• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

need some advice on whether or not to get air shocks for my rig

rrcolvin1

I would like to have some advice from those in the know if I should invest in air shocks for my rig or would I be better off keeping what I got. I would love to have coilovers but that is not in the cards anytime soon. I have coil and shock setup now and I do not have any problems with the way it is setup now and like the ride height as well . I have not been in a situation where I was like dang I would have made it if I had more flex available.I I just got me some new tires and like everyone I get bored and start to think about upgrading other parts. I love the stability I have now. This is my biggest concern is getting use to the body roll with air shocks. I was going to go with 16 inch travel shocks on the rear and 14 on front. My question would I be better of keeping what I have or going to air shocks, also could I get by with 2.0 shocks. here is a picture of my rig. thanks for any advice.

i have had both, keep what ya got. it took a long time and a lot of tire and error to finally get the air shocks tuned to where I did not hate life on side hills.

My brother and unkle both have air shocks on there rigs and we have e everything we need to charge the shocks with. This is what got my wheels to spinning

Looks like you have a nice setup as is, and it's already packaged in there.

Packaging is pretty much the only reason to ever use air shocks.

if you are looking to pick up some speed or ride quality, look about adding some better bump stops (air bumps) or some tuneable shocks (then actually tune them)

The other thing I would like to change one day is I would like to stretch the rear axle back to about 114 inches. Right now I am at 108. My rear driveshaft angle is a little steep. I have a chain welded on my diff to frame for a limiter strap with no slack to keep axle from dropping any further. I have not had any problems with my drivshaft yet but it is something I would like to address one day. On the shocks I am not to worried about the tuning process as I like to tinker with things if there would be a benifit in the end. I guess the question should be would there be much benifit after I was able to get the air shocks tuned over what I am running now

Lol. Thanks I don't have current pictures but did change bump stops on front to air bump stops and plan to do same on rear. Thanks for all the imput. I love this sight and have put my time in reading over post searching for information before I posted this question

If it rides good and is stable now and also you haven't encountered a spot where "you could have made it if you had a whole lot more travel", then the gains vs the extra cost, headache, and time modifying brackets and whatnot are probably not worth it. BUT...if you were to snap your fingers and your rig magically appeared with properly tuned air shocks on all 4 corners in the travel you specified, you may be really happy with the way it performs. I bought my rig Leaf sprung front with 4 link rear with 2.0 18" Fox Air Shocks. Leaned like ****.....like could have easily flipped it over on flat ground if I tried lol. I took the 18" 2.0's off and put some 16" 2.5's on and it is 10x better! Really happy with the way it does now.

There are so many different tuning factors with air shocks and if you don't understand them inside and out and how tuning this affects that, it can make for one helluva headache. Having air shocks doesn't automatically mean you are cursed with body roll, having IMPROPERLY tuned air shocks means body roll.

*Sweet spot on air shocks is when you have only 4-6" of shaft showing so that should be taken into consideration when predetermining ride height and mounting brackets and tune them around that factor.

*Adding more oil to the shock or even going to a heavier weight (in extreme cases) will increase the shock's ramp rate in turn decreasing body roll.

*Read a lot about valving and what works. If adding oil doesn't solve body roll (if body roll is experienced), then going to a heavier valving ratio may be what fixes the issue.

*Charging with nitrogen only adjust ride height. Like stated before, fill to wherever ride height is perfect that's between 4-6" of shaft showing on level ground.

I also would suggest going with 2.5's, because like someone on here said when I was researching this topic, "There's no replacement for displacement."

The 2.5's on the rear of my truck came off of Brandon Dillon's Ford buggy, below I will post a vid of his buggy and you will def be able to see how stable his rig is on the side of a majorly steep bounty hill. And no, I don't believe he is running any sort of sway bars either. After running the 2.5 air shocks for a while, he went to coilovers, but then again, he's bouncing, not crawling, so I don't blame him.

Brandon Dillon VS the Adventure Off Road Park $10,000 bounty hill

And here are a few good reads on air shocks that I've found useful in understanding a few things about air shocks and some feedback from others during the tuning process.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/Fox%20Airshox%20Rebuild.pdf

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/740068-tuning-fox-2-5-air-shocks.html

Also go to poly performance's website for a full parts list of all the internal parts you could possibly need and new valve stacks for tuning. Also this site encases Fox specs that are very important for tuning. You'll find the valving spec chart to see the different diameters of the each valve of both the compression and rebound valve stack if you decide to revalve. And you will find the factory volume of oil that comes stock in each size air shocks so you will be able to properly measure when adding/subtracting oil.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Fox-2.5-Air-Shocks-p-182.html#.UmdZ05wo74g

You don't have to buy new, post up in the wanted section and keep an eye out on the classifieds for someone going from 2.5 airs to coilovers, eventually you'll find a deal. I personally wouldn't waste my time with 2.0's. Although I never tried to tune my 2.0's, I just didn't want to waste time and frustration tuning a lighter duty shock because of how bad my body roll was. So I bought the 2.5's with my fingers crossed and the intent of tuning them best as possible if they didn't work, but I got lucky and they fixed my problem. I'm sure Pirate has a ton more info than just the few links I posted. So keep searching until you find enough info to where you feel you know what to expect when swapping to air shocks. One thing that was hard for me to settle on was the fact that you can't precalculate or predict **** with air shocks. You may buy some and it take no tuning and work like a charm....or it could be a nightmare the way mine was when I bought it. It's simply trial and error with tuning. If you have the time to mess around with them, then you surely should be able to tune them to where you are happy with them.

Good luck!

Not persuading you toward air shocks, obviously it would be the tits if you could just go buy 4 brand new King coilovers. But if you run across some cheap 2.5's, might be something to think about. You still have somewhat of the tuning process to go through with coilovers unless you get all your corner weights nailed down and talk to somebody like Jimmy Penner at EOR about your weights, etc. and he sets you up some coilovers that are spot on right off the bat.

I wheel with a couple guys that still run coil sprung rigs and they go some places that I don't go.

All just food for thought.

Someone must have hacked into JD's profile.... :flipoff1: Never knew he had it in him. :****:

Re:

Thanks for all the information. I think I will just stick with what I Have for now. It's seems like to much sugar for a nickel to me. After reevaluating everything I guess real problem I was having was ride quality. I had a jerry riged bumpstop setup that would rattle you're teeth every time you hit a hard bump. I installed a set of air bumpstops on the front 2 dsys ago. I have not had a chance to take it on ride yet. I plan to put some on the rear as well. Hopefully that will be all I need. The shocks I have are rancho shocks 10 " travel in rear and rancho 12" travel in front. Would I be better of upgrading my shocks. If so what would be good direction to go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

is that Kevin's old Chassis? that thing turned out awesome looking dude :dblthumb:

ps- air shocks suck, save up for coilovers and you will thank yourself later.

Re:

I cant remember who guys name was I bought it from. He was from Oklahoma

Re:

Thanks I have had it about a year. I converted it over to propane and put full hydraulic steering on it. I love the rig