got some more parts coming in this week
..ordered a bunch of exhaust parts to build it from the motor to the back. The block huggers I have were going to be a PITA to use and wouldn't really turn out like I wanted. Should be an interesting project. Also got my converter ordered today from PTC and it will be next week.

Brian

yes, I have been working on the headers. Huge pain in the ass.....but I expected it. So far, each primary is within 1/2 to 3/4". Still a quite a bit of work left in them, but they should look nice once they are done and coated.

This is from the other night....almost got that side done, but that one 90 wouldnt quite work like I wanted, so I called it quits....it was 0130 in the morning...lol

Finished it up this morning

Started the driver side as well. Trying to keep it somewhat symmetrical to the other side, but is kinda tough since the motor is off set a little bit....should look close to the same.

oh ya, this little jewel showed up this week as well....

10" non-lockup converter from PTC....stall should be around 22-2500. I have a big cooler, so heat shouldnt be a concern.

My plans for the rest of the exhaust changed since I decided to build the headers. I am going to get rid of the big 6" round magnaflow for something a little more compact. I will also be running duals, instead of a Y pipe into single 3" pipe/muffler.

Brian

Looks good! So building headers brings the suck? I gotta build mine on my Toyota truggy LS powered thinga ma jig. NO way exhaust is gona fit inside the frame rails with link mounts and driveshafts and starters. I dread doing it!

ya, there are some updates, but not as much as I would like. The shop has been busy lately, especially the last few weeks before Jeep Beach.

I decided to ditch the truck intake for a little more room and a cleaner look. LS6 fit the bill pretty well. I also decided to go with flow through fuel rails, instead of the factory style.

Old

new

As you can also see, I got the flanges installed on the hood tubes,

One of the headers is all tig'ed up and of course ran out of tig rod.....so the next one will be done once we make a run to the welding supply store

Also got my cable shifters all hooked up..

rear upper links boxed in

and most recently, started working on the floor. At this point, I am only laying it out with card board.

Brian

I have not personally ran that muffler, but have heard it before and I do like the sound. Its definitely not a race muffler, but when you hammer on it, you will know it. Thanks for the props, I have tried to make this my own, taking some cues from other builds I have been watching. It has been fun, but definitely ready to be done and out using it!

Brian

yes, I can reach everything no problem. Only thing I might not be able to reach is the main battery disconnect...but I havent put it in yet.
Finally got a chance to do some work on the buggy...the floor is coming together better than I thought it would. My only dislike about it is, the multiple pieces on each side of the trans/tcase. I should have built my seat mounts different, but to late for that now.....but I see a benefit of it as well...being able to access areas under the floor without taking the whole interior out. Definitely learning alot on this entire build.

I really dig the lines, especially how the hood area is coming together. I've been looking at the same triple shifter you went with. Does it shift smoothly with the cables looped that tight? I know they have a min. radius that they can operate with, just curious how they work like you have them. Mine would be routed similarly.

I was able to get a little more accomplished last week, not as much as I would like, but trying to figure out footwell layout is very time consuming. Driver side header is welded out and installed as well. I also got some parts in from JEGS this week......Comp 918 valve springs, decided to upgrade the LS6 springs I have since I am not sure what year they are and they have been know to break with stock LS6 cams with higher mileage and my new cam has .558/.563 lift...definitely dont need to drop a valve! Also picked up a new regulator for the fuel system since I am not using any of the factory return stuff and decided I am going to try the Lizard Skin ceramic insulation on the backside of my panels to hopefully block some heat from the exhaust. The headers will also be ceramic coated...

I wont be able to work on it for the next couple of weeks, since I will be out playing Army.....Good times for sure!

Brian

WOW....been a few days since I have updated this thread! A lot has changed since July. My wife started a new job that is close to where I am working, so we decided we need to move so both of us dont have to drive 60 miles one way to work. Another development is my wife and I are expecting our second child and recently found out it is going to be a BOY! :woot: :woot: Both of us were pretty pumped once we saw the sonogram.
Also our shop has been pretty busy with customers rigs, so progress was slowed on mine a bit so we could get them out. I have recently been back on it and making some good progress, but the interior stuff is slow since it is pretty new to me.

:woot: :driving:

Brian