• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need Help Deciding on tires.... Bias-Ply Vs Radial

StukPig

I've got an 86 Toyota that will primarily be used as my wheelin rig but will also be used as a "3rd" vehicle. I don't plan on driving on the road all the time, but it will have it's uses for me on road. Once I get the SAS done, I am either going to run 35's, 36's, or 37's depending on the tire I decide on. I also plan on driving my vehicle to and from the wheelin location.

I have heard that bias ply tires are far better for offroad driving than radials, but from what I have heard about their handling onroad concerns me. The radial tires I am interested in is the Cooper SST (SSC? cannot remember letters), BF Goodrich MT MK2, Super Swamper SSR, or Mickey Thompson MTZ. All those tires have 3-ply sidewalls and anywhere between 6 and 8-ply treads. I don't know much about the different bias ply tires out there so I am not even sure which ones besides TSL's are good tires.

What I am looking for is a tire that will give pretty good on-road characteristics as well as optimal offroad handling. Let me know what you think.

I've got an 86 Toyota that will primarily be used as my wheelin rig but will also be used as a "3rd" vehicle. I don't plan on driving on the road all the time, but it will have it's uses for me on road. Once I get the SAS done, I am either going to run 35's, 36's, or 37's depending on the tire I decide on. I also plan on driving my vehicle to and from the wheelin location.

I have heard that bias ply tires are far better for offroad driving than radials, but from what I have heard about their handling onroad concerns me. The radial tires I am interested in is the Cooper SST (SSC? cannot remember letters), BF Goodrich MT MK2, Super Swamper SSR, or Mickey Thompson MTZ. All those tires have 3-ply sidewalls and anywhere between 6 and 8-ply treads. I don't know much about the different bias ply tires out there so I am not even sure which ones besides TSL's are good tires.

What I am looking for is a tire that will give pretty good on-road characteristics as well as optimal offroad handling. Let me know what you think.
First you got to decide are you going to play on the rocks or in the mud. then the bigger the tire the more it cost. I would go with 35s or 36. I run Iroks and they do good. Bias or radial, I also have ran both. the set I am running now. the reason I got them is a craigs list deal that I couldn't pass up

If it was me I would stay away from a radial... they will encounter sidewall failure much easier than a bias ply more so with lower air pressure. Bias on the street needs the normal warmup to get round then they are fine.

I've had bias tires on the street and they seem to handle fine, I'd be more concerned about premature tire ware and their not cheap. I used to run SSR's when I had a streetable 4x and I loved them. Great all around tire with good traction. I don't think you can go wrong with any super swamper, except thornbirds of coarse.

I've had bias tires on the street and they seem to handle fine, I'd be more concerned about premature tire ware and their not cheap. I used to run SSR's when I had a streetable 4x and I loved them. Great all around tire with good traction. I don't think you can go wrong with any super swamper, except thornbirds of coarse.

So are you saying radials or bias? SSR=supper swamper radials TSL

For a rig with limited road miles I'd go with a TSL/SX, Irok or Pitbull Rocker. All are bias and will be a tough tire offroad and can be had in the sizes you're looking for

the old tsl radials were alright, but the new ones are junk, my buddy is running a set of 36's compared to my 37in M16's there is no comparison, if you are going to run a radial i would look into the super swamper M-16 or MTR's,hell the new KM2's seam to be a great tire to, if it's just a wheeler though i would go with a bias ply, pitbull rockers look pretty tough:cool:

If it was me I would stay away from a radial... they will encounter sidewall failure much easier than a bias ply more so with lower air pressure. Bias on the street needs the normal warmup to get round then they are fine.

What he said! I'm pulling my Swamper TSLs off ASAP, 5 sidewall blows in 3 years:rolleyes:. Les Schwab took care of me on 4.

Last edited:
I LOVE my ProComp XTerrain's in a radial. They work great on and offroad, have had NO sidewall issues, and they get around great (after I grooved them)! Mine are 35's... and my only complaint is that I wish they were bigger.

I want something in the 38-40" range.

Regarding the terrain I plan on traveling, I really want a good all around rig. Something that can handle trails full of mud, snow, rocks, pretty much anything. I want my rig to be good at everything but if thats the case it won't be the best at any one thing.

If this was going to be a pure offroad vehicle, I would definitely run bias-ply tires. However, since I plan on driving this vehicle to and from the wheelin spots as well as maybe 10-20% of my onroad driving. Given the street conditions we experience here in Washington and the relatively lightweight rig I have, I am concerned at how the bias-ply will do at freeway speeds, in the rain, icy condidtions, and even hot summer driving. Also, how well do bias-ply tires wear regarding life expectancy?

So are you saying radials or bias? SSR=supper swamper radials TSL

I wasn't leaning in any given direction. Just thought I'd throw in my expierence. And ya, SSR are a radial and I loved mine. I drove to ORV parks without concern and wheeled with, what I thought at the time, great traction.

If you go bias i don't think you can go wrong with an Irok and I'm sure few would disagree. My friend has Bias Irok's on his truck and almost only uses it as a pavement pounder, with atleast 20psi. That tire pressure means that his contact patch is only down the center of the tire. 20psi in most other tires would look low. Seems like a waste of an expensive tire but I have to admit, they're holding up pretty well so far and not wareing out down the center.

hmmmm, i guess i vote bias. I'd rather have good traction off road than better millage out of my tires

bias ply!!!
radial sidewalls will not hold up to the bouncing,and hitting they take off road.
i ran boggers on the street for two years. the only thing you will notice is the bias ply will take a minute to smoooth out,after sitting for periods.. you wont notice the differnce as far as street handling. just remember no oversized tire is for high speed driving or cornering.

MTR's

Cannot go wrong with a 37-40in MTR radial:awesomework: Great offroad and great on-road. Super strong sidewall!

Although, I am looking for a set of 38in Bias TSL-SX's :eeek:

If you get bias ply tires, make sure that you air them back up before you drive it on the road. Internal friction will cause the cords and belts to heat up, and destroy the tire. Probably the biggest advantage to a radial is that it doesn't overheat like a bias.

Regarding the terrain I plan on traveling, I really want a good all around rig. Something that can handle trails full of mud, snow, rocks, pretty much anything. I want my rig to be good at everything but if thats the case it won't be the best at any one thing.

If this was going to be a pure offroad vehicle, I would definitely run bias-ply tires. However, since I plan on driving this vehicle to and from the wheelin spots as well as maybe 10-20% of my onroad driving. Given the street conditions we experience here in Washington and the relatively lightweight rig I have, I am concerned at how the bias-ply will do at freeway speeds, in the rain, icy condidtions, and even hot summer driving. Also, how well do bias-ply tires wear regarding life expectancy?

Bias tires do not 'handle' as well as a radial IMO(based on personal experience), sounds like a radial would better suit your needs, and I don't think you can go wrong with the KM2 or the MTR (I myself prefer the KM2...) in the 35-37" range...:awesomework: