• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need recommendation on a low-profile Electric Fan

mark

I'm looking for an electric fan. Needs to be under 3" deep, 2-1/2" would be even better. I have about 21" x 21" surface area to work with.

Anyone got any ideas? Hopefully something I can pick up at a local parts house, and better yet on the cheap end. Not looking for anything I can wheel Naches all day in 90

Anyone use a Hayden. Looks like I can get them pretty readily at O'reilly's. I'd like to use the $70 one, but the thickness is 4", they have there "ultra" 17" at only 2.6" deep, might be the way to go, I just didn't want to spend $150..... but that's cheaper than a radiator... :D

Atleast that's what I found on their web site. I need to call them, Autozone and Napa this morning and see if they offer anything else.

You'l never keep it cool for a ''2good hour race'' with a cheapo aftermarket fan.....10 or 15 minutes maybe...
True.

The Taurus fan kicked ass when I had it in there on the last truck. That will be the route I intend eventually, but I have to re-configure the front of the truck to fit it in. The bent frame pushing everything out of alignment isn't helping any either.

Right now I just need something to get through the next race or two. Actually the mechanical fan worked great, but 2 radiators between 3 races (and all by freak accidents, not the typical radiator eating episodes) has me gun shy.

I had a Schucks special Hayden, but it was on my daily driver at the time. 99 Ranger, 3.0 v6. Worked great even on hot days driving around town, sitting in rush hour traffic. Worked great when I had the truck in the dunes.

Granted none of that was racing but just my 2 cents on the Haydens.

The only issue I have had with my spal is it likes to eat relays...

The 35ish amps on start up and 28ish continuous cooks relays after about 20 days or use or so. Right now I have a sticky 70amp continous relay.....

Only time I have had issues with it not keeping up is at about 4500 ft elevation pulling hard up a hill for 20 plus mins at about 4500 rpm. Service road boogie speeds.

The fan is the only sorce of air movement thru my engine bay. The winch and bumper block most of the air flow and its really tight, the fan motor actually over hangs my crank pulley and its tucked inbetween my belts.

The spal has been great! The other nice thing is they have good diagrams available for their fans. Get some tooth picks and a tape measure and you can lay out the fan on the back side of the radiator and see what will fit. I run a 14 inch because the 16 would not fit.

Derale makes a few that are High Current/Static Pressure which are also 3" or narrower.

But they're not as cheap as the stuff at the local auto store.

Well ****! You're right I just checked Oreilly's DC and they're out. I bought one and it was in the store, killed it by stuffing the wp into it, got another one within 2hrs from the DC. Must be switching brands or something at Oreilly.

They're in stock at Summit but you're still looking at a few days out. :mad:

Well, thanks to the negro connection (binder), I now and electric fan in the front of my rig so hopefully I won't kill another radiator with the mechanical fan. Not a perfect fit, but I was able to squeeze the one he had in. Should be good enough for the next race or two. Its only a single speed, and a "cheap" (we think), but sould be better than nothing.

On the way to his place I stopped by the pick-n-pull... probably been 2-3 years since I've been there. Yanked out two of the more common style of Taurus fans (they had quite a few). Seems the one I have that I've used before is a weird raration that actually sits angled to the shroud. Still kicks ass, but weird to fit. The new ones are too thick to fit as my rig is currently laid out, but for about $32 ea. out the door you can't beat them. I'll be reconfiguring thing in the near future to fit one of them in.

Anyone see an issue with just zip-tying it through the radiator? Oil coolers are done that way and no one seems to think twice. This fan is actually pretty light. Zip ties were the easiest way, as it sits in there there is really no good way to build a simple bracket to hold it in and have it still fit.

Anyone tried it and had it fail? Its only got to work for 1 or 2 events.....

Glad it works for you Mark. I had that fan zip tied onto my aluminum radiator for several years with no issue so it should be OK. I would just use several ties to distribute the load.
Good luck racing Sunday!:awesomework: