• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some powerstroke guys

84turbotoy

I have an 02 f350 4x4 with automatic, i have a 6 position ts chip from advanced diesel. Here is the issue, i was getting on the interstate and it seemed to neutralize going into 3rd gear (reved to about 2800) and then shifted hard, the hard shift has been normal in all gears since I got the chip but it has done it several more times today. I'm hoping someone has ran into this and maybe it electrical and is a quick fix or something that can be repaired before any serious damage. Its done it in 1st 2nd and 3rd all at different times and doesnt always do it. I checked the fluid and it is at a normal level, however it did smell a little cooked to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[edit] It has 140,00 miles and i run it on 100 over stock mostly. It also does this in any setting on the chip including stock.

Re: Re: Need some powerstroke guys

Have you called them? ..
Fords with autos should shift harder if getting in it. It helps not to burn the clutches in the autos. . I can shift smooth if I want but it will shift hard just shifting on its own. I would call the chip manufacturer and ask
From the empty bottle

drich394 said:
Have you called them? ..
Fords with autos should shift harder if getting in it. It helps not to burn the clutches in the autos. . I can shift smooth if I want but it will shift hard just shifting on its own. I would call the chip manufacturer and ask
From the empty bottle

I haven't called them yet but was about to.

I would think its not in the tuning if it hasn't always done it. And with the fluid smelling alittle burnt, I would start with a filter and fluid. And not a "flush machine" every builder I have talked to, and its been quite a few owning dodge and ford trucks, lol, say that ussually cause more problems on a trans that aint in tip top shape.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Kind of sounds to me like you got standard Generic tunes and they are giving troubles with the trans. The tuning won't change, but the trans will wear out prematurely from crappy tunes. I'm guessing your trans needs a fluid and filter change, possibly a valve body upgrade. You'll know more about how bad the trans is when you get the pan off and you see what's in the magnet. Let me know if you need anything, I know these 7.3's pretty well.

Mine did the same thing the locked up and slide me sideways in the road so I would check everything you could but sounds like to me it's losing line pressure and causing the slip so I could just be the filter but while your in there go ahead and put a valve body in it it's pretty simple and can be done in less than an hour, I put the bully dog shift kit in mine and made a world of difference, that's just my thoughts take them how you want to.

Not a Ford, but my Duramax did something similar and would put the trans into fault and not allow overdrive to work. Turned out the tune was too hot for the trans and a shift kit cured it.

Ford trans need a good constant voltage. Mine did something similar, sounds stupids but check for corrosion on battery terminals.

I talked to advanced diesel (people I got the chip from) they were less than helpful and had no real answers other than my trans was fawked. I called bts and a few other renowned builders and the only that answered was Jeff Garmon, he said it sounds electrical 100% and told me to run the codes. So I guess I'm taking her to my buddies this evening to put on the best Mac scanner that's out right now.
e4u7ehud.jpg
aby3a3ys.jpg

I've had this on the self for awhile and I think I may put this in with a filter change to cover my bases.

Sent with telegraph

I finally found someone in town that could read the codes. Mattman I got a couple questions. It threw an icm code, my check engine light has been on awhile and when it goes off it picks up throttle instantly and then goes right back when it comes back on, any ideas on that one? Back to the trans problem, it threw a low internal pressure on the trans but nothing else so I went to my parts man and got 20qts of mercon v and a filter kit. Fingers crossed I'm gonna do the flush with a new filter and shift kit. Has anyone done the crank it 3 times to flush fluid method?

Sent with telegraph

Most or all the stock trans that came behind the 7.3 had a drain plug in the torque converter. If ur planning changing all the fluid, your gonna need to drain the converter if u can

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

84turbotoy said:
I finally found someone in town that could read the codes. Mattman I got a couple questions. It threw an icm code, my check engine light has been on awhile and when it goes off it picks up throttle instantly and then goes right back when it comes back on, any ideas on that one? Back to the trans problem, it threw a low internal pressure on the trans but nothing else so I went to my parts man and got 20qts of mercon v and a filter kit. Fingers crossed I'm gonna do the flush with a new filter and shift kit. Has anyone done the crank it 3 times to flush fluid method?

Sent with telegraph

ICP code? You could be throwing a low oil pressure code and that sends the computer into default and will defuel. Where are you located? Or it could be an IDM code?

Mattman347 said:
ICP code? You could be throwing a low oil pressure code and that sends the computer into default and will defuel. Where are you located? Or it could be an IDM code?
he said it was the control box for the injectors on the valve cover. I'm in Cordova Al 35550.

Sent with telegraph

Yeah, thats an IDM box. It could have trouble with water contamination or something, or could be in the wiring itself. If you need anything, give me a call at the shop and i would be happy to help. 615-962-8291 (Full Force Diesel)

unhook the chip and drive the truck and see how it acts. I've had SEVERAL powerstrokes and had one with the same chip and the chip went bad and cost me a tranny. The tranny was acting funny but I couldn't find anything wrong with it when I checked it. I took the chip out and sent it back to Bully Dog and they checked the chip and found out that it had not been "burnt" correctly and it wasn't increasing the line pressures enough in the tranny. They burnt it again and sent it back to me. Take it out and see if she still acts funny before tearing into the tranny.

I have 20 quarts of luid and the filter in the shop floor, i just parked the truck for a few days until I can get to it. Maybe I'll be finished with this racecar by the weekend and will have time to unhook the chip and try that first.