• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My chevy, my chevy, my chevy

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
So Easter Sunday i pull the truck into the shop to do a quick rear pinion seal job. The rear end has been making noise for a few weeks and I figure the pinion preload needs adjusted and a new seal is in order.

Instead of a 1 hour job, I find all sorts of naughty bits from the gov lock inside. Bearings are toast, carrier guts need replaced, etc.

Go to Randys Ring and Pinion to buy parts and they have a grizzly "scratch and dent" on the shelf for a steal. I check it out and it looks good.

Anyone towed with a full locker before? :redneck:

So Easter Sunday i pull the truck into the shop to do a quick rear pinion seal job. The rear end has been making noise for a few weeks and I figure the pinion preload needs adjusted and a new seal is in order.

Instead of a 1 hour job, I find all sorts of naughty bits from the gov lock inside. Bearings are toast, carrier guts need replaced, etc.

Go to Randys Ring and Pinion to buy parts and they have a grizzly "scratch and dent" on the shelf for a steal. I check it out and it looks good.

Anyone towed with a full locker before? :redneck:

I never had any problems with a Detroit in my old F150 while towing. My old boss put thousands of miles on his F250 with a Detroit towing a 30ish foot camp trailer. I towed a tent trailer a few tiles with the Runner with the welded rear end. :redneck:

Used to own a 79 3/4T Chev 4x4 with a Detroit out back, and really didn't notice any ill manners, save for the occasional unloading while in corners....Only did it when empty, never while towing.

I would stay away from any locker except a selectable for the loads you haul and tow with your pickup. My buddy ran a detroit in his dodge for about a month and hated it.:beer:

79 Suburban mild 350 4spd, detroit rear. Towed a 743 Bobcat twice a year
It was frightening on compact snow/ice with the trailer, didn't really notice otherwise, trailer or not

All done with the install.

Drives a bit different. Kind of like it has a full locker in it. Not bad, just different. Definitely decreased the turning radius. :rolleyes:

So, it went from a full city block to a country block to turn?

Or you no longer use it for trips to the mall on the weekends?

The turning radius went from tuna boat to aircraft carrier.

Used it a bit on the wet roads today with the camper in the bed.

I like it. :awesomework:

After a few trips with the locker I am happy with it so far.

No ill manners on the road, you don't even notice it unless you are in "stop and go" traffic. It takes a minute for the locker to start driving, so to speak. (Ie it kind of "clunks" from coast to drive in stop and go traffic) as any auto locker would. Not bad, just different.

Snowy Montana roads, it pushed the front tires in town. A quick push of the 4wd button solved that problem.

In the dunes this weekend it wanted to push the front tires even in 4wd. You really had to give it some go pedal to get the truck to turn. I wasn't out braffin the truck, I was towing my load to our camp site, but it pushed the front end around quite a bit in the loose sand. I didn't get stuck but there were a few times I had to rock the truck to make the turn I wanted. Without the trailer hooked up and just the camper in the bed the truck did great in the sand.

I'm impressed so far no ill on road manners, and it works towing off road. :awesomework:

I have an '83 chevy 1 ton with a built 454 that has a detroit. I love it. Tows good, especially in the hills. I almost get nervous driving a truck with out a locker since all my rigs are locked.

After driving the truck around empty for a while you can definitely tell you have a locker back there.

With a full load in the bed or while towing it really has no ill manners. Empty it does the "detroit bang" once in a while and in stop and go traffic it hesitates a bit due to the backlash in the locker. That can get annoying as you have to roll into the throttle to keep it from happening.

Coming out of the Monroe fairgrounds there is a big S curve. I wanted to get out into traffic on RT2 and the more throttle I applied it just wasn't moving. Both side gears had unlocked during the S curve. When they finally engaged, I was off like a scalded dog. All tire smoke and fury. :redneck:

It's not bad, just different.

Oh and smoky burnouts are way more fun now. :awesomework:

Last edited:
After driving the truck around empty for a while you can definitely tell you have a locker back there.

With a full load in the bed or while towing it really has no ill manners. Empty it does the "detroit bang" once in a while and in stop and go traffic it hesitates a bit due to the backlash in the locker. That can get annoying as you have to roll into the throttle to keep it from happening.

Coming out of the Monroe fairgrounds there is a big S curve. I wanted to get out into traffic on RT2 and the more throttle I applied it just wasn't moving. Both side gears had unlocked during the S curve. When they finally engaged, I was off like a scalded dog. All tire smoke and fury. :redneck:

It's not bad, just different.

Oh and smoky burnouts are way more fun now. :awesomework:

Video or it didnt happen:fawkdancesmiley: