• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Product feedback

40spline.com

NEVER LIFT!
Looking for feedback on a new product we've developed. 14 bolt 1410 yoke, forged out of 4340, 180 degree u-joint cap retaining shoulder (as opposed to the nub), and compatible with standard u-bolts but will also accept chromo u-joint girdles that we will sell as an option for full 360 degree cap support. Retail would be about $250. We would most likely offer a 1480 version as well for the guys with nuts that drag the ground.

I've got the drawings, tooling, and everything done and ready to go. The problem is the high startup cost and relatively low margin in the part plus I've been focused on getting our spool and shaft business running smoothly before moving onto anything else. The enthusiast in me wants to build the part because I think there's a need. The business man in me says it's a long path to payback if at all, and the current market options aren't exactly bad I just think there's room for improvement.

Thoughts?

Great idea. Don't think the price is terrible for what you are offering. But, like you said it will be a very limited market...until TC wears one of your shirts and drops your name in his next new buggy feature in a week or two then it will be full on :tc

matth_85 said:
Great idea. Don't think the price is terrible for what you are offering. But, like you said it will be a very limited market...until TC wears one of your shirts and drops your name in his next new buggy feature in a week or two then it will be full on :tc

molaugh :rolf: molaugh

Seriously though, if I were starting a build from scratch, I'd buy em. Right now I'm just set in my damned Ford ways with no need to upgrade... YET. :dblthumb:

I'm kinda new to these bigger axles but is there any benefits to using a traditional style yoke as opposed to a flange style?

Re: Re: New Product feedback

Beerj said:
I'm kinda new to these bigger axles but is there any benefits to using a traditional style yoke as opposed to a flange style?
Less bulk and longer drive line length

Re: Re: Re: New Product feedback

Beerj said:
I thought I heard it helped with angles as well. I broke my 1350 WFO yoke and when I called them about a new one they said that they had been having a lot of problems with people breaking them especially on our side of the country. He was asking me all kinds of questions about how I broke it because they wanted to make a better one. Said he only knew of one place making a forged yoke and it was like $750 plus you had to use some crazy expensive u joint straps.

1410 nine inch with 35 spline pinon. I have 1410 at T case but am limited to 1350 at the rear nine inch. With a short drive shaft, round flanges and CV's make things get complicated real fast v.s. the angles the 1410 joint can reach.

Re: Re: Re: New Product feedback

onepieceatatime said:
I thought I heard it helped with angles as well. I broke my 1350 WFO yoke and when I called them about a new one they said that they had been having a lot of problems with people breaking them especially on our side of the country. He was asking me all kinds of questions about how I broke it because they wanted to make a better one. Said he only knew of one place making a forged yoke and it was like $750 plus you had to use some crazy expensive u joint straps.

I got nothing bad to say about WFO as a company but I have held one of those yokes in my hands and I did not think it would last very long under a serious rock rig. It looked like a cheap cast piece to me. U-bolt yokes are getting harder to find in general ever since Spicer pretty much switched exclusively to straps.

Hudson1 said:
1410 nine inch with 35 spline pinon. I have 1410 at T case but am limited to 1350 at the rear nine inch. With a short drive shaft, round flanges and CV's make things get complicated real fast v.s. the angles the 1410 joint can reach.

Nailed it. 1410 joint can achieve great angles which is important with all the travel people run these days. Plus extra driveline length vs a flange.