• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some info on yukon or USA gears

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
I ordered some e-locker gears and by mistake i didnt specify i wanted yukon, no biggie, I got USA standard gears from randy's sent to me instead. When i called the guy i ordered them from this morning, he said they might be out of stock of the yukon gears, but he would see what the price difference was, he had quoted me for the USA originally.

My question:
What quality are the USA standard gears? Has anyone had any problems with them? They say theyre made in S korea. Except I dont know where yukons are made so...?

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the hassle of paying some more money and waiting for the yukons I meant to get. my fault. :corn:

I have installed lots and lots of sets of them, with no issues. Set up nice. They are made by Yukon, only thing is the cut isnt as nice, so may be a little noisier on the road. Quality and strength are still there though.

You'll be fine running those, Yukon really ain't what they used to be imo

Ok, I've heard from a few people theyre not as bad as i first thought. The thing i'm really pissed about though....

Is that they sent me nice glossy posters of the randy's girls, but didn't include one of the redhead! :mad::mad::mad:

Ok, I've heard from a few people theyre not as bad as i first thought. The thing i'm really pissed about though....

Is that they sent me nice glossy posters of the randy's girls, but didn't include one of the redhead! :mad::mad::mad:

The gears are great, no issues, we've installed lots as well. Diana (the brunette) is cuter anyways. hahaha

The gears are great, no issues, we've installed lots as well. Diana (the brunette) is cuter anyways. hahaha

Thanks.

Not saying the others girls are bad, but it's like getting a new pack of baseball cards. You know theyre going to be good, but you still expect that special edition card. :D

Last edited:
Not saying the others girls are bad, but it's like getting a new pack of baseball cards. You know theyre going to be good, but you still expect that special edition card. :D

Sorry, I got nothin' of the redhead, only Alizia and Diana. :D:haha:

newgirl_green_jeep_019.jpg

green_jeep_058.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why do you think this? I think Yukon has improved greatly from where they used to be a few years back.

I dont give a **** what they sell or how good it is. The service is not great IMO.

Theres a reason that they bought warns axle division. Theres a reason they only care about purple stickers. Ive never seen them out or on backorder for yukon stickers.

I dont like putting in a back order to wait for months and then finally call and be told that they were reupped but now sold out again and Ill have to wait on backorder AGIAN.

I dont like it when customers think Im jewing them on gear prices. I have an account at randys and Im NOT a big volume buyer so I pay more for gears on my account than I can buy them as a nobody off of ebay.

Makes me look bad when I quote a set of gears and the customers says, I can get the same gears off of ebay for 30 bucks less, why are you so expensive?

I know, you say, buy more gears, get more volume, get better deals. I dont have a big shop nor do I want one. But I dont like how they PUNISH small LOCAL bizz by catering to the volume buyers.

Pretty sure I remember when randy was a normal guy that raced at Oakwood arena way back. That was before purple stickers were too important.

4WParts does the same ****. Their internet sale prices (available to ANYONE) are lower than my wholesale price. Wholesale dealers dont get sales pricing.

Maybe Im a bad bizman or misinformed, but I dont ENJOY dealing with them and avoid it if I can.

Nothing like spending YUKON money and being sent a set of trailgear gears cuz "they are outta stock".

Guess I haven't experienced those issues, Brad. That would be kinda annoying. I'm by no means a large shop, I do a low but steady volume with them, get reasonable pricing, make reasonable mark up, and do ok at it.

Nothing like spending YUKON money and being sent a set of trailgear gears cuz "they are outta stock".

Don't misenterpret me if thats what's happening here, I'm not dogging on randys or the guy i bought from, the guy i bought from quoted me for USA gears and that's what i got, i neglected to specify yukon. no biggie. I would be PISSED if i said yukon, got priced for yukon and got lesser gears, not the case here.:awesomework:

Im with you Brad. Same **** with me and you wont see anything in my shop or on my rigs or my customers rigs from Randy's or Yukon.

I have a very good hook up for axle parts with over a 20% cut in price and they are never out of stock.

Here's a question: I just called randy's, A guy said you can run 4cyl 8" gears in a e-locker diff with an extra .242" pinion shim. Does this sound feasable? I thought you could only use the V6 gears with an e-locker...? :eeek:

They have the 4cyl 8" gears in stock...

EDIT:

That just seems like TOO much shim for my liking on a pinion....:eeek:

Last edited:
:corn::corn:

look the cooks eating!!:corn::corn::D
i have never had a problem with randys!!! and was always treated better then i expected... hell i even took a diff in with a locker i wasnt sure about... guys took it in back opened it up real quick looked it over,and gave me a big thumbs up.. said it was good,bring it in when i need something no charge!!!:awesomework:

Last edited:
I kept breaking teeth on my Sammy gears(Yukon) and no warranty on the 5.89 gears.I new there was no warranty on them but they wouldn't cut me a deal on my 4th set so I went with Sierra gear from West coast diffs and paid less and have had no breaking issues.My Detroits were almost $80 less than Randy's also from WC.