• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need opinions on opening sum of my land to hardline members to ride

Cotton12v

Got sum land that would be great for riding. Pretty rough lots of steep hills washouts and woods.
Located in central ky about 40 mins south of lexington just north of Lancaster ky. Wondering about the liability side of it more than anything.
Trails would need to be cut in. Was thinking it would be a good way to meet some of you, and may be a good alternative to having to pay to ride somewhere. Theres plenty of parking for trailers, tents and campers. Any opinions ideas or intrest let me know. The area is about 70 acres +or-

I believe you should be able to contact someone at the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association and speak to them about the ins and outs of the insurance world and who they might recommend getting in contact with for good rates and such. If it were mine...I wouldn't let the first rig touch it until I was covered.

Great to hear you're willing to open it up for this purpose...and just wish we had more people willing to do the same!

couldn't you also have them sign a waiver before they ride showing they are out there at their own risk and you are in no way responsible if injury happens

Looking into the waiver. As I am trying to keep cost down because it will have zero return. Looking into an umbrella policy also. Keep the ideas coming ill figure something out eventually.

Re: Re: Re: Need opinions on opening sum of my land to hardline members to ride

ibrokeit said:
Ive always been told that any lawyer will tell you that a waiver isn't worth the piece of paper its printed on.
Yup....stupid people ruin it for everyone as usual.

Re:

Waivers do not hold up in court, unless written up by a real good lawyer. Good insurance is the only way to go.

Isn't there away you could sell individual memberships to the land and have it set up as a lease. If you get hurt it's hard to sue yourself on your leased land.( Don't hate on me to bad it's just thought) :dunno:

Talk to Tom owner of AOP he will enlighten you on your responsibility's of owning a off road park

Re:

In Kentucky you can let the state run your land as a recreation area (like Harlan) and you don't have to pay land taxes (that is a very abbreviated version of what I'm talking about, I've posted links to the info about that in the past, I'll see if I can find it)

Definitely talk to some park owners. I would think most would be willing to talk with you about their experiences.

Hope it works out, looks like I'm about 2 hrs from ya. We're always looking for new places to ride.

I've got a good insurance lady, but not sure if she has any experience in the off-road world. Be happy to give you here number if you want it. I'm just across the lake from you in Burgin. If you need any help cutting trails or getting things off the ground I would love to help just to get a place to ride locally. Our group has experience cutting trails too. We've cut trails at Harlan, Dirty Turtle, and Rush offroad.

June dog said:
Isn't there away you could sell individual memberships to the land and have it set up as a lease. If you get hurt it's hard to sue yourself on your leased land.( Don't hate on me to bad it's just thought) :dunno:

I'm with this guy. Sell a "annual lease" like Windrock and Harlan sell yearly passes.

I know a guy that looked in to this pretty good a few years ago, I'm not to far from you either about a hr. I'll find out the KRS ...... blaaa blaaa and let you know. I'm also in to help out. :****: thumb.gif

Krs.411.190 I think

Kentucky law if your not charging.. but hey I'm no attorney :****: just something my buddy showed me so take it for what it's worth lol hopefully a start :dblthumb:

Reminds me of the old mountainside thread.m no zero liability solution was ever found in Alabama. It even went to the point where everyone was going to buy a share of the land and form an llc.

June dog said:

When Piney Grove Offroad first opened up (outside of Somerset, KY) they were doing something similar. One of those guys might be able to chime in & give you the details....

poolman said:
Krs.411.190 I think

Kentucky law if your not charging.. but hey I'm no attorney :****: just something my buddy showed me so take it for what it's worth lol hopefully a start :dblthumb:

I'd get a lawyer to look over this, but yep, it looks like if you want to have "open" land that you can forgo any/all liability for the people using the land... As long as you don't charge people.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=17787

Tanner_myers10 said:
When Piney Grove Offroad first opened up (outside of Somerset, KY) they were doing something similar. One of those guys might be able to chime in & give you the details....
That's what I was thinking ,I keeps the land private property and you can keep it posted no trespassing. As long as your not holding events I think you can get around the insurance. Some concept as leasing land to hunt on.

No events no charge.. ive had the land for about 6 years bought it for this use and am wanting more people to have a different place to ride that might be closer for some than offroad parks. We started cutting trails then my wife got into auburn for the veterinarian program so I had to leave, and it sat for 4 years now were back.