• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Harlan trip 8-10-08

vanguard

That rock walker guy
Redemption! Last weekend I went to Harlan with the Hardline crew but it didn't go exactly as I hoped it would. Between the magnet loose in the housing, the broken rear axle shaft, and the disassembled e-locker I spent as much time wrenching as I did wheeling. This weekend was the polar opposite, we ran all over Harlan and nobody has any serious issues.

The biggest deal for me was cream puff. You have to understand this trail in my mind, it's huge. When I first learned of it the aura started in that only three people had run it and nobody is a cab truck had ever run it. (To my knowledge that's still true, only buggies have made it up.) Jake Mitchel gave it a try but he broke and rolled down (and ran over his father in the process.) Dave Reese ran it but when he gave it a second tried he rolled badly. (Some of you were there) When I first bought my buggy a few years ago one of the motivations was to someday run cream puff. A couple of times I intended to hit it but I didn't want to go straight for it and break. Instead I broke on other stuff before I got the chance. One trip I actually looked at it from the top and decided I couldn't make it. Finally, because I often run with first gen toyotas it's no like anybody else is running it. They have to make a special diversion for me.

On Friday I pulled up on it when nobody was around just to get a feel for it. I learned the way it throws you into the right bank and just got a feel for it. I also got a feel for what kind of bump different sections of the cliff needed. I didn't intend to run it, I just wanted to feel it out and I did. On Saturday around 1:00 it was time. We had run just about the entire park (that we know of) and I was having a perfect weekend. Off to cream puff we went. Based on scouting the trail I thought the rocky cliff section would be the hard part, I honestly thought I could get my tacoma up the top section. When I made short work of the cliff I thought I was home free. Nope. I spent the next 5-8 minutes with full throttle assaults bouncing off the rev limiter trying to get past the top section. It was steep with a layer of wet dirt on top of smooth rock. It was like grease on glass to walk on but I eventually made it up. I felt like I had just won a championship game, I had literally spent years thinking about this trail. Next time I'm there I'm going to run it again but that time I'll do it easier.

Now for a few pics:

First gens don't have the approach angle of a buggy so the line on mason jar sometimes involves exiting to the left. The point on that rock might be 8' in the air.
th_harlantakeover158.jpg

This is my normal crew:
harlantakeover089.jpg

These first gens do great on lion's den. Kyle ran the entire thing without pushing in the clutch a single time. We got all 5 rigs through in about 15 minutes.
harlantakeover094.jpg

This monster was on its first shakedown run and it did great all weekend. I was pretty skeptical about 42" TSLs on toyota axles but he crawled everything, He ran lower damnation with no wheel spin. Big ties and a fairly light rig go a long way.
harlantakeover100.jpg

This is me on lions den:
harlantakeover120.jpg

My friend Shawn has my favorite off road license plate:
harlantakeover139.jpg

For some reason I just love this truck. It has character:
harlantakeover149.jpg

This guy did great all weekend. He crawled this too:
harlantakeover170.jpg

Normally I bounce right up this line on mason jar but I struggled this time, I think it's more undercut. Eventually I drifted over to this corner and gave it a bump that would make a mud devil proud. It got right up:
harlantakeover161.jpg

Robert rolled here. We all kind of rush to help him because he's partly paralyzed (motorcycle accident) and it's just good to get there quickly. In seconds his wife had climbed out of the window and was trying to pull the truck down.
harlantakeover175.jpg

Everything worked out fine. He rolls every trip:
harlantakeover176.jpg

Jamie played on cream puff but he didn't get that far:
harlantakeover186.jpg

Jamie made lower damnation just fine:
harlantakeover053.jpg

Nice to hear you had a great weekend. I know I have asked before, but is your buggy all Toyota drivetrain? 3.4, 5 speed, duals?

I could have made it but it was Friday morning and I had not breaking before cream puff on my mind. All the other ledges went pretty smoothly:
harlantakeover068.jpg

Kyle did this on the last ledge of lower damnation three times:
harlantakeover078.jpg

Jake Mitchel has a new buggy. It has a built 304 (Jeep V8I think) with Nitrous. I happy to say he was cool every time we ran into him. I think he's aging well.
harlantakeover083.jpg

harlantakeover087.jpg

I have one more video of Shawn running Mason Jar. He had to stack because of his approach angle but he did pretty well given the rig he was working with. I'll post the link when it's up on youtube. (Uploading now)
edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-KHqlNjFzk

I had heard a bunch about Cream Puff but I did not think it was as bad as other trails out there. I thought Jagger and Pony Hill were both a good bit harder. I remember Puff having a huge bolder right before the top, them taking it out makes it much more doable. Glad you made it up though, it is good to finally make a trail that you have wanted for a while. Cream Puff does require a good bit of momentum, to make it up the first section of ledges I needed a first gear full throttle run and shifted to 2nd when I got in it. It is more fun at night :flipoff1:

I almost made little jager a while ago but I broke near the top as I saved it from rolling. Little jager, pony hill, and this one line at DPG are on my todo list but cream puff is probably the first trail I've run that I think of as one of the hard ones.

I also ran all over white tail and took just about every line. It's not even that hard but it was nice to even up the score because that's where I broke last weekend.

Travis said:
Oh, its Jake. Glad to see him back on the trails. ::)
So I take it he's your riding buddy laughing1

Looks like a good time, Im ready to go back to Harlan and its only been a week drool

P said:
So I take it he's your riding buddy laughing1
Jake has been known to drink too much and raise hell on the trails. He hasn't wheeled for a few years so I was hoping we'd see a more grown up version of him. Based on last weekend he's settled down. Heck, if that's the new Jake I don't see why anybody would have problems with him anymore. I'm hoping it's not just a one time thing. :dunno:

He was also pretty gentle with his rig on the shakedown run. I hoping that is a one time thing.

Bones said:
Nice to hear you had a great weekend. I know I have asked before, but is your buggy all Toyota drivetrain? 3.4, 5 speed, duals?
I just noticed this post.

Slightly worked jeep 4.0 motor (bored out, free flow exhaust/intake, high compression head)
Dana 300 4:1 and HD output
FJ80 hi-pinion front e-locked (longfields)
Diamond rear with FJ80 9.5" third, poly cromo shafts, e-locked
TF999 auto tranny
linked, air shocks, etc.

vanguard said:
I just noticed this post.

Slightly worked jeep 4.0 motor (bored out, free flow exhaust/intake, high compression head)
Dana 300 4:1 and HD output
FJ80 hi-pinion front e-locked (longfields)
Diamond rear with FJ80 9.5" third, poly cromo shafts, e-locked
TF999 auto tranny
linked, air shocks, etc.
Gotcha. Unique combo. I dig it with a shovel