• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My first projects for the CJ-5

wrecker1

Well this thread is to share what I am doing with my new toy.
First thing on the list was to replace the front brake lines, that were neglected when a Vancouver, WA 4WD shop installed a SkyJacker 4" lift and extended shackles. (I'd think they would know the stock ones weren't long enough. :wtf: )
NEWPICS024.jpg

After looking online, I ended up getting some custom ones built at a local logging outfitter/supplier.

NEWPICS025.jpg

Had them made 6" longer than stock and now, no more worries about the front brake lines!

NEWPICS023.jpg

Next thing on the list was to do something about the tires rubbing on the front fenders.
I've never hacked on a truck (that I liked), so this was a little intimidating. I figured that if I messed up too bad, I could always tube the fronts! :haha: I wanted to keep the flares, for no other reason than to hide the cuts (or my mistakes). this pic shows the front already raised to pull the wheel, It doesn't really have that much clearance! :haha:

NEWPICS033.jpg

Turned out not too bad. The wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out to her! :beer:
NEWPICS031.jpg

NEWPICS036.jpg

Next is the rear tires. and the list goes on......

NEWPICS034.jpg

well I dont want to critisize but personally I would do a reverse shackle or move the front mounts forward before cutting the fenders. WIth a cj5 you will end up wanting alot more wheelbase anyway. I would do alot more research for best use and performance before getting out any more saws. If you like the look a tj flare will make your wheel openings much bigger and hide the trimming. If you want to look at what one done right looks like there is a blue cj5 on the post your rigs thread in 4x4talk It is on page 4. It looks nice with tj flares. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask before you do a mod next time. I will answer any questions you have. My first rig was a 74 cj5 and I started about where you are. When I sold it , it was d44f/r 350 th350 dana 20 locked all around, caged, and wheelbase was extended without a comp cut to 90in. Good luck.

to beat the fender rub on my 74, I extended the frame and moved the front axle about 4", and did a shackle reversal.

I get full extension and compression without and rubbing of the wheel openings.

of course I now am running 33 inch swampers, but I used to have 35's on it when I did all the mods.

I like the way it drives and trails so much better.

Lookin good Mike. Yes, you should ask questions here first before doing mods. These guys are cool when it comes to mods on their rigs.

well, it already has a shackle reversal on it, and I don't want to lengthen the wheelbase. I bought it cause I like the short wheelbase. The wife and I went back and forth for years about what to get, since she can't even get in a flattie on the driver's side (too tall). I finally won against getting a CJ-7, so I sure ain't gunna stretch this thing out. For the trials we will do, the mods I do will be just fine. Not everyone is all about hardcore stuff, especially with an 18 month old in the truck.

Sorry if I sound ungrateful, but this ain't my first Jeep. Just the first one I'll be able to modify.

well, it already has a shackle reversal on it, and I don't want to lengthen the wheelbase. I bought it cause I like the short wheelbase. The wife and I went back and forth for years about what to get, since she can't even get in a flattie on the driver's side (too tall). I finally won against getting a CJ-7, so I sure ain't gunna stretch this thing out. For the trials we will do, the mods I do will be just fine. Not everyone is all about hardcore stuff, especially with an 18 month old in the truck.

Sorry if I sound ungrateful, but this ain't my first Jeep. Just the first one I'll be able to modify.

Oh Hell yea:cheer: I like this guy:redneck: You do need to extend those front bump stops down so you dont reverse your springs. They should hit the stops before the shocks bottom out

Last edited:

thats cool man, to each his own. It will work great for most of the trails around here and they did your reverse shackle wrong if the front axle isnt moved forward at least 2inches. that is why you are hitting the fenders with your tires. But again to each his own, just as long as its what you want and have fun with. I saw your video and it does sound good.

are you thinking on converting over to disk brakes??? It made a huge difference on mine when I did.

Now I convert all my cj's (made the maint. much easier when out in the mud)

TJ flares are a good way to create some space... i'd say tube fenders/TJ flares on the rear

my '74 with TJ flares F/R before the tube fenders

S3700122.jpg

Last edited: