• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need shafts for rear 44

woodsrat

So I busted a short side shaft in my old dana 44 rear end and am thinking about getting some custom shafts made up instead of just using stock parts. Since I'm not up on things like I used to be where is a good place to go to get some made and what is the best material to use. I want these to be the best I can put in to avoid breaking again.

Dutchman.

If its a stock rear axle, you can just call them, tell them what it is, what you want and open your pocket book.

Off the shelf I've seen that Ten-factory (used to be alloy USA, well note really, but picked up the product quality and reputation that the Alloy USA's had), or Nitro Gear I think makes a Alloy rear shaft for a few applications, rumor mill its they aren't bad.

Dutchman is close (Portland) and they use blank forgings from superior. Choice of 1541 or 4340 IIRC. Like mark said if it's a factory application someone may have off the shelf stuff...call around.

funny,
I was just checking this exact same thing for a buddy of mine. He busted a long side rear shaft last weekend.

to get custom ones made from dutchamn is expensive. becasue the long side is an extra long blank. and is 50 bucks more. They quoted me 470 for alloy axles, bearings seals.. etc etc. for an offset D44 rear axle set.

to get custom ones made from dutchamn is expensive. becasue the long side is an extra long blank. and is 50 bucks more. They quoted me 470 for alloy axles, bearings seals.. etc etc. for an offset D44 rear axle set.

$470 is considered expensive for custom alloy shafts including bearings and seals? Sounds pretty reasonable to me. :fawkdancesmiley:

Biggest issue the OP hasn't filled us in on is whether or not it's a factory (e.g. scout, early CJ, waggy) axle that will take off the shelf replacements (OEM or aftermarket) or a custom cut/length axle that needs a custom shaft to go with it.

Prices will vary accordingly.

I have a front and rear 44 sitting in my shop. I am not sure what width they are but I can measure if you are interested. $50 for the entire setup if you want them for spares. :stirpot:

X2! He should change his user name to Damncheapy:haha:

compared to every other D44's out there its expensive, thats my point.

buddy got 8.8 dutchmans for 360
i go my curries for 9" for 450 (they wer 400 from dutchman)

just saying compared to others.. it is expensive.

besides, you seen my rig.. im as cheap as they come.. exept maybe chop shop.

Thanks guys. The rearend is what the old timers used for a little more width than the stock offset 44. I can't remember for sure but I believe it is a wagoneer short side and the long side is out of a ford truck or somthing.

Latest posts