• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Goodyear Wrangler MTRs

dobber

Anybody running them on a trail rig. just watched the new 09 Utimate Adventure and they look like they hook up pretty good. Im in the market for a trail only tire. Any experinace please share. thanks

Be aware that the bead and immediate sidewall above are WAY thicker than the average tire. So if you have beadlocks,DIY or other, you will probably have some trouble getting the clampring to "fit".Yes,longer bolts will probably be needed but we've seen the need to reshape the clampring to get it to "seat" onto the tire better........FWIW.

Just wheeled a Brand new set and drove 600+ miles this weekend on the 35x12.5x15 MT/R kevlars. Did great. True 35" tire. mounted at 30 psi were 34 15/16" We wheeled in some shitty ice/snow/sand snow stuff this weekend and the tires did great. great Ice traction forward and reverse, Need to air down ALOT for a good bulge. we were at 8-10 psi and felt that they could have dropped to 5-6 psi safely. Rig weighed :eek: 5100 pounds loaded this weekend. Did great on the highway, Quiet and smooth at 75 mph. Got 8 oz of airsoft in each tire, and might remove an ounce or so, very true tire. Will get more varied surfaces soon. but they seem to do well in the Ice/snow so far. We didnt sink to china, and kept progress (for the most part) Seem like a very tough tire though. Thick sidewall. The new tread seems to work better than a KM2/old style MT/R so far on the street/Ice and snow. Havent been in any mud/trails yet, but soon. Gripped Icy rocks well, and seemed to sidehill pretty damn good in the Icy Snow. We went over some drifts that were 6-8 feet deep, and only sunk when we had all the weight transferred to one tire sidehilling. When sank, a little shovel work and some carefull driving got us out. Hopefully we get to have some powder snow testing soon :cool: These are on DumpsterDriver's XJ.

a few friends of mine run them in az and they do excellent in the rocks. (not alot of rocks up here) but performed very well from what i saw

dumpster in question-

Yes thats a wood window. James is a carpenter :haha:

Attachments

• dumpster..jpg
    dumpster..jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 123
Just wheeled a Brand new set and drove 600+ miles this weekend on the 35x12.5x15 MT/R kevlars. Did great. True 35" tire. mounted at 30 psi were 34 15/16" We wheeled in some shitty ice/snow/sand snow stuff this weekend and the tires did great. great Ice traction forward and reverse, Need to air down ALOT for a good bulge. we were at 8-10 psi and felt that they could have dropped to 5-6 psi safely. Rig weighed :eek: 5100 pounds loaded this weekend. Did great on the highway, Quiet and smooth at 75 mph. Got 8 oz of airsoft in each tire, and might remove an ounce or so, very true tire. Will get more varied surfaces soon. but they seem to do well in the Ice/snow so far. We didnt sink to china, and kept progress (for the most part) Seem like a very tough tire though. Thick sidewall. The new tread seems to work better than a KM2/old style MT/R so far on the street/Ice and snow. Havent been in any mud/trails yet, but soon. Gripped Icy rocks well, and seemed to sidehill pretty damn good in the Icy Snow. We went over some drifts that were 6-8 feet deep, and only sunk when we had all the weight transferred to one tire sidehilling. When sank, a little shovel work and some carefull driving got us out. Hopefully we get to have some powder snow testing soon :cool: These are on DumpsterDriver's XJ.

bring that dumpster over. and I think your full of ****

thanks for the info, Im not sure if they said it for the video but when people were talking about the tires one rig owner said they went on their beadlocks really good, they also happend to have the same rims as I have. Im pretty much looking at the Goodyears, Iroks and Krawlers. Goodyears are looking good, Iroks are the cheapest and seem to work pretty well around here and krawlers are hard to come by.

Blue label Crawlers are easy to get, walk into any Costco.

Iroks have a not so hot reputation on the street, wear fast. Atleast Bias.

I liked my old-style MT/R's as an all-around, street friendly tire. I always thought the new MT/R's didn't looks as aggressive as the old ones, and I don't like the asymmetrical style. But if performance is good....... time will tell.

I am curious about the new BFG, they look nice, but haven't (web) researched their performance.

My future son-in-law had a set on his Jeep. I drove it on Father's day. They seemed to work quite well at Evans. The sidewall isn't quite aggressive enough IMO. Not too loud on the road either.

I talked to a few of buddys that were on the UA 2009 and they weren't nearly as complimentary as the video. They tore up quite a few on the trip and the guys were unhappy with their mud grip.

From all reports, GY is saying that this tire is much softer (understandable- it's better now on rocks) and they expect less mileage from it.

I know a few guys that have them and, so far, they have been very happy with them. My concern is about how they'll be when they're down to 70% tread or lower. The old MT/R really changed as they wore. I'd like to see how they work in our mud and snow without brand new, sharp lugs.

I have to admit that I was less than impressed with their ability to climb out of the ruts. That is where the more aggressive sidewall would come in to it.