• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new guy has some questions

Mattmitchell

Hey guys I'm new to the rock clawling/ bouncing thing and me and a buddy are looking to build a buggy of some kind. We like the idea of making a tubed from like all of the bouncing buggys I've seen but we wouldn't exactly be doing anything like what guy guys do. One there just not much like that anround here and two we don't exacly have all that much cash to play with. So here is what we where thinken:
Get an old truck pull the engine tranny and axless out
Get 200-300 feet of 1.75 diameter tubeing with an 1/8inch wall
And some shocks still have to look into thos. Like I said com plely new to this
And then lay it all out in the shop and start building the fram around it all. Probily going to get some plans to bace it off of but wanted to kno w if we where on the right track here. Thanks guys any help tips and info will help alot

Yea gotta get a bender and a new welder... someone droped the welder outts tthe truck when we where moven last week.... :mad:

But is that the bacic idea to get a worken buggy get the drivetrain and build around it? Seams do able to me just neew to get the cash and parts :dblthumb:

I suggest getting the old truck. Get it running well and put you some good tires and wheels on it. Then WHEEL IT. Look at what others have done. Look at what works and what doesn't. Make friends. Have fun. Then get a trailer so you can beat your stuff and not drive it home. Then WHEEL IT. Have fun. Start adding parts to make it better that will transfer to the new build when the time is right. In my opinion, you take a good truck, cut it up, buy a bender, welder, other tools, but lack skills. You are destined to FAIL.

JohnG said:
I suggest getting the old truck. Get it running well and put you some good tires and wheels on it. Then WHEEL IT. Look at what others have done. Look at what works and what doesn't. Make friends. Have fun. Then get a trailer so you can beat your stuff and not drive it home. Then WHEEL IT. Have fun. Start adding parts to make it better that will transfer to the new build when the time is right. In my opinion, you take a good truck, cut it up, buy a bender, welder, other tools, but lack skills. You are destined to FAIL.
Please listen to this. I took a perfectly good jeep cut the **** outta it thanking I was gonna build me a buggy and be like all the cool guys. I should have listened to what these guys where saying and just wheeled it like I had it built at the time until I learnt more about building them and bending tube. One of the stupidest decisions I've ever made was cutting up that jeep and I still regret it 2 yrs later

JohnG said:
Do this and don't dump a bunch of money in it. Save your money up and just buy something.

There is a lot more to building a buggy than just setting it on the floor and building a frame around it.

4 Real. After you have wheeled a few times then you will know more of what you want and not "rebuild" it 3 times. or more

Re: Re: Re: new guy has some questions

96cherokeexj said:
Please listen to this. I took a perfectly good jeep cut the **** outta it thanking I was gonna build me a buggy and be like all the cool guys. I should have listened to what these guys where saying and just wheeled it like I had it built at the time until I learnt more about building them and bending tube. One of the stupidest decisions I've ever made was cutting up that jeep and I still regret it 2 yrs later
... Learn. ..awesome. .attitude

From the empty bottle

Re: Re: Re: new guy has some questions

wgamble said:
4 Real. After you have wheeled a few times then you will know more of what you want and not "rebuild" it 3 times. or more

Wish I would have done this. I've sold rigs as capable as my ranger for 1/4 of what I have in the pos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Re:

Yup wheel something and learn your style and what you want out of a rig and then start building towards your end goal or buy something close to what you want and make it yours!!

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

xjcrawler said:
Surely this is just somebody ****ing with Hardline! :gay: :gtfo:

I'm not ****ing with u. My buddy wants to build a buggy cause he doesn't like the truck he was runnen and it has a **** frame. We where looking into using parts of the frame that are still good instead of a completely tubed frame as it will be the first buggy for us. Was just asking if we where hedging down the right path as to what parts to be watching for. We are not trying to compete in any comps just make a fun nice looking buggy to take to the trails around here.

Was wondering what size tubeing is suggested? I've been looking at some different build threads and seams like its most commonly 1.75od x .120wt? But have also seen one where it was 2"od x .120wt is one better to use then the other? I mean the 2" has got to be stronger but it's also heaver and cost more so???? :dunno:

Thanks for any help you can give us.

zukimaster said:
**** ya! just get you a tube bender and in a couple of days, you will be riding! :dblthumb:

Sounds like the recipe for another Robby Bobby machine! Wish he'd chime in, Robby Bobby would have all sorts of advice for this'n!

Save your money and wheel what you have till you find out exactly what you want then buy a chassis or build what ever just take the time to do the research before you cut a single tube. I built an s10 it took 2.5 yrs to get enough money and to finish it enough to ride it. But in the end I got what I wanted but now I have changed my mind and gonna build a buggy

Not looken for this to be a fast build at all. All we have right now is a lifted 04 chevy that is beat to ****... Has a 6 in lift 37 swammpers 4 speed tranny with granny low not sure what exactly he has for a motor tranny tcase in it but where thinking of useing the drive train and axles outta that. Just need to know more about what I'd need to find for parts for a buggy and start doing my homework on em and seeing if it's worth maken one.we are still wheelen the truck for now he goes to some of the mud runs near by and ride the trails out back. The thing is fallen apart and has a ****ed frame and he wants to switch gears moven to trails/crawlen.

Don't worry I'm not gonna go out any buy 300 feet of tube pull the engine and try to make one tomorrow just looken for info guys anything you can give us will help :****:

I am still trying to figure out the 04 chevy with a 4 speed granny gear transmission..... :popcorn:

Latest posts